Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt 33' Willy's (mostly)

Codi

Guys, I want to thank you too for the time you took to post your comments on the build. I really appreciate Andy Lembles idea for a scratchbuilt mini wrench for tiny bolts..his idea WILL work and I already have it figured out how to make the tool using a ProTech caphead screw and stainless steel tubing. I'll make one and post it for all of you to consider. Great idea Andy as I had to laugh at myself that it was so obvious but I never considered it. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,

I wanted to post 2 pics of what I'm calling the "Lemble Micro Wrench" designed specifically to get .5mm micro nuts & bolts started. I used R.B.Motion .055 socket head cap screws and glued them into 1.2mm stainless steel tube (used loctite gel). The neat part is you can chuck it into your pin vice and make any length you need quickly and cleanly. The tube can also fit into the bent 3/32" brass tube you see for those hard to reach spots. Great idea and I can verify it works. A big thanks to Andy Lemble....he'll probably have a site up and be selling them in a few days. :) Thank you again for your comments. Tim

_5mmwrench001-vi.jpg

_5mmwrench006-vi.jpg

What did you do for the last 40 years? You seem to be working out some frustrations. Are you now retired? Man, I look forward to retirement. I still have work to deal with, art that I want to do, too many books to read, there is so much to do, but I do wish I could spend more time building models. I too have just returned after 40 years, and the aftermarket parts available just boggles my mind. Back in the 60's, I would use sewing thread for plug wires, strip phone lines for color wire or the copper wire to paint silver to look like aluminum tubing or leave copper to use as fuel lines. The mail order parts, and the detail, this is a whole new game. Your work is amazing. How are the eyes? Fingers still nimble?

Rrrrrrumps, good questions. Got out of high school and went straight to work. (construction) in 74'. Next 35 years pretty crazy. Started 2 businesses from scratch (no pun intended) sold the 2nd business and retired. Now life is "backwards" as my wife and I adopted two little girls from China (presently 5 and 12 years old) and I spend a great deal of my time raising them...and of course building. I smiled when you mentioned thread for plug wires etc. It sure is different today, you can really use your imagination to get closer to your vision of what a car can/might be than when we were kids. It's a great hobby and I'm glad I came back to it. Eyes are good and even though I've had 8 trigger-finger surgeries (more of a nuisance than anything) the hands are good as well. Good luck with your builds and I'll look for your posts in the future. Tim

Tim...you inspire me to build better models, but I'm also a little saddened that I will probably never be this good!

I would run out of superlatives if I were to try and describe how good this build is.

You are so skilled and your work is so clean. I really do doff my hat to you, Sir.

Tremendous.

To geetee66, thanks for following my builds and if I have been an inspiration for your own builds, I'm very flattered. We can all learn from others that visit from this forum and if I can assist others I'm always happy to help.

keep building and stretching your imagation.

Cheers,

Tim

Great model.Super clean and everything perfectly aligned,symetrical and proportional.I wondered myself if I still had the eyesight and co-ordination to build models after a 20 year hiatis and being 71 years old.This great hobby still has so many great things to offer us all if we're willing to try something new and expand our skills.Some of the best friends I have are those made by having this great hobby in common.

Thank you fellas.

SixtiesSam, thanks for the note on the frame. Even though it was my first one in brass, I encourage you to try it yourself. Soldering is not as hard as you might think but the final result can make it all worthwhile.

misterNNL (Tom) I'm 58 and realize at somepoint the type of detail I can do today won't be possible, but there are so many other things I can't wait to attempt / explore in build techniques that I believe I'll be building for many years to come. Panel beating is high on the list. :)

I'll look forward to seeing YOUR builds in the near future.

Cheers