Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Great Job Chris, But where did you get these??( if you don't mind me asking)

Romell... I don't mind you asking me at all. I actually had gotten them off ebay from a person name scaledetails. They are from a photo etch Ferrari set, they have them in 1/16 & 1/18 scale and I picked up both since I didn't know which ones would be the right size. If I remember correctly I ended up using the 1/18th scale because of the diameter of the disk. I had some one here send me a message saying that they had picked up some off ebay. I was pretty stoked cause I was looking everywhere for them lol... and since there isn't as much 1/16th scale detail stuff out there. I had to pick them up....lol

Thanks John, glad you are enjoying following along. I can't tell you how much fun this build has been so far. I just wish I could make progress as fast as you do, Its impressive. I am getting in some good bench time this week, so I am hoping to have quite a bit more done to this.

Thanks Shane.

Was able to get more done to this. worked on Drilling out the bolts on the clutch bell housing. Also started with a couple of body pieces removing rivets and drilling them out for Scale hardware rivets. Drilled out a couple of bolt heads on the manifold and was able to shoot some primer on the front Spindles. Here are the pics.....

Here is the Clutch Bell Housing with the kits bolt heads removed and holes drilled for hardware:

DPArmyVega4151-vi.jpg

Here is the Clutch Housing mocked up with the bolts in place:

DPArmyVega4161-vi.jpg

Side window pieces, the left is the kit rivets and on the right the rivets have been removed and holes drilled for Scale Hardware Rivets:

DPArmyVega4291-vi.jpg

Both sides done, I need to take the rivets out and lay some bondo down to fill the low spots and will be ready to glue to the body:

DPArmyVega4331-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

The side window pieces put in place and transfer drilled holes into the body:

DPArmyVega4351-vi.jpg

The Manifold drilled for bolts on the rear:

DPArmyVega4401-vi.jpg

The Front Spindles primered and just about ready for some Alclad:

DPArmyVega4421-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

That's what Im talkin bout great Job Chris! This is comming together SAWEET! Looking forward to the next update.

Chris, build is really coming along great, nice work on all the little touches! I just received my shipment of 1/16 photoetch Throttle Linkages and a set is heading your way. Look forward to seeing more!

Charlie

ProTech

Hey Charlie I could use a set of those would save me some work that's for sure. I'll send you a PM to work things out. :D

Chris, build is really coming along great, nice work on all the little touches! I just received my shipment of 1/16 photoetch Throttle Linkages and a set is heading your way. Look forward to seeing more!

Charlie

ProTech

Hey Charlie.... Thanks man. Thats awesome to hear about the throttle linkages, cant wait to see them and get them on this build. .

That's what Im talkin bout great Job Chris! This is comming together SAWEET! Looking forward to the next update.

Hey Charlie I could use a set of those would save me some work that's for sure. I'll send you a PM to work things out. B)

Thanks Romell...I am hoping to make some more progress tonight, so we shall see what gets done....LOL

Chris, I was just wondering (after seeing the pic of the body with the side window pieces mocked in),are you gonna cut down the front hood scoop to match the real car or are you planning on keeping the Revell Super Shoe scoop on?

Richard... to answer your question, yep I have been wanting to rework the scoop on the hood. the kit is way off compared to the car...so I will be doing some magic on it... haha

Wow Chris, better and better each update

Thanks Brett

I have a couple of the 1/16 Jungle Jim Vegas and I am inspired to build one of them after watching this build.

bobthehobbyguy

Hey Bob glad to hear my build has inspired you to break one of them out. feel free to save and use any of the pics as reference.

I tinkered on this a little tonight but not as much as I was originally planning. Just got the clutch safety blanket glued together and sanded on the rear tires. Not much of an update but heres a couple pics....

Sanding the tires... tire on left completed, tire on right still needs sanding:

DPArmyVega4471-vi.jpg

Clutch Blanket Halves glued together and just placed on the Clutch Bell Housing:

DPArmyVega4511-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

I tinkered on this a little tonight but not as much as I was originally planning. Just got the clutch safety blanket glued together and sanded on the rear tires. Not much of an update but heres a couple pics....

Sanding the tires... tire on left completed, tire on right still needs sanding:

DP-Army-Vega447-1.jpg

Clutch Blanket Halfs glued together and just placed on the Clutch Bell Housing:

DP-Army-Vega451-1.jpg

Where did you get the tires, they don't look like the kit tires?

Bobthehobbyguy

Where did you get the tires, they don't look like the kit tires?

Bobthehobbyguy

Bob.... You are right they aren't from the kit. I got these from Flashpoint Motorsports Resins, very nice tires. He has a few sizes to choose from.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, this is getting better with each instalment.. B)Details on the clutch can and manifold look sweet as. :blink:

Great tip, looking for brake parts in alternate areas too...would never have thought to look at 1/18 parts. :o I'll be checking evilbay now.... :lol:

Be interested to see Charlie's linkages too....they sound kool. B)

Thanks Greg and Danno..... Greg I had someone steer me in that direction with the disk brakes and was thankful they did was able to find 1/16th and 1/18th scale ones.

so been able to put some hours in this weekend and have some more pics to share with all of you.

Started doing more work to the manifold, added plastic to the side so that I can drill the locations for the fuel lines and fittings:

DPArmyVega4541-vi.jpg

Finished sanding the rear tires and they are ready to go:

DPArmyVega4571-vi.jpg

I decided I was going to test fit the rims into the tires and glad i did. I realized I ran into a snag here after Inserting them. These tires are wider and the rims were not quite wide enough. Going to talk to Jim at Micro Nitro and see if he can turn another set that is a little wider or make a piece and splice them together. Thinking though that machining a new rim may be the better way to go. still not sure which route to go:

DPArmyVega4651-vi.jpg

I also decided to make a Jig that I can set the funny car on with the correct height of the chassis:

DPArmyVega4701-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Now time for some pics of the chassis sitting in the Jig.....

Here I have the chassis sitting in the Jig:

DPArmyVega4731-vi.jpg

Sitting on the front blocks, sorry the pic is a little blurry:

DPArmyVega4751-vi.jpg

Side View:

DPArmyVega4801-vi.jpg

The rear sitting on the rear blocks:

DPArmyVega4821-vi.jpg

Time to get back to work on this. I will be working on redoing the body pivot mounting brackets on the back half of the chassis..... Stay tuned and will have more pics to share later..... thanks for looking

Edited by Mooneyzs