Model Cars Magazine Forum

Water based paint questions?

Just wondered if anyone had tried these? I use spray bombs for all my painting. A while back I bought a can of water-based paint to try. I think it was Krylon. I sprayed it over my usual Duplicolor sandable primer with the usual prep. I put it back in the box and forgot about it for quite a while. Later I noticed that it didn't seem to stick very well and didn't respond to polishing very well either. I will stick with my regular paint, so it's not that big a deal, just curious more than anything. I live in west Texas and the humidity is usually in the 25-55 % range. In the summer it's like living in a giant paint dryer. Regular oil-based Krylon is dry to the touch within an hour or two, though Rustoleum of course never seems to dry completely.

Guest G Holding

I shoot Auto Air over Duplicolor, I never heard of a WB rattlecan. The first thing to ask is did you follow the label...Y'now what the makers tell you HOW to use said product. Real WB paint is a different beast, that works well, and has better colors than solvent bases. BUT you need a lot of pressure, good air movement in the booth, and a "heat" source to flash the paint..IR lamps or a heat gun will work.

It's unclear what the above poster meant by "real waterbased paint" unless it's the oppostie of imaginary waterbased paint.

But, assuming that it has "better" colors than solvent paints is quite funny, and quite wrong.

"Better" is in the eye of the user, or for someone who has little experience Airbrushing with solvent paints.

CadillacPat

All Products Used Are Exclusively House Of Kolor, Of Course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by CadillacPat

Guest G Holding

It's unclear what the above poster meant by "real waterbased paint" unless it's the oppostie of imaginary waterbased paint.

OP stated:

I use spray bombs for all my painting. A while back I bought a can of water-based paint to try. I think it was Krylon

Casey replied:

Krylon does make a latex paint in a spray can

As I stated Real WB paint " I never heard of a WB rattlecan" Have you ?

I have a few pints of real WB Auto Air here.....No sprays at all

Pat....Please stop your biased nonsense. HOK is fantastic solvent paint. But as you have told us many times before of your HOK love and dislike of any other finish

I have shot so much paint in solvent and water bases over the years and I actually love HOK and think they are a painters delight...the whole system. Just as PPG Waterborne Paints are fantastic and rich, they are a lot safer for the environment...model sized or not.

I will let the experts at PPG and Auto Air prove you so very wrong.

I have the Simon Murray DVD and recommend it if you want to try WB paints by Auto Air

http://www.autoaircolors.com/technical.html

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish/en/products/waterborne/Pages/default.aspx

If you are really a master painter why not try a PPG training session, you might be shocked

Edited by G Holding

I just discarded the can a little while back or I would be able to let everybody know what brand it was. The only reason I think it was Krylon is because I use that brand most of the time.I used an airbrush years ago, but in an effort to simplify and after having kids to take up spare time, I quit building highly detailed models and now just build for enjoyment whenever I get a little time to myself. Of course being laid off a couple of weeks ago has added to my free time quite a bit as I now have 3 finished out of the box models built, just clean the seams up and do a good paint job and put it together......