Model Cars Magazine Forum

What color paint?

I'm going to be starting a dick harrell camaro and I'm trying to find a color match with testors enamel, the 1:1 color is candy apple red. Stop light red metallic looks pretty close but not exact. I'm not sure what to mix with it to get I the right shade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance, here's a pic of the

actual car.

7693E0BB-B2BA-4D2A-9452-F9DFE11E435B-434

If you haven't tried it yet, get yourself some plastic spoons and shoot test colors (different base colors, different amount of coats, etc)

Typically, candy apple red was sprayed over a gold base. I would try with the spoons and try a silver base on one and a gold base on the other.

With candies or transparent colors, it will rely heavily on the base color how many coats you spray of the candy color.

HTH

"Candy apple red" is usually understood to be a red-tinted "candy" clear shot over a metallic (usually gold) basecoat. The more red you shoot, the darker it gets. It's also tricky to get even coverage.

Since you mention Testors by name, they DO make a candy red ENAMEL #1605. You'd have to shoot it over a metallic base, just like 1:1. I HAVE NOT sprayed this combination, but I'm sure someone here has.

Testors also makes a LACQUER based transparent red, RC71, designed to be sprayed inside clear RC bodies. I haven't sprayed this one either.

A note about metallic basecoats...they come in a wide variety of flake size, so to avoid the bass-boat look, you may need to do some experimenting.

Duplicolor also has a transparent red ENAMEL in their Metalcast line. (It's made for simulating anodized coatings on AN fittings) I've shot their transparent blue over a fine-grained lacquer silver basecoat, and it can look really really good. Being enamel though, it has the finicky recoat window and takes a long time to dry, in case you need to repair mistakes.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

"Candy apple red" is usually understood to be a red-tinted "candy" clear shot over a metallic (usually gold) basecoat. The more red you shoot, the darker it gets. It's also tricky to get even coverage.

Since you mention Testors by name, they DO make a candy red ENAMEL #1605. You'd have to shoot it over a metallic base, just like 1:1. I HAVE NOT sprayed this combination, but I'm sure someone here has.

Very hard to get decent coverage in aerosol form. wants to pool around edges and panels lines no matter how finely it is misted on. Most likely wouldn't be an issue if decanted and shot through an airbrush.

It looks like Testors "Red Metalflake" might be close. It is not a candy, rather it is a metallic paint, you just spray directly over primer. I don't know if it is available in spray cans, as I have only used it out of the little square bottles, #1529. It looks like this:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70165&hl=%2Blindberg+%2B150

Edited by Kit Basher

Thanks for the info guys, I may have to look into the testors candy red and maybe just decant it for the airbrush. The metallic red does look really close but in the pictures of the 1:1 you can see the gold base coming through the red so I think candy red is definitely the way to go. I really wanna nail the color down, I want this build to be as accurate as possible to the real thing. Thanks again ?

Edited by Bluemiles22

Does it HAVE to be Testors enamel? Tamiya's TS-18 Metallic Red looks very close to Candy Apple Red IMO. This is what it looks like just sprayed over gray primer.

009-17.jpg

Does it HAVE to be Testors enamel? Tamiya's TS-18 Metallic Red looks very close to Candy Apple Red IMO. This is what it looks like just sprayed over gray primer.

009-17.jpg

Beautiful job. But if you look at the pictures I posted in the link above, you'll see that the real car has a slightly darker, more brownish tone.