Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th '80 Trans am SE turbo

Nick Winter

Maybe instead of representing a R4 series compressor like the one in the picture above it is supposed to be an A6 see attached, with the high side muffler? It still looks like a starter motor with a solenoid though... ?

The lump should (solenoid looking part) be silver if it is the muffler, If it supposed to be the oil reservoir it should be on the bottom. The compressor in this picture is positioned upside down.

I am glad Jimmy got banned.

You are doing a fine job Nick.

post-4953-0-23076100-1304476319_thumb.jp

Edited by seveeRRacing

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick...don't know if your still working on this or not, but in looking at your engine pic I have a couple observations...one is that your A/C comp. sure looks like a starter to me, but that aside if you look at it, what's holding it and the pulley up besides the belts? same for the alternator. I've never seen this kit so I don't know if their are brackets of some sort supplied, I would think in a large scale kit they would have engineered it better if this is the way the instr. show buttt.. this is a common problem with many 1/24/25 kits where things like the alternator are apparently "floating" on air :lol: I usually fashion my own brackets so I'm not surprised if this is how they made it...anyways good luck on this project, hope ya get er done :)

nick, i happen to agree with you and i hope i haven't stomped on your thread. while it may be the wrong type/ style compressor. it is still the compressor. keep up the good work.

mark, i happen to agree with you too but,.....if your going to take the time to scratch build the correct compressor at least give the correct info on plumbing it.

bob, i hope i didn't step on your toes but, the location and position of that piece don't lend themselves to where a drier would be located.

kevin, model companies make mistakes all the time. it is a modelers choice as to whether to correct them or leave them go. i would, though, expect the "expert modelers" to be expert at something before dishing out "incorrect" information.

nick, again my apologies. you're doing a great job. i won't interrupt your thread again.

Rick, Mike, Mitch, Brian, and Dan it is not the starter, for about the fifth time, below is a series of photos, because I'm tired of this.

FILE0984-1.jpg

FILE0983-1.jpg

FILE0985-1.jpg

If you still think that's the starter, take it up with Fundementions, circa 1979

Nick

Ditch the attitude, Nick. You had been acting more grown up, mature for awhile; don't revert to "Early-Attitude Nick."

Points for "Grown-Up Nick" to consider:

1. Each of us who posted a comment about the screwball part did so in a constructive manner with the goal of helping you improve the appearance of your model. None of the comments were flames, none attacked you personally or made any reference to your skills or intelligence. Chill out.

2. The part in question looks more like a starter motor with top-mounted solenoid than any air conditioning component I've ever seen, and it's obviously the same for the others who posted similar concerns. Don't attack people who mean well, have no ill-intentioned motives, and are merely trying to help. You don't like being attacked, so why would you think it is okay for you to attack people who are trying to help you?

3. The kit manufacturer obviously created a part with questionable appearance. You're right about one thing; it happens. The posters (myself included) are not familiar with the kit and did not know the manufacturer identified the part by number and called for its installation on the fanbelt. You could have commented that, yes, it looked like a starter and politely displayed the parts and relevant portions of the instructions (as you eventually did) and ended the discussion without the emotional, snippy, "Early-Attitude Nick" over-reaction and without creating any further ill feelings.

4. Another young builder recently posted pictures of a work in progress where he glued the taillights backwards into the exterior of the rear panel of the model when they were intended to be installed from the interior. A couple of well-meaning posters (yes, myself included) pointed out the error. The young builder replied that the instructions called out that installation, he thought it looked wrong at the time but he followed the instructions faithfully, and he thanked the posters for bringing the error to his attention and for suggesting the correct installation. All concerned agreed: the instructions were badly drawn and created the situation by appearing to call for installation from the exterior. The young builder fixed the error and was appreciative that others helped him improve the appearance of his model.

That is a mature and well-adjusted attitude and reaction. He did not take the pointers or constructive criticism as a personal attack on him; he did not get beliggerant; he did not attack the posters; he learned and gained from the experience; and he had a better model as a result. He also learned first-hand that sometimes model kits contain manufacturer-caused errors, but the builder can access research, resources, and information from a variety of places ~ including other builders ~ that can help him overcome his own limitations and improve his skills and techniques ... if he's receptive.

I thought you had learned that from prior skirmishes. I hope you merely forgot for a brief few moments. You have come a long way. I trust you'll resume being "Grown-Up Nick" rather than reverting to the drama, trauma and self-destruction of "Early Attitude Nick."

Meant with all sincerity and the goodness of my heart. I'll even throw in an endangered Emoticon for good measure! :wub:

maybe if grown up dan would offer an apology for being wrong about what he said in the first place (good intentions don't make being wrong o.k.), maybe early attitude nick wouldn't have emerged. just a thought.

Since you called me out - - -

First of all, I was not wrong ~ it looks more like a starter than anybody's compressor. Nick was not wrong either -- about the part. As it happens, it was a poorly designed part that does not look like what it was supposed to represent. I did not know that and apparently Nick did not know how much it failed to represent an A/C compressor.

Regardless, I ... and the others ... did nothing to apologize for. We did not attack Nick and we were not wrong in interpreting the part in question as a starter.

And none of that is justification for childish behavior ... or for condoning and enabling childish behavior by making excuses for it. That's more than just a thought.

~

As I stated, the crux of the matter is that Nick had behaved childishly during a period of time on this board but he grew out of it and has been fine for some time. I was trying to help him, as were the others, but he lashed out at us ... much like he often did in the past, in the "Early Attitude Nick" era.

nick, again my apologies. you're doing a great job. i won't interrupt your thread again.

Ah, but (point of fact) you did.

mark, look you seem like a nice guy. and i truly don't want to turn this into a peeing match but, while i didn't have all 8 ase certs. i had 7 i really didn't want to get into automatics. i spent 3 yrs. of vocational training learning my craft. i've been to 20 or so ford certified training schools (you see we share a common thread i'm a ford guy.). my racing accomplishments include designing and building my own drysump oiling system, building my own aluminum intake manifolds, building my own computerized cyl. head flow bench, building my own 35 foot wind tunnel. should i go on? i can. how about, i competed in the second world's fastest street car shootout in orlando with the only ford powered ford (naturally aspirated too. no juice) to compete. we were qualified until an empty co2 bottle ruined our final pass. i ran a five speed A/dragster in comp. for a couple of years. besides a host of other bracket cars. let's see, oh yeah. peeing contest............ are we done? do i meet what ever criteria it is you and the rest of the self righteous, sanctimoneous jack's on this site need to play here? who died and left you in charge? you figured... what? nick was to stupid understand anything so technical? oh , that's right you were only trying to avoid confusing the kid. yeah, right. while nick may have been wrong for his response. he should still get an apology for the incorrect remarks that sparked his out burst. nick again i apologize for cutting into your thread. and don't worry, i won't do it again.

Instead of scratchbuilding a more accurate compressor, scratchbuilding a mounting bracket (after all, the compressor has limited supernatural powers and can't keep its drive belt in tension by magic), and worrying about how the refrigerant lines are routed, I have a far simpler solution:

Throw out that wacky "compressor" and cut off the associated drive belt.

Presto. Instant, easy fix.

Instead of scratchbuilding a more accurate compressor, scratchbuilding a mounting bracket (after all, the compressor has limited supernatural powers and can't keep its drive belt in tension by magic),

icp_magnets.jpg?w=300&h=195

Looking great so far Nick, your building skills have certainly been improving!

and thus my point is made. "grown up" harry apologized (even though he thought he may have been right at the start) for making an incorrect or wrong comment. causing mark to come out with his "more fun to punch me in the crotch" comment. now if only the rest of the "grown ups" would just grow up............ and mark for "public" record i apologize to you. i thought your "they were just trying to help" comment was an attempt to sweep the dirt under the rug.

edit: this whole thing had nothing to do with the compressor.....

Edited by comp1839