Model Cars Magazine Forum

Models in the movies

In the movie Independence Day with Will Smith there is a scene where I think new York is being blown up. It is obvious they are blowing model cars down the street to simulate real cars being blown away by the alien blast.

My Favorite is THX 1138 by George Lucas. The spaceship has a bomb that gets periodically lowered out of the bomb bay. It is an AMT Fruehauf Trailer with a bunch of strange parts attached to the bottom of it! This movie was done while he was in film school. He commemorated it by using the movie name for the license plate of Milner's coupe shortened by one digit to THX 138.

is it possible that you have THX1138 confused with the movie called Dark Star?

I may be mistaken but I don't recall hearing that THX1138 had any space scenes.

Back with more. From the 1959 classic The Giant Gila Monster, a rare sight: Promos that haven't begun to warp yet, especially the PMC '58 Ford wagon, AMT '59 Buick and Pontiac, a Hubley (?) diecast MGTD plus the ancient Monogram '32 Ford kit (note the seam running down the deck lid) with fenders, hood and exhaust modified to match the 1/1 car in the movie:

post-12159-0-31944100-1386737443_thumb.j

post-12159-0-77989700-1386737464_thumb.j

post-12159-0-10163000-1386737556_thumb.j

And from one of MST3K's greatest short film subjects, Mr. B Natural, this AMT '56 Buick Roadmaster:

post-12159-0-76792000-1386737785_thumb.j

What else can you find?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Well, lets see.

We have a ton of model airplanes on sticks in Top Gun. My friend Skip Samples built quite a few of them for the real program and some where used in the movie!

An old episode of Starsky and Hutch has one of the bad guys building an AMT Rat Packer Nova with only glue. Nice white and chrome model!

Edited by Daddyfink

is it possible that you have THX1138 confused with the movie called Dark Star?

I may be mistaken but I don't recall hearing that THX1138 had any space scenes.

THX 1138 wasn't a space movie, but it was a science fiction allegory in the distant future with robots resembling Star Wars storm troopers, etc. It was originally a student film made by George Lucas at USC film school, then re-made with financing of a major studio. "Dark Star" was a whole other deal that was actually more influential. This entry from Wikipedia is a hoot:

Screenplay[edit]

Director John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon wrote the screenplay. Six years later, the basic "Beachball with Claws" subplot of the film was reworked from comedy to horror,[1] and became the basis (along with an unpublished story about gremlins aboard a B-17) for the O'Bannon-scripted science fiction horror classic, Alien.[1][3]

Filming[edit]

Working on an estimated $60,000 budget, Carpenter and O'Bannon had to make production design from scratch. In the "elevator" sequence the bottom of the elevator is actually rolling on the floor. The device used to roll the elevator base was a Moviola camera dolly normally used on the small sound stage in the old USC Cinema building (a former horse stable). The steering arm of the dolly can be seen in the "elevator's" underside. Talby's starsuit backpack is made from Styrofoam packing material - probably from a TV set - and his spacesuit chestplate is made from a muffin tray. The double rows of large buttons on the bridge consoles are ice cube trays illuminated from beneath. Sergeant Pinback's video diary is an 8-track tape and the machine he uses to read it and record it is a microfiche reader. O'Bannon also starred in the film in the role of Sgt. Pinback.

Special effects[edit]

Much of the special effects seen in the movie were done by Dan O'Bannon, ship design by Ron Cobb, model work by O'Bannon and Greg Jein, and animation was by Bob Greenberg.[citation needed]

The bombs are made from an AMT 1/25 scale semi-trailer kit and parts of a 1/12th scale model car kit; "Matra", the name of the car brand, can be seen on some parts in some shots.[4] The space suits are made to resemble the space suit of the Mattel action figure "Major Matt Mason", which was used in slightly modified form as a miniature for effects shots. Cobb drew the original design for the "Dark Star" ship on a napkin while they were eating at the International House of Pancakes.

The film featured the first hyperspace sequence to show the effect of stars rushing past the Dark Star vessel in a tunnel-effect (due to superluminal velocity) which was used in Star Wars three years later.

• 3 weeks later...

Dean Milano did a model for My Favorite Martian.

Here some info taken from his FB page.

The story: Sometime back in the mid 1990s or so, Disney Studios contacted me telling me they were working on a remake of My Favorite Martian and they needed a model of a 1960 Valiant, which was apparently the car in the original TV series. So, I told them I had one and they were thrilled. I painted it the color they needed (copper) and built it up, sending it off to Hollywood. Apparently, the model was used in several scenes in which the car is miniaturized and sent down a bathroom drain. They also used it as a guide to build several more models of various sizes. When it was all done, they returned my model along with a really huge check. No wonder the budgets are so high on these films. Ha!

1005016_10202517701716243_2097330695_n.j

Ghostbusters. The Original film

When the Large Staypuft Marshmallow Man (person in costume)

is starting to climb the side of the building. The Police cruisers, Fire trucks, Ecto-1 are all Models

You can tell by the different Flashing of the Model lights versus the actual vehicles.

Starlog mag did an article about that too.

I think I still have that issue, but not sure where

Edited by Edsel-Dan

The Movie "Niagara" (1953) has Joseph Cotton as George Loomis building a model car while on vacation. His wife (Marilyn Monroe) tries to set him up to be killed, but the fight with her lover tends to work out the other way. Great suspense movie!
Jean Peters and Max Showalter in this scene are trying to convince George to go out to dinner with them... or something. Been a few years since I watched the movie. But the model kit George is building looks to be about 1/20th scale and very finely crafted. Rose Loomis gives him the kit and he is shown sitting at the table in other scenes building it out of a box.

CottenJeanPetersniagara195307g-vi.jpg

Few years ago I sold a bunch of models to M. Night Shyamalan's production company when he was filming Signs. They were supposed to be used in the kid's room, but I don't think they made it into the movie. They were mostly Lindberg anatomical models, I think they bought the whole line of those, plus a couple car and airplane kits.