Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

Thanks for letting me join in Matthew. I went digging in my stash and came up with these.

First is the hot shot. Since I have a sleeper I just cut off a Pete I'm going to extend the Ford for it.

HotShot-vi.jpg

The TT will be the new KW and Reefer.

I might change the tractor later as I'm bidding on a couple of older ones on e bay.

KWReefer-vi.jpg

Thanks for letting me join in Matthew.

I might change the tractor later as I'm bidding on a couple of older ones on e bay.

No problem at all, Winston, this is for everyone who's interested! B)

If you do change tractors, just let me know so I can edit the list.

Paystar update. I manged to get this done last night along with painting a lot of other parts that are still on the tree. I know, I'm cheating by starting early, but with three to build, if I don't start now, I may never finish ... lol. This truck alone has more than 300 parts.

00115.jpg

Edited by dwc43

How can you be cheating by starting early?!?! :):lol:

Cool, then I'll keep going. If I can find some wire to make a dipstick tube out of. Everything I have so far is too thin to work. I did finally find a couple of left and right front/side quarter shots. Not very revealing, but better than nothing. Wished I could find a top shot of the engine.

I'm in with a Revell Pete 359. Might add another later if I can get ahold of the Italeri Volvo VN 780. You wouldn't wanna part with yours, would you Highway? :lol:

OK, James, I'll get you on the list. :lol:

Sorry about the Volvo, though. :lol: I hope you can find one, they are nice kits even without an engine, but mine's just to busy pulling that container. :lol:

I'm gonna "cheat" and start mine too! What's more random parts on the desk? While I research proper coloring for the trailer (since Galaxie doesn't have any kind of color guide on it's instructions), I started the F-350. The instructions start with the chassis, but I decided to crack the box open and start the engine.

Look I started another project!

148143_462588600698_543060698_5491371_8074463_n.jpg

So I eventually got the chassis out and the frame rails from the end of the cab pan back where a crater filled, sink hole riddle extravaganza! (Winston be sure to check your's FYI)...so I had to slather a load of putty on both sides.

73689_462585495698_543060698_5491352_1734334_n.jpg

Got it cleaned up and ready for paint

75765_462585825698_543060698_5491355_6659971_n.jpg

151089_462586075698_543060698_5491356_7751464_n.jpg

Now in flat black and ready to start the instructions from Step 1 :lol:

149832_462586270698_543060698_5491360_421165_n.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710

I started my Hot Shot today and James, you are right about the frame.

I'll be adding a little more filler than you after stretching it. heh heh heh.

First thing was to cut & stretch ...

000_5438-vi.jpg

I had to remove the back half of the gas tank and relocate it back to the original position ...

Now I've got to fill, sand & smooth the joints.

000_5439-vi.jpg

I filled in the front of the sleeper I cut off the Pete and located the window.

Gotta fill the rough edgeas and more sanding.

The truck had small ledges in the window opening for the glass that had to be removed also.

I've gotta figure out something for the rubber seal between the cab and sleeper.

000_5442-vi.jpg

Heres a simple mock up to test fit.

Anybody got a roof wing they would be willing to part with ?

000_5444-vi.jpg

Heres a simple mock up to test fit.

Anybody got a roof wing they would be willing to part with ?

000_5444-vi.jpg

Looking nice so far Winston!

By the way, Porky (Eric) that posts here has P&P Vintage Kits & Resin Works, and he has a very nice resin wing. Here's a link for a thread he has here on it.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30311&st=0&p=297989&fromsearch=1&#entry297989

Eric does some very nice work, I have some of his frame mounted toolboxes and fenders for my Ford I'm working on and some air cleaners for a future project.

HPIM2111.jpg

Tell him Highway sent you! B)

Edited by highway

Thanks for the link Matthew.

I haven't decided on a color yet but I think it might end up being black ...

000_5453-vi.jpg

You're welcome, Winston. I'm glad I could help.

Black would be nice on that, but of course I'm partial to red ones myself! :lol::lol:

HPIM1845.jpg

I started on the trailer today. It's a fairly simple build.

I didn't like the kit wheels so I got some chrome ones from the parts box.

I'll finish painting it and the truck when it quits raining here.

All the build pics are here ... http://public.fotki.com/old-hermits-garage/25th-scale-trucks/mcm-community-build/

000_5454-vi.jpg

dwc43 if it is the sleeper Iam thinking of it is Mercury sleeper and that pattern was standard on it

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of.

Finaly found a dash pic of a Paystar, or Transtar.

Scan10031.jpg

Thanks. That looks similar to the one I found except I got the whole view. The one I found had the correct dash vents and about 12 gauges on the right side going vertical in two columns. Then about 3 or 4 across the dash like in your pic, but where the tach and speedo are, there are two rect. pods on my dash that stick out quite a bit. Looks totally out of place too.

Matt does the truck Have to have a trailer?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, Nick, I was busy yesterday slopping around a muddy junkyard trying to find some parts for the 1:1 so I can pass WV's annual state vehicle inspection before it's due at the end of the month! <_<

Anyway, it does not matter if you have a trailer, if you want one you can. Tractors only are just fine. The same goes for the smaller trucks, the only thing I ask is if it is not a "Hot Shot" rig like niteowl and old-hermit are building, the pickup or van must be a service style truck, something like a truck stop service truck or roadservice van. Even a truck like my 1:1 with a dump bed or delivery van body or wrecker will work.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, Nick, I was busy yesterday slopping around a muddy junkyard trying to find some parts for the 1:1 so I can pass WV's annual state vehicle inspection before it's due at the end of the month! <_<

Anyway, it does not matter if you have a trailer, if you want one you can. Tractors only are just fine. The same goes for the smaller trucks, the only thing I ask is if it is not a "Hot Shot" rig like niteowl and old-hermit are building, the pickup or van must be a service style truck, something like a truck stop service truck or roadservice van. Even a truck like my 1:1 with a dump bed or delivery van body or wrecker will work.

So a Wrecker would Work Matt?

I have a little question, my boyfriend doesnt use the computer but i want him to start looking at these sites, he loves building models, he likes building military vehicles and vans, he wont let me post his models on here because he said there not as good as everybody elses. But if i can get him involved in a comunity build maybe he will start to get involved in this site, now my question, 1) can the the truck be a military type, 2) can it be any size, thank you