Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobrette ? Corbra ? We have color ! 7-16-14

cobraman

So what do you get when you combine a Cobra and a Corvette ? I'm not sure but lets find out. Getting set up for the next build and came upon this idea. The 36 Ford I'm working on should be wrapped up in the next couple days.

firstcobravette002_zps37fc4f46.jpg

Edited by cobraman

I am guessing it will look somewhat close to a convertible version of my Ferrari 340 Mexico Berlinetta....these were the two main cars in the build other than the '57 chevy rear fins for the fender fronts...... :huh::lol: .

What ever it is Ray....I am sure it will look cool!

I love different so bring it on!

Been working on this project but camera went dead so no photo's till I get some batteries. I have a bunch of new ones on hand but naturally not the ones I need. Anyway, I am simply combining the Cobra chassis,engine and such with the Vette body and interior. I have done a couple simple mods to the body. As for the chassis, it was a bit too short in the wheelbase so I had to make it about a half inch or so longer. I have built this Cobra kit in one version or another over the years but forgot about 2 things I don't love about these kits. First off is the front suspension. Well detailed but every time I have built this kit it fights me. Could be just me . The other thing is the engine. It is way to narrow and just doesn't look right. I checked my parts and have several engines but no other Fords. Rather than raid another kit I am going with the stock one from the kit. Chassis is just about done and I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Been working on this project but camera went dead so no photo's till I get some batteries. I have a bunch of new ones on hand but naturally not the ones I need. Anyway, I am simply combining the Cobra chassis,engine and such with the Vette body and interior. I have done a couple simple mods to the body. As for the chassis, it was a bit too short in the wheelbase so I had to make it about a half inch or so longer. I have built this Cobra kit in one version or another over the years but forgot about 2 things I don't love about these kits. First off is the front suspension. Well detailed but every time I have built this kit it fights me. Could be just me . The other thing is the engine. It is way to narrow and just doesn't look right. I checked my parts and have several engines but no other Fords. Rather than raid another kit I am going with the stock one from the kit. Chassis is just about done and I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Drop a hemi in it and have all big three working together... :D

Here's a couple of shots of where I am now. Auto parts store was out of the light gray primer so I bought this darker one. I don't care for it and because of how dark it is I may have to rethink the color I was going to go with. We shall see. I need to cut away or trim some of the Vette firewall due to the Cobra's engine set back. Not quite the simple swap I thought it would be but are they ever ? You all know what happens when you change one thing........... you have to change two others !

gottodaypluscorvet3002_zpsc8008bd0.jpg

gottodaypluscorvet3003_zpsdc4ff3bf.jpg

I stripped some side pipes I found in my parts box. The large angled plastic tube will be the ends of the exhaust. I had to make some adapters to make the wheels I am using fit the hubs on the Cobra kit. They were made with 2 different sizes of plastic tube.

cobravette4001_zpsa63a168c.jpg

The body is painted. It's a light gray metallic then masked and the red stripes were painted on. I hope to clear it tomorrow. More work is needed to the interior due to the set back of the engine. In hindsight it would have been better to just position the engine forward. Too late now.

vettecobrainpaint001_zpsdaa65e74.jpg

vettecobrainpaint002_zps1ad813ff.jpg

When I saw the title of your thread I wasn't sure what to expect , but the Corvette body on a Cobra chassis sounds great !

We actually used to build Cobras with Corvette suspensions and 502 Chevy engines !

Untitled_zpsa6e32cb7.png

Very impressive!!!