Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built yard goat

As so often happens I was searching the internet for something else when I found these diagrams of an Ottawa Yard Tractor in a maintenance manual. This is the YT 30 Off road model.

Ottawa YT 30.pdf

What peaked my interest is the fact that the rear axle bolts to the frame with no suspension and the cab sits level but the frame does not. Here is my start on the frame. In photo yt1 it is sitting on my multi-color line drawing. I got in a hurry and forgot to cut out the vent in the front cross member and the stop and backup light holes in the rear member. I can still fix it. It has a main frame with both inner and outer Frame stiffeners. Not perfect but it is a start. I am correcting my drawings now based on information I have since located. Always wanted one of these. I am thinking about building a Capacity model as well just to show how different they are.

post-2169-0-88742000-1389243937_thumb.jp

post-2169-0-53205300-1389244005_thumb.jp

post-2169-0-56143600-1389244034_thumb.jp

I hope you like it.

Gary

Edited by Bgrgbldr

Just a little progress this week. The boom is assembled and the lift cylinders are fabricated. All cross Pins are still untrimmed and the lift cylinders need lines and some trimming.

post-2169-0-23890900-1389821598_thumb.jp

post-2169-0-19310400-1389821623_thumb.jp

post-2169-0-40193400-1389821664_thumb.jp

Let me know what you think. if there is any interest I will post my line drawings.

Gary

Gents,

I posted this in Truck Stop as well. I have created a Flikr build file so I can include more content let me know if there is anything you want to see specifically. I will do my best to show all phases and any details you ask for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115024256@N07/sets/72157639977577436/

Just added today's progress photo almost ready for Suspension and Fifth wheel.

Aloha

Gary

Edited by Bgrgbldr

Gents,

Just a little update the last few days. I got the fifth wheel and the front axle mounted. As I was mounting the front axle I realized the rear spring hangers were on backwards. I also discovered that my rear slope plate was mounted too high to let the fifth wheel set between the rub rails. While I was there I added the light bezels for the stop lights and the back up light.

Even though I found some illustrations I am finding that maintenance manual drawings are not drawn to scale. Some of my original extrapolations were way wrong.

For the most part I am using SWAG and TLAR as my guidelines. For you younger folks that would be Scientific Wild Ass Guess and That Looks About Right. If anyone wants to see the construction sequence of any part let me know. I started modeling as a free flight stick and tissue airplane builder. I draw a plan and build on top of it or cut it up and make templates. This project is still developing.

post-2169-0-99684500-1390629024_thumb.jp

post-2169-0-93309400-1390629054_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary, it's hard for me to find words describing what you're doing. I'm really amazed of your work. What's the scale you're building in?

Well, as I'm not living in the US I don't know all the special trucks you're using over there. Can you please tell me what a yard goat is?

How did you do the multi-color line drawing? Because there's not a single dimension in the pdf you posted.

Where did you get all the dimensions from? Do you have additional sources of information, e.g. the manufacturer?

Excuse my silly questions but I'd like to know.

Anyway, it's a stunning project I certainly will follow further on.

Thanks for sharing the idea of this build.

Juergen

Edited by HJK

Juergen,

Thank you for the kind remarks regarding my build. Yard Goat is actually slang for a terminal tractor or spotter tractor. These trucks are used in trucking terminals, container yards and ports all over the world. The hydraulic boom allows the driver to back up to a trailer and using the boom lift the landing gear off the ground. This prevenst the driver from having to climb down and crank the landing gear for each trailer. Most have very short wheel bases this one is around 114 inches to allow easy manuvering in tight spaces. The frames are built very heavy to deal with the stress and starin of the constant lifting and setting.

To develope my drawing I used the diagarms from a service maunal that I found on line. I also used details and dimensions from a sales brouchere that described the frame length and width. From there I imported the side views into Coreldraw and reszed them to be as close to scale as possible. I created my plan by drawing on top of the diagrams in a new layer. Many items have been my best guesses based on my experince and normal mechanical pratices.The reason I have not publised my plan yet is because it is still developing. Every time I sit down at my work bench I do another search for photos ands details. Somethimes as I am building I find that one assmebly will not work becasue a previuos assembly was incorrectly built or placed.

This is a project I have been wanting to do for a very long time, I had a free day early this year and I pulled out everything I had collected and started the line drawings. I have not posted much the last week due to work and family commitments. I hope to get back on task this week. I hope to share my drawings at least for the frame very soon. I am cleaning up the details and looking for a suitable engine transmission combination. I recently found a tech manual for the Commander 50 Model that the US Army purchased. It is interesting because it has 4 wheel drive.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks a lot for all the information. I also searched a bit on the internet for yard goats. They are interesting vehicles.

I can imagine how difficult it is to gather all the data to build such a truck. I'm far from an expert concerning the scratch building but I do have some ideas I'd like to build. I'm constantly struggling to find the necessary information e.g. all the dimensions. In some cases I also contacted the manufacturers but usually they're quite reluctant.

Are such manuals you mentioned easy to find or are they deep in some unknown crevices of the internet? Are there special key words I should use?

Thanks again,

Juergen

Juergen,

I started off with the model number and did a google search , from there I added phrases like Maintenace manual, operators manual, parts for, brouchere, wiring diagram for. I keep using the phrases in various combination and looking at all the search results. I have been researching the Ottawa Commander series for at least 3 years.. Every time I search I find something I have never seen before. I also search EBAY looking for catalogs and manuals. I agree that factories are normally not very helpful they are more concerned with servicing customers and selling trucks.

Let me know if I can help I enjoy the reasearch almost as much as the build.

Gary

Edited by Bgrgbldr

Hi Gary,

Thanks very much for the hints and search words. I will try the words, maybe I'm successful.

I will take your offer seriously. In case of further questions I'll be back on you.

For the time being thanks very much.

Juergen

Les,

I would appreciate any photos you might have. I know the drawings in the maintenance manuals are not exactly correct or perfectly scaled. When I build them they way they appear in those drawings the cab will only tilt to 45 degrees. I have rebuilt the cab skirt and the front cab supports 3 times and I still do not like them.. If you have a box or drop box account you can place them there or my direct email is.

gldobias@hawaii.rr.com

Thanks for your offer

• 5 months later...

Gary, I have manuals for the US Army's Yard truck, I can email them if you would like. The service manuals are in three parts and are too large to email, but I have the parts manual (9MB), Operator's, and Hand Receipt (shows everything it should have with it) Manual. Let me know

• 3 weeks later...

Clifford,

Thanks for the offer of manuals. I would love to get my hands on anything you might have. I think the parts manuals would help and I would be willing to pay to have the other manuals scanned. Can you give the the pub numbers for the service manuals? Many of these are available on line if you know what to look for. I have not done much work on the project lately been too busy at work and was missing details for some items.

Regards

Gary