Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Were You In 62?

Mercman

Okay guys it's a new year and I finally talked myself into going to the shop. Things were piling up so had to clean a place for this one. This is just the basics of it, The parts are in the paint booth now, for the primer coat. here are a couple of mockup shots though.
With 1/64th cars.
]010_zps0add490d.jpg

1/87th cars.
003_zpsaaef7cf6.jpg

005_zpsd6ce3462.jpg

The main building took the longest to do. The roof didn't want seal right, so I had to do some work on the corners of the building to get them looking good. This will be a slow build as I have a ton of cars to do yet for it. I know I have a 58 somewhere, so now I have to go hunt it down.

well first of all what a awsome kit and yes its almost becoming weird why kitbuilders dont build stuff like this in 1/25 i think they will be sold like hot cakes ...

and where was i ?? still brewing inside ...lets say i saw daylight on the 6th of september 1975

so i guess i was born into the mc donald era lol hahahah

mcdee_1810091i.jpg

That's very Cool Junior, man the drive-in dio and Tom and Richard's photos really bring back some extremely fond memories. The upper left pic of Mcdonalds looks exactly like the one we had in High Point, up until we moved in 1960 we lived one street over behind our Mcdonalds and we would walk through the neighbors yard to go get a burger,fry and milkshake, and they were $.15. AHHH those were the days!!

A progress construction report. The walls are up, along with the windows. Side awning is installed, and lighting is being addressed now. I made a new counter for it, and booths have to be constructed yet. I was not impressed with the cardboard ones supplied. I will get pics later, as I have been at this sucker since 11:30 PM last night. Now time for a nap.

I didn't see a McDonalds until I was 14! Back in '62 era when we lived in Kansas, we had a "Dog & Suds" drive in restaurant. That was the big treat then and I think I still have the little root beer mug somewhere.

I lived in Turkey from 1966-8, then we lived in Jersey City NJ the year of 1968-9. McDonalds was suburban back then so there weren't any near me. We did feast on White Castle though! Then from 1969-72 I lived in Germany. That was before the American chains had established themselves in Europe. I remember going to a British hamburger chain called "Wimpy's" in Paris back then. The Germans had a chain called "WeinerWald" which had wursts. I learned that later on they actually had a Burger King on the army post that I lived on!

Anyway, when we got back to the states in late 1972, we were in Heaven! McDonalds, Burger King and even sub sandwiches were all new to us!

Tonight only 4 1/2 hr's. Here is the progress. Didn't like the counter that came with it or the booths, so I made my own. The ones on the right are the kit pieces. Booth items were made from Popsicle sticks.
]002_zps30177509.jpg

]006_zps88283b5e.jpg

Then I added some lighting for the interior.

003_zpsbf4f9abd.jpg
And finally a color shot.
001_zps2b43e953.jpg
Also adding some roof details like air vents, and the such.

I was posing for this picture here................. :P

Copyof513482372_1809416766_0-vi.jpg

I'm maybe six months old in this picture, so this would have been taken in the March-April '62 time frame.

That's a really cool dio you've got going on! It'll be neat to see the period correct cars parked around that when it's all done.

Got the floor cut and installed, along with the new counter.
]006_zpscbc6510e.jpg
Here you can see the wall inserts I made.

]002_zps40dfd204.jpg

Adding a parking area, roof details, and a door to the back of the building. Artistic license with this.

004_zpsc0dfc942.jpg

Here are the light poles for under the saucer roof. On the left is the kit part. On the right is the same with a Krysal Jewel added to look like a flood light.

008_zpsfadca2af.jpg
More coming soon.