Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/12 1930 Bentley Racing Car

Good Lord. This could end up being the best build ever of this kit. Question - where did the pin marks on the seat backs come from? My kit didn't have them.

Skip.......this kit has allot of pin mark`s......I have not sanded the seat`s yet.......I will sand all the pin mark`s on this kit......thank`s.

Hello.......I started making a new dash board.......it will be fully detailed.......I made new wood handles for the gas and water caps......I added trim around the seat`s.......and modified the brake drums......thank`s for looking.

DSCF2146.jpg

DSCF2143.jpg

DSCF2147.jpg

DSCF2149.jpg

DSCF2150.jpg

few more progress photo`s.......

DSCF2151.jpg

great attention to detail. The wood cladding on the fuel cap latch is way above and beyond

FYI, the "axle braces" are friction shocks, common before the use of hydraulics came into being.

Ayln....thank you for the info:.......it is neat to learn thing`s about these old cars.......thank`s.

The friction shocks were adjustable... they had a series of steel and friction disks alternating. I think the shock could be adjusted by loosening or tightening the tension on the disks. Here is a typical friction shock (this is on a Pocher model):

alfaprogress37.jpg

On the real car they would have been painted chassis color, but I left the metal parts unpainted because I think it looks cool. Inaccurate... but cool! :lol:

I really like your use of wire to create the metalic edges on your shocks and brake drums. Count on me to steal that one. :)

Off topic, but I laughed when I saw that last pictures. It reminded me of a teenage mutant ninja turtle in a jousting costume! :lol:

All kidding aside, great work. The gas tank is a 1000% improvement over what you started with.

I always thought the fabric-covered body on this series of Bentleys was something unique. However, over the past 2-3 years I have become a huge fan of the British TV series on Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's Belgian private detective who lives in London. His friend Hastings (very much like Dr. Watson to Sherlock Holmes, only not as smart) drives a 2L 1931 Lagonda tourer that also has a fabric-covered body shell with painted bonnet and wings. Many nice vintage cars in the series which is perpetually set in 1935, though like the sets and locations, they keep reusing them over and over.

Laondahastings.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

I always thought the fabric-covered body on this series of Bentleys was something unique. However, over the past 2-3 years I have become a huge fan of the British TV series on Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's Belgian private detective who lives in London. His friend Hastings (very much like Dr. Watson to Sherlock Holmes, only not as smart) drives a 2L 1931 Lagonda tourer that also has a fabric-covered body shell with painted bonnet and wings. Many nice vintage cars in the series which is perpetually set in 1935, though like the sets and locations, they keep reusing them over and over.

There were also a lot of fabric covered cars (and British "saloon" cars) back then. I believe some 1930's models of Riley's, Austins 7's and Morris Minor's had fabric bodies, to name a few. I don't know the reason why some were fabric and some steel. I grew up in London after WW2 and as a kid, I can remember seeing them all over the place. Funny.... it didn't seem strange at the time?

I am a devout follower of the Poirot series as well. Interesting how that blue taxi shows up in all eras and all locations around the world!

I am a devout follower of the Poirot series as well. Interesting how that blue taxi shows up in all eras and all locations around the world!

And sometimes there's a red taxi, plus a red MG TA and a silver SS100. And the aristocratic bad guys all live in the same white art deco mansion. :lol:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programme. Sorry about the detour.

Edited by sjordan2

Hello.......I started on the interior.......it will have a wood floor with carpet and matt`s........I made some interior side panel`s......it will have a 2 tone look........carpet and leather......I will make the door panels and door lever`s tonight......thank`s for looking.

DSCF2178.jpg

DSCF2175.jpg

DSCF2174.jpg

DSCF2176.jpg

DSCF2181.jpg