Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building my first garage diorama

jrherald420

After about 3 years of waiting my wife pushed me into building my first diorama. I will be building it 1/24 scale mainly to photograph my models and to also enter in another category at model shows.

Here's the beginning stages. I now have a Chopper III on the way after thinking i could cut the studs square with an x-acto knife...lol stupid me. I first cut 3 sections of 3" Basswood then ripped them down to a 1/8" thickness. That was super fun!

I have all the studs glued to the bottom plate right now and will finish the top plate before bed. Hoping tomorrow to have the window opening framed in and the plywood on the outside of the first wall. Looking back i should have set the wall studs on a 24" center rather than a 16" like the plans call for.

11333264585_2ccf1d1229_c.jpg
Untitled by jrherald420, on Flickr

11333335376_e79e289702_c.jpg

11333337196_8781bfcc86_c.jpg

I got a killer deal, its the extended one with 3 chopping handles, 6 cutting angle blocks and extra blades for 45.00 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chopper-III-Mitre-Cutter-stripwood-dollhouse-miniature-woodworking-/151185019659?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252BT%252FqRAW5QQsi%252B%252BBPYLUn7scsRpg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

awsome i will be watching how this is done!

Thanks! Im excited to do this.

Suggestion:

Place the plans on a piece of cork, and place a piece of wax paper over them, then pin the corners using some push-pins.

This will allow you to line up everything exactly with the plans. Simply assemble the frame on top of the wax paper. The glue won't stick to it, and you can move the pieces around as you need to.

This is how Dad and I build stick-and-tissue airplanes, and it would translate well to building framing.

Charlie Larkin

hmm looking very promising :)

Thanks, i hope it turns out fairly good.

I'll be watching this one. I bought a Chopper II several months ago and still wonder how I ever did without it.

Mine cant get here soon enough, got to wait till Saturday to get the stupid thing! I will tear into it then!

What is a chopper? Just a suggestion here, when I build my walls I build the box first, or just the outside 4 pieces, then when that dries, I can place all the studs in.

Click on the Ebay link i posted above, it will take you to the one i just bought. They are the greatest thing made next to sliced bread!!!

This is my first diorama so i am mainly relying on how i would build a real house since i have many years doing that. I will be trying the way you suggested on the next wall because this way sucked!

MVC008F-vi.jpg

Here's mine, apparently an original Chopper! Great tool. I paid like $50 for this and have never regretted it a minute. It gives a perfect square cut every time. I've cut wood, plastic strips and even small parts. Just keep your fingers away. You'll see blood before you feel it. Ask me how I know.

I've taped pieces of basswood or plastic strips together to get perfectly matching pieces. I've also taped down a stop for the same reason. A valuable tool.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Let me help you cheat a little more, try to find any piece of steel you can that fits on your desk there, needs to just be bigger than your

Wall, next trip to lowes hit the hardware section and pick up some earth magnets, this will help you clamp the walls while they dry, it will also clamp your square.

I just never heard the name of the chopper before.

I bought one of the jewelers saws and a miter box to cut with but you cant get an accurate cut using the miter box when the openings are almost 1/4 inch wide. Thant thing was a waste of of 5.00, its made by Revell. I am holding off work on this garage till the Chopper III shows up. I just don't want to do a bad job building this and waste wood in the process.