Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carroll Shelby tribute community build.

wgflatliner

This is my build so far:

It's nothing special at this stage, although I did paint the body twice. I wasn't happy with the outcome the first time around so why not make it perfiect the second?

It's a vintage Essex Wire kit and I thought that it would be perfect for this build. I don't recall seeing any other Essex Wire finished builds, so hopefully I can do a decent job!

While no one knows what ever happened to the original Essex Wire Cobra, here is my reference material: http://www.legendary...y_Cobra_Racecar

post-9689-0-18818500-1341794373_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-25846200-1341794375_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-44526100-1341794377_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-47504000-1341794379_thumb.jp

post-9689-0-51705700-1341794381_thumb.jp

Edited by Intmd8r

Looking good Steve, I am trying to decide on what I want do next for this CBP, cant decide on a newer or older Shelby Mustang , hmmm

If you ask me, the Shelby Mustangs are more readily available (at least around here) than the Cobras. You can't go wrong with either generation because it's a SHELBY!

The newer generations seem to have more aftermarket support if you want to try your hand and a one off, custom build with wild wheels, resin hoods and scoops. Whatever you decide, just make sure to share the pics ;)

BTW Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Intmd8r

I know how you feel. Right now in additon to the Cobra, I have two GT 350-R builds under way. One is a detailed race car replica build, the other is a top secret custom. On top of whish I have the itch to go out and get an '07-'12 Shelby Mustang. I know that it's a bit of builders ADD, but it keeps me busy while waiting for paint to dry or parts "extras" to arrive inthe mail. No one ever said that you can't do both, and you certainly don't have to build them at the same time.

Take your time and have fun!

-Steve

I painted the Cobra Body last week, but had no time to post these pictures here. It's just spray paint, and next it needs some Decals, clear and of course, polishing. I hope it turns out good.

Cobra1.jpg

Cobra2.jpg

Cobra4.jpg

Cobra5.jpg

Thanks, Jonathan! I used Maston spray paints, the color code was 803, if I remember correctly... I can check it again when I'm back Home. Don't know if there are Maston paints in the States, but here in Finland they are easy to get and they work very well too. :)

Thanks, Ray :P !

Luckily there's at least one thing which is available in Finland, but not in USA. :lol: But of course, you have tons of different paint manufacturers and different paint brands there, what we don't have (or then we have to order those paints).

I'm planning to add some decals on the Cobra body, but I'm not sure if I can do it today or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't those decals in the Essex Wire Cobra kit by Monogram ?

Yup. That would be the one. I searched high and low for the Monogram Essex Wire kit and found one on Ebay factory sealed for $5+Shipping just before the passing of Corrol Shelby. Good luck findinding this kit in the same condition now for that price.

So far, the results aren't too bad for a 20+ year decals.

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread but I have been building my own tributes to Carroll Shelby. I have two traverse-spring Cobras on my bench which I hope to finish before departing on vacation the middle of August and will post photos here. I am unable to go to this month's Monterey Historics honoring Caroll and the fifieth anniversary of the Cobra but the first vintage races I ever attended [Palm Srings 1990] and the first Monterey Historics I went to [1997] were also tributes to Carroll Shelby.

The model picutred here was built in 2005. It is my version of the 1964 Targa Florio FIA 289 Cobra driven by Dan Gurney and Gerry Grant. The body is a combination of the 1/25 AMT kit and the Academy 289 [which is actually the AMT kit with a 427 body and headers]. I used parts from Replicas & Miniatures [wheels, Weber carbs], the great detail set from Acu-Stion [no longer available] and the beautiful UMI/Cartograph decals from Scale Coachworks.

DSCN2426-vi.jpg

DSCN2427-vi.jpg

DSCN2421-vi.jpg

DSCN2422-vi.jpg

DSCN2423-vi.jpg

MVC347F-vi.jpgMVC346F-vi.jpg

Ok so I opted to pick up another Shelby based car for this.

Subject: 2006 Mustang GT-H

Going to build it box stock, as I am trying to hone in my basic building skills such as seam lines, ejector pin moldings and a clean paint job.

For the motor, I am using the Metalizers line of aluminum plate and only making sure to polish some parts of it like the valve covers and the oil pan.

I don't have pics yet but will as soon as I get home.