Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius New trucks......KW, Peterbilt.....others? New trailer?

I realize that there is tremendous cost, research, planning, prototyping, and consumer viability involved with executing a new kit. With that being said, I myself as a builder dont really have any interest in trucks made past the 90's. What I would like to see is a few more trailer options. As was already said, that can happen a lot sooner than a truck kit and the trucks are getting too complicated anyway. To me , it seems like a nightmare to reproduce some of the trucks being built these days. A detachable gooseneck lowboy, and a more modern style dump trailer are the best things that I can hope for. I just want to say that from what Ive seen, the folks at Moebius are doing a great job.

While I do hope Moebius can work out deals with other manufacturers, more Class 8 Internationals would be just fine with me.

If in the end it came right down to a choice between only the WorkStar and PayStar I'd be happy either way, but I'm personally leaning toward the WorkStar, mostly because that might open up the possibility of a MaxxPro MRAP. Yeah, I doubt that Moebius would do a 1:25 MaxxPro, but with a WorkStar kit you'd have a big chunk of usable parts to start with if you wanted to roll your own, and there's the sliver of a possibility an aftermarket conversion kit would appear. I'd love to try it out. I'd also love to do one as a snow plow, and I'm thinking the guys who build fire apparatus would love to have one.

Even barring that little flight of fancy altogether, you could do any number of variants on the WorkStar kit, and even a few more Military (non MaxxPro) variants, no matter how Moebius chose to outfit the kit (ie dump truck, highway tractor, etc.). I'm pretty sure somebody like Dave Carey would jump in with extended and crew cabs for it.

Then again, quite a few possible building subjects a modeler could wring out of the PayStar, as well. I think the WorkStar is just a bit more flexible as far as possible applications, thinking in terms of both how Moebius will equip their kit and what else is possible beyond that, once the modeler decides to have a little fun with the subject. Even if Moebius released the kit as just a tandem straight truck it would make more than a handful of people happy.

A Harley Davidson version of your Lonestar I thought would be out by now. I'd love to see new trucks but I understand the money issue I due my best to support your ventures by buying your products. Ok my vote for trailers A modern race care hauler, a dry chemical pumper, a drop gooseneck, Spead axle flatbed. Thanks for listening. Looking forward to your car and pickup kits coming soon.

If you wanted to keep it "local" for trailers, why not contact Wabash National? They're in Lafayette, IN, and the thing most people seem to want most is a spread-axle platform flat bed trailer. Wabash makes them under the Transcraft and Benson names, and frankly I see way more of those than I ever do MAC flat beds.

I get the MAC angle, you could parlay it into stainless end dumps and pneumatic bulk tankers, but coming back around to them later for those and going with the easier, and more fleet popular Wabash brands seems like a better means to an end.

Chrome has it's place but sometimes it takes away from the realisim of a model truck

I rather have too much chrome in a kit than noting at all, it's a lot easier to remove unwanted chrome plating than put on chrome you want....everyone doesn't have a plating service near by you know. :rolleyes:

Yes, there are Alclad and other stuff wich works okay for small parts but nothing comes near real factory vacuum plating.

I think the WorkStar is just a bit more flexible as far as possible applications, thinking in terms of both how Moebius will equip their kit and what else is possible beyond that, once the modeler decides to have a little fun with the subject. Even if Moebius released the kit as just a tandem straight truck it would make more than a handful of people happy.

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

I rather have too much chrome in a kit than noting at all, it's a lot easier to remove unwanted chrome plating than put on chrome you want....everyone doesn't have a plating service near by you know. :rolleyes:

Yes, there are Alclad and other stuff wich works okay for small parts but nothing comes near real factory vacuum plating.

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

Since Moebius already has the class8 licence with Navistar, I'd be happy with a Paystar with the 9900 Hood, Heck, both the Paystar and a 9900i or ix could be done with that cab and probably a frame very similar to the one on the Lonestar or Prostar.

As for trailers... A modern detachable gooseneck lowboy is high on my list! (Not a Rackley though...) East makes a nice gravel trailer, Doepker's looks good too. A Polar chemical tanker or a Tremcar 4 axle petroleum tanker (so cool!) would be really nice too! My two cents...

well, If it were possible, it'd be nice to see the whole Navistar line up B)

would love to see a return of an IH coe in any form.

and trailers, I agree with everyone else.....lol, anything else modern would be a welcome product.

you guys are making great kits that are a joy to build, keep up the great work, looking forward to new releases.

I too would love to see a WorkStar! So many possibilities on which to build from! From a simple regular cab, you can extend it for a extended cab, or combine 2 to make a crew cab. Not too hard to do. I am in the process of converting a diecast Durastar cab into an extended cab...From this:

JADAROLLBACK.jpg

To this:

20140311_175729-1.jpg

DuraStarproject03.jpg

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

Personally, Id love to see a car transporter. Revell had one in the late 80s and it hasnt been released since (RoG may have repopped it once but good luck finding one now). Based upon the quality of your other kits, this could be a huge hit. Of course, I also agree that we also need a lowboy and dump trailer too......

Dave while i'm sorry to hear that there are no new trucks coming in the near future i'm glad to hear that there seems to be a lot of interest in new ones. I believe this to be true. Even though no new trucks are in the works i'm hopeful of the possibility for new trailers. Personally speaking I would love to see a newer version of a Livestock trailer, a spread axle flatbed or a lowboy. I agree with others on here that anything modern would be welcome and eagerly anticipated.

Dave; thanks for the new 53' Trailer. If you have an agreement with International than maybe a 9670 Cab Over would be possible. Also what about a International chassis with seperate cabs that could be purchased as kits to build which ever truck you wanted. Might save on some cost? I agree with everyone on trailers, however a modern day set of doubles (with and without Reefers) would be really great. Thanks for the great products.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, i dont know if you know of my involvement in the model truck hobby but I have been a major player for many years now so I have a very good grasp on what would sell well. I would be willing to bet that if Moebius were to produce a kit, an accurate kit of a Peterbilt 379, it would end up being the best selling model truck kit ever produced, hands down!