Model Cars Magazine Forum

original amt hillbilly hauler 34 ford pickup T 233-200 PHOTOS ADDED

AC Norton

hello to all, thought I may share a little info, that some of you will already know, about an old favorite kit of mine, the AMT hillbilly hauler. I guess I get a bit sentimental about this model, as I got it for XMAS 1968 along with 7 other kits. I know most of us have all the info needed about the many Lindberg issues of this little gem, however for some of us, I thought I may share info regarding some very nice little goodies that appeared in the original issue 34 ford pickup, as well as the second issue that was around in 1965 or 66, then finally in 68 with this issue..... the street rods issue from the 73-74 era, and the stake truck version a bit later, like the Lindberg versions, did not have some of the features I will list here. photos to show these will be posted with this thread in the next day or so, to compare the parts with the Lindberg kit............the hillbilly hauler has-2 chrome spot lights--a very nice 2 piece trophy --chrome adjustable wrench--a large 2 piece service fire extinguisher--4 large concrete blocks--service road flares--2 small square gas cans--4 way lug wrench--pair of mud flaps--and a nice, 4 piece tire rack. if you like vintage service equipment, the hauler is a neat kit. anyhow, I will get some pics on here soon, showing some other features of interest too.....the early versions also have a very nice ribbed box cover, where the Lindberg version is basically flat.....more to follow...........the ace....... ;)

post-11768-0-53689200-1416283327_thumb.j

post-11768-0-36409300-1416283354_thumb.j

post-11768-0-31320600-1416283385_thumb.j

post-11768-0-53112500-1416283445_thumb.j

post-11768-0-15968400-1416283469_thumb.j

post-11768-0-11721700-1416283513_thumb.j

post-11768-0-41269500-1416283542_thumb.j

Edited by AC Norton

stay tuned, boys.....the pics and more info to be posted a bit later,,,,and yes, one of my favorite kits of all time. great idea too, if round 2 could restore all the parts and re issue this with the pop up garage and all......why not, the manx dune buggy got re issued a couple of years back and it had the pop up burger stand and all the original parts, as you know....the ace..... :P

I hve question, can this or any of the different versions of yhis kit be made into the real heavy truck not hot rod type build.I want to build a real ton or bigger type truck out of it and does the cab and frame look right?.....Thanks for all help.

I hve question, can this or any of the different versions of yhis kit be made into the real heavy truck not hot rod type build.I want to build a real ton or bigger type truck out of it and does the cab and frame look right?.....Thanks for all help.

I believe you are wanting to build a Ford Model AA truck its the heavy class one they sold back in the day. Id think it should be fairly easy to do but finding the correct wheels/tires might not be fun for it.

You mean like one of these?

208469.jpg

The 1-ton and heavier models had the same cab, hood, and grille shell as the lighter trucks. You could use those from the kit unchanged. The front fenders were a bit larger- taller and wider, IIRC- by how much I couldn't tell you for sure. The wheels were the 20" five-hole, five lug versions as shown in the pic. Obviously they had a higher ride height than the 1/2-ton trucks. The rear suspension used parallel leaf springs, not the cross-mount single "buggy" spring used on the lighter models.

I've seen those types of wheels available in the past, but I have no idea if they're being produced now. I'd assume they'd be the only real hurdle, though you might be able to modify some semi tractor wheel centers if you've got a few spares laying around- just use a shorter, narrower tire than what you'd see on a semi tractor.