Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Front Engine Dragster Project - Finished

Mooneyzs

his started out as a 1/16 scale Don Prudomme Front Engine kit that I started 14 years ago and it's calling me to finally complete this kit once I compete my other two projects that I have going. But then again who doesn't have more than one project at a time right...lol I'd say I probably have a dozen or so kits that I had started years ago that got put on the back burner for a while. Anyway here are some pics of this kits and hope you enjoy...

PlasticModels270-vi.jpg
Side view with body panels that have been primed. I am still working on the colors and paint scheme that I want paint the kit.

PlasticModels272-vi.jpg
The Front End

PlasticModels273-vi.jpg
Fuel tank and oil filters

PlasticModels277-vi.jpg
The Seat

PlasticModels280-vi.jpg
The Frame was painted a yellow and then I added a gold pearl in the clear.

PlasticModels282-vi.jpg
Up Close view of the engine

PlasticModels2841-vi.jpg
Another view. All A/N fittings were from Detail Master and RB Motion. Braided line was Detail Master

PlasticModels288-vi.jpg

PlasticModels290-vi.jpg
the fuel distribution blocks were scratch build and individual injector lines were hand built and polished.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Bob I appreciate it. I have been dying to finish this one for years but figured I would work on a couple other kits to get me back in the grove of things. I have a couple colors in mind for the body, I just need to figure out how I want to do the graphics on this one. I am excited to get back to this project and am looking at a couple more 1/16 scale drag kits in the near future that I have in mine :(

It's looking great. It looks like you've used Testors Metalizers for most of the engine parts, which I am a huge fan of. You've got just enough aftermarket detailing stuff on the car to be accurate and realistic, but not so nuch that it's over-accessorized.

The checkerboard seat fabric is a great way to add some visual punch, too.

Kevin that is so funny you say that about the Spagetti Bender..... you won't believe this but my dad used to pit on the Top Alcohol Dragster of Steve and Mario San Paolo, who were the crew chief and driver of the Spagetti Bender back in the 70's and early 80's. I was 7 months old at my first drags and we did that til I was about 13. That is where I got my love for drag racing. I wish it would of continued on and maybe it could of went somewher for me but I am thankful I got to be part of it in my younger years grouwing up. When I used to work at Toy's Galore in Salinas years ago when I was in High school. One of the guys that used to come in was helping on the A/Fuel Front Engine Dragster of the Spagetti Bender.... I can't remember his name but he brought me a bunch of pictures for reference years ago with this dragster. I should scan a few of the pics to show you. What a small world it is. You will have to let me know if you and George are planning on going to Bakersfield this year for the Nostalgia Drags. I will have to come up and meet you cause I have been wanting to go there for years. I have some cousins that live in Bakersfield.

Casey..... the colors on the engine are the testors metalizers sprayed out of the spray can. Thanks for the compliments too.

I will have to scan some pics that were some of the inspiration for this project, which is the car I belive Kevin is talking about.

This is the Dragster I remember growing up that my Dad pitted on. I found this on NHRA's website. I am sure that my parents have many pictures back home with this car, which I need to ask if I can scan them for my reference. One of my jobs when I was a young kid was to hold the funnel when Steve would fill the gas tank with Alcohol and I would help rolling on the VHT on the rear tires to make them sticky as well as holing the spring in the parachute while steve was foling the parachute for packing when I was a little guy. lol I am hoping to pick up a 1/16 scale Don Garlits or Tom Mcewen kit to try and build a replica of this car ;)

SpaghettiBender.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Kevin here are a couple pictures of the A/Fuel Dragster that the gentleman brought me. I have about a total of 45 pictures that he brought and in each of them he labeled things for me with a sharpie pen which you will see in a couple of the pics. It was so awesome that he was willing to do that for me so I could use for reference to build this kit. Its how I got the idea for doing the checker board for the seat as well. here are the pictures.... Let me know if its the dragster you were talking about.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0005.jpg

Pretty cool to see the son of Sammy Hagar here in the picture as well as the painter that did the paint job

scan0006.jpg

This is Steve the driver in this picture

scan0007.jpg

Here is the pic which made me want to do my seat in the checker board pattern

As I mentioned It was so cool and I was so appreciative for the one guy who brought me all of the pictures he did with the labels of everything

:D Hi Chris,those are some cool pics You have!That is the Dragster I remember seeing at Bakersfild.Speaking of Bakersfield the California Hot Rod Reunion is October 15-17 this year.I will be going and I hope George and maybe other Guys in the club will go too.We can meet up there.All the legends are there,Garlits,Ivo,Mongoose,Snake,etc. :lol:

:D Hi Chris,those are some cool pics You have!That is the Dragster I remember seeing at Bakersfild.Speaking of Bakersfield the California Hot Rod Reunion is October 15-17 this year.I will be going and I hope George and maybe other Guys in the club will go too.We can meet up there.All the legends are there,Garlits,Ivo,Mongoose,Snake,etc. :lol:

Hi Kevin :) thats awesome that it is the same dragster. Oh that is sweet about the Hot Rod Reunion, I will have to plan on meeting you guys there for sure. I will make sure and put those dates on the calender. I would definetly come up for that. I am sure I could talk George to go again. I actually called and talk to him and Paul yesterday and Paul seemed he was excited to go back this year. If you want I can scan all of the other pics that I have of that dragster and email them to you. They are pics of when they were building the car, so there is some cool stuff you can see for the detail.

• 1 year later...

Well I finally got around to where I want to paint this kit and have been tossing around with a few ideas for paint schemes. During the build of my 1/16th scale F/C it made me think that I wouldn't mind finishing up this kit and there really shouldn't be too much to complete either. Here are the ideas:

PlasticModels291A-vi.jpg

PlasticModels292A-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris,

What can I say ... other than, WOW!!

Terrific project you've got going there ... Fantastic history, too!

You have to make it to some of our clubs' meetings ... several drag racing fanatics in the two groups that would love to see your models and your photo collection, swap lies, and share ideas!

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

:lol:

Dan

Thanks Charlie.... Looks like I will be going with the design one of the High lighter on top for a paint scheme. I think it flows better. I have the main color just waiting for the other colors to get here wednesday :lol:

Dan.... Thanks bud,I am hoping to have this painted by the Desert Scale Classic so I can bring it out, even if the kit isn't complete. I am looking forward to meeting these other drag racing fanatics at the show and hope they all come out. :lol:

Brett... yea I had to go digging for this post, couldn't remember if I even posted it here since it was a year ago :D

here is a teaser pic of the paint so far. I was actually having trouble with my air brush spraying this after noon cleaned it about 4 times got upset with it :rolleyes: and pulled out my Devilbiss mini detail gun to squirt the paint...lol Ok so all I have done so far is lay down the HOK orion Silver base and 2 coats of inner coat clean. I am currently waiting for the inner coat clear to dry so I can then tap off my graphics and will start spraying those colors. here is where its at now:

PlasticModels293-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Well after a very long afternoon, evening, then night I finally finished the paint job on this. I first had issues with my air brush not spraying right and when I started using my Mini Detail gun, realized that it wasn't cleaned as well as it should when I last used it so had to reclean that. I pratically ran out of silver base, then the main color I don't know what was wrong with the base but it seemed like it was contaminated by the way it was spraying. I noticed something funny when I was just mixing it in the can but though well I will try an shoot it anyway and I had the clear run in a few spots which I will color sand out and reclear..... It was one of those days painting when everything could go wrong it did... :lol:

After spraying the silver base I taped off my graphics:

PlasticModels306-vi.jpg

Sprayed the first graphics color yellow:

PlasticModels298-vi.jpg

Next was spraying the Molly Orange graphics:

PlasticModels302-vi.jpg

Then it was time for the Ultra Violet Poly Base:

PlasticModels304-vi.jpg

Pulled all of the tape off to get ready to clear the body:

PlasticModels305-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Here are pics of it after the clear had time to dry for a about 8 hours.

All of the parts pulled off the make shift holders used for painting:

PlasticModels316-vi.jpg

Parts around driver compartment:

PlasticModels315-vi.jpg

Front of car:

PlasticModels314-vi.jpg

Mocked up to get an idea what it all looks like together:

PlasticModels311-vi.jpg

Front end graphics line up nice and was very pleased with it:

PlasticModels309-vi.jpg

The Driver area again:

PlasticModels310-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Paul,

We never owned this car. The driver of this car was Steve San Paolo and my dad used to help wrench on their top Alcohol back in the mid 70's to mid 80's the car was the Spaghetti Bender. The mom and pop toy store/hobby shop I used to work at from when i was 16 til I was 20, I got to know a guy that would always come in and we were talking about this FED I was building and he told me he had a bunch of pics he could bring in for me and he did then after finding out that Steve was driving it. Was pretty cool and a small world.