Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford roadster gluebomb rework. April 26: back on track

Ace-Garageguy

Glad this one resurfaced again Bill. Nice work.

Glad to see this one back on the bench!

Thank you thank you. I'm really trying to finish this one before I go off on another tangent.   :D

Man, if they would finish themselves up I'd sure appreciate it too.

I'm right there with you on accuracy, the impression is all that matters. If anyone got into my model with a micrometer to measure for accuracy, I'd drag him off by his ear.

I think you know I can be a real horse's backside when it comes to accuracy where it shows, but in this case, somebody would have to be a lot more anal than I am to get in under the decklid to measure the hole centers and diameters. Funny thing is, I almost re-did the whole panel to get it right.  <_<

• 2 years later...
On 4/30/2017 at 2:07 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks. I kinda thought I'd make a lot of progress on her this weekend, but real-life is getting in the way. I'm getting anxious to see her finished after all these years. :D

Me too! ?. I’ve been patiently waiting for the past 30 months for the next update! 

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Me too! ?. I’ve been patiently waiting for the past 30 months for the next update! 

Thanks again for your interest. She's back on the bench again as of late last night. If I don't get too carried away with stuff I was considering (like working lights), I can most likely have her presentable for the ACME show here in November.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, bamadon said:

I'm glad to see this and the Corvette back on track. I rarely comment but your builds are all like tutorials for models I would love to build. The attempt to build as close to reality as possible is what is truly impressive.

I really appreciate your interest and comment, Don.

Yeah, trying to build them so I could measure and scale-up to build a real car seems to be an obsession with me. It often leads me into problems that would be pretty easy to solve in full-scale, but because of the limited space available for hands and access in general in 1/24-1/25, it can take me a while to figure out what to do, or just to decide what to let slide.

Frankly, I got in a little over my head on this one too...skill-wise. There are some things I wouldn't do now the way I did earlier, and a few things I got kinda stuck on. My further-refined skills and additional tools today give me enough...I think...to bring her on home without too much backtracking.

Thanks again for your continued interest.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

OCT. 01, 2019 UPDATE

Got the inside of the deck the way I want it. The center hole is bumped up on the real panel to support the center of the outer skin, and isn't actually a hole. Though nobody will ever probably notice, I wanted it kinda right.

DSCN1516.JPG.7499b12c988563d3c7bc96f90801cbd2.JPG

Filling it gave an acceptable look, but sanding a round depression turned out to be more of a trick than I'd anticipated. The solution was to glue a dot of sandpaper to a short length of round styrene and twirl.

DSCN1517.JPG.f2bcc4db7b358c105b1246a4a9744946.JPG

Installed back on the hinges, this is what will be visible from the rear when it's open.

DSCN1523.thumb.JPG.26382f64aff90b3065d3ff578656839c.JPG

The body of the car was shot with Ace Hardware black lacquer several years back. All it needed was to be polished up a little after shrinking in more over time, but I couldn't find the can to shoot the deck. I had some Duplicolor Universal Black, and used that. Anybody who shoots real cars will know all blacks don't match. The Duplicolor is blacker, so the whole car will get scuffed and shot with additional coats so all the panels will match each other. The Duplicolor sands and polishes nicely, so it should look decent in the end. Right now the deck is pretty grainy.

DSCN1525.thumb.JPG.fa464ab551d2abd5726e72b25756169c.JPG

The right side of the firewall was really tight up against the engine. It's an old resin part I found somewhere, and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't use it as it's kinda rough. Not wanting to backtrack too much at this point, I'm just hogging it out for added clearance, and I'll rework the ribs slightly for a cleaner look.

DSCN1526.thumb.JPG.957ff8d703684aeb178ca3fccb25ec1c.JPG

You can see from the shadow that there's now sufficient clearance between the firewall and cylinder head to be OK if the thing was real.

DSCN1522.thumb.JPG.e96daf4118446081a2eb04ede94db431.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, Snake45 said:

You see ANY hope of finishing either this one or the Vette by the end of the year? We're about to start a new round of the Bring Out Your Dead build and we'd love to have you on board! 

Thanks Snake. I was kinda shooting for the show here on Nov.2, but there are a lot of fiddly bits to finish up (that were the main reasons for shelving this one earlier). She's close, but I have no idea how long it will take to get all the way, and real life still seems to get the majority of my time.  :D

OCT. 13, 2019 UPDATE

I got 404'd and booted off the site for an hour after trying to post repeatedly. I've just got back on and successfully uploaded some update pix sans text. They're pretty self explanatory. Anybody have any questions, feel free.

EDIT: OK. We'll try text again.

One of the more frequent problems I see on '32 Fords is poor hood fit. There's potential for this one to be bad, as lots has changed regarding the body placement on the frame, and my trademark mod of the grille shell to eliminate the overbite look some of these cars have. I forgot to use the primered hood that was already fitted perfectly before I cut it apart, as the project had been on hold for so long. I have to use a complete hood as a jig, and there are differences between different AMT '32 Ford kits and issues. We'll be using the beige one to start. It's securely taped to the body and grille shell initially.

DSCN1530.thumb.JPG.d1ef987df1605cf1a44bd0e36f02cb54.JPG

For repeatability during final assembly, the radiator gets tight fitting pins that go into the front crossmember. The rad in turn positively locates the grille shell later.

DSCN1531.thumb.JPG.e00fe44fe6ca13a4c059b31ae913bd5b.JPG

Still clears the engine fan as required.

DSCN1533.thumb.JPG.07f3ef22139d6e149c932e46c07170ff.JPG

Front frame rails are bobbed for a clean look with no spreader-bar. The light bar will be removable so I can display the model without it, on different rubber for dry-lakes race work.

DSCN1534.thumb.JPG.1131559f266b517f948f9539ae7dbfab.JPG

Rear frame rails are also bobbed because of the rolled pan. Supports will hold the fuel tank behind the seat, with the fuel-level sender relocated.

DSCN1535.thumb.JPG.d8fbf9eda203e234a6084b733f7367dd.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Additional update pix, sans text. I'll probably go back in and post the captions later, but I'm not in the mood to deal with somebody else's software glitches right now.

EDIT: We'll try text again.

Fuel tank was positioned to make room for a full sized spare in the trunk.

DSCN1537.thumb.JPG.6270ca48c5c81da24668e6ff72e8ec13.JPG

Relocated fuel sending unit on top of reconfigured tank.

DSCN1550.JPG.676d31e12ac1c1b313b5a1c117dde9eb.JPG

Had to do some remedial front end work. This was one of the first front axles I made steerable, and I did some things wrong. Quality craftsmanship sometimes requires a willingness to re-do bad work, and working outside the comfort zone guarantees there will be mistakes.

DSCN1560.thumb.JPG.28c5c88630cff4744115c76ddc5ff4ae.JPG

Light bar with the final location of the reflector housings relative to the radiator shell and frame. The lights are a little higher than they were on the first mockup.

DSCN1549.thumb.JPG.60c672a5add06c3f674bf73d348a18b0.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 10/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Coming along nicely. Glad to see that you got the text added. Nice fabrication work.

Thanks Bob. Some of the fab work is a little sloppy at this point, but will get cleaned up towards the end. Sometimes, like while making up the light bar, it's kinda impossible to keep the work as neat as I'd like with only two hands. But like I said, any messiness will be resolved before I call her done.

I'm really enjoying your work on both this and the Corvette. I think the headlights on a deuce look so much better, "pulled in" like this. It's a much cleaner look.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:31 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Quality craftsmanship sometimes requires a willingness to re-do bad work, and working outside the comfort zone guarantees there will be mistakes.

And--This is a great mantra!

On 10/16/2019 at 3:57 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I'm really enjoying your work on both this and the Corvette. I think the headlights on a deuce look so much better, "pulled in" like this. It's a much cleaner look.

And--This is a great mantra!

Thanks for your interest and comments.  :D

On 10/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Come on Bill!  Get er done!

Thanks Tom. I'm tryin'.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:11 PM, mrm said:

Yeah....I would like to see this finished too. 

Me too. Thanks for your interest.  :D

14 hours ago, Zed said:

looks great !

if it can help, i'm almost sure the red roll pan you used was from monogram 53 chevy ?

Thanks for your interest and comments too. Yes, I believe you're correct about the source of the rolled pan...  :D

• 1 month later...

UPDATE Nov. 23, 2019. Sorry, no text. 404d multiple times, and I'm fresh out of patience.

EDIT: After multiple edits, I was able to insert abbreviated text explaining the photos.

BELOW: Grille shell with addition of flange to accurately align hood panels.

DSCN1561.JPG.3e18b652c93abea613d1fe565fe119a5.JPG

BELOW: Grille shell showing additional flange added inside to support PE grille insert.

DSCN1567.JPG.7f244c04d8f54f3099ee70402d4db91c.JPG

BELOW: Radiator getting coolant inlet and outlet repositioned for Olds engine, and modified for hidden fill neck under hood.

DSCN1566.thumb.JPG.ef989401d4e9dab13840497b9c507fbc.JPG

BELOW: Front axle required filling and re-drilling one kingpin hole to match camber on both sides. This is very obvious on a fenderless car.

DSCN1564.JPG.d42ef8097eb9cdc19baddc280098623b.JPG

BELOW: Much improved hood fit. The brown mockup piece is dimensionally identical to the parts that will be used at final assembly.

DSCN1569.thumb.JPG.5c84a6c6929cc050534d04c54e79973c.JPG

BELOW: Another problem. I'd intended to have the tie rod run in front of the axle, just forward of the grille shell. After final fitup, it's obvious I'll need to reverse and shorten the steering arms, putting them behind the axle where clearance is very tight between the wishbones and frame rails.

DSCN1580.thumb.JPG.7f218c8d0e6dd3afed9ff2a20afd6c43.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy