Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Datsun 240ZG

stump

Well you know me well enough to know i wouldn't lie to ya Stumpman. I DON'T think I've EVER seen a 260 Datsun engine compartment. BUT, I got a feelin that if I ever DID, it would look like THAT! Your just cruisein into it now Daddy-O, take your time an button that bad boy up nice an tight, an just show that rascal off!!!!laugh.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

I have seen several & I think he's slipping in pics of a 1:1 restoration & is trying to pass them off as a model. B)

Hey, thanks George, Rodney and Dell. ;)

horsepower

I have seen several & I think he's slipping in pics of a 1:1 restoration & is trying to pass them off as a model. :)

Now Dell, I wouldn't do that to you guys......................:) .................................................. B);) Cheers mate.

Ok....well, believe it or not, actually done a little, back on the blue car.

Been messing with the ride height again, as I wanted it to squat a bit more.................

stockzjune202010014-vi.jpg

The front will come down a couple more mm's, I just need to finish re-radius(ing..?) the original wheel openings some more. Making them bigger....:)

The lowering procedure went pretty smooth by all accounts.....easier than I thought it was going to be.

The rear shock/struts have approx 7mm of solid plastic at their base, so I cut and removed 5mm from the length.

I then placed a sleeve over the new join to give it back some strength...

This pic shows the two black marks I used as a guide to my cut. (right hand unit)

stockzjune202010018-vi.jpg

Sleeve in place.

stockzjune202010019-vi.jpg

The front units were no harder, just different.

There was not sufficient plastic to allow a simple cut'n'shut like the rears, so I simply moved the brake assembly up the strut.

stockzjune202010020-vi.jpg

Too easy......

And finally..................a T E A S E R for you.......

Yes, this is #3...................:):blink: You get the idea now that I like these........:P

This one is still a loooooooong way down the track, but as soon as it arrived, I had to "test fit" the new power plant.........

stockzjune202010004-vi.jpg

More soon guys, and thanks for watching.

cheers

Greg

OOO-OOO-OOOO! (I feel like Curly) That's lookin like it's commin along right nicely Stump! Muh Favorite Aussie doin his thing is a joy anda pleasure to watch! Lookin GOOD bro, an like was mentioned earlier, If i didn't see it from the start, I EASILY coulda believed it was a REAL car! laugh.giflaugh.gifwink.gif You GO Stumpman!!!!

I've really enjoyed your build I think your building skills are excellent. I am really considering building a 1/12 scale project, I was wondering if you or anyone eles could give me any suggestions as to where to find good aftermarket parts sites for this scale. thx in advance for any help you can provide. Romell :D

I've really enjoyed your build I think your building skills are excellent. I am really considering building a 1/12 scale project, I was wondering if you or anyone eles could give me any suggestions as to where to find good aftermarket parts sites for this scale. thx in advance for any help you can provide. Romell :D

I, too, would like to know. Sadly, most aftermarket parts in the large scales are mostly nuts, bolts and other hardware that can transfer among scales. I'm sure you know that these are typically found on eBay. I don't do F1 or Le Mans-style, but that seems to be where the very few detail accessories and PE pieces are.

Stephane Pedaggi at Scale Details concentrates mostly on Pocher kits, but has just a few specialized (and expensive) aftermarket parts for 1/12 and 1/16.

http://www.scaledetails.com/3135_otherscales.asp

Romell, if your going to go to bigger scales like Greg, I think you'll be in the same boat,Bro, caz Gregg hasta build most of the stuff he adds. His scratchbuilding skills are second to none. Like your avatar, were you a tanker?smile.gif

LOL! no actually I was 1st Recon in the Marine Corps but besides doing scale models Im also into 3d grafic creation, my avatar is one of the characters in my grafic noval "PreEarther" which will hopefully release next summer B)

:angry: Thanks George, Romell and Skip. :lol:

Romell and Skip,

Yeah, as George mentioned, there is not a hole lot out there for the bigger scales. Probably more for 1/8 than 1/12 these days....B)

Aside from the wheels/tyres I made, I haven't given thought to trying to master other bits.....

A mate in the U.S. is currently popping a 1/12 turbo and some assorted pieces for himself and me......I don't know that he's given thought to production though.

Semper Fi Gorge and thx stump for the reply Im still gonna tackel a 1/12 project and when you get a chance please stop by and let me know what you think about my Chevelle build http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31030 keep up the good work and talk to ya soon. Romell B)

Edited by Aftashox

Cheers Romell. Checked out your Chev.......:blink: Thats KOOL.....:D Love the 1:1 too. :o

Well, I spent most of the weekend working on a fuel delivery system.......or carburettors. ;)

I had been putting this off, as I knew what would be involved.......and I was right. B) I am now totally bald and feel like an eighty year old......:blink:

A little build up.........................

The linkages were all made from flattened .5mm solder, then cut and trimmed to shape. Holes were tapped to accept some gorgeous RBMotion ball-joint hardware.

The main linkage rail is supported on 3 x Tuner model factory eye bolts. linkage arms are also drilled, flattened .5mm solder and more RBMotion ball joints.

The triple carbs received holes for the linkage and fuel inlets prior to painting. They were sprayed with a gun-metal base coat, followed by champagne gold.

I will add the connecting linkage through the week......

240ZGjune272010001-vi.jpg

240ZGjune272010003-vi.jpg

And I made a new set of plug leads. The first set were not adequate.......

240ZGjune272010004-vi.jpg

That's where we're at for now......with some spare time, I should get this part finalised sometime this week. B)

cheers guys

Greg

my brotha! I had a 1984 280zx with tri Makuni carb setup, .071 cam, and racing headers this motor almost looks like the motor in my car good job im very impressed. And thx bro for the compliment on the chevelle anyway keep up the fantastic work and I'll be watching. B)

Edited by Aftashox

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much Romell, Fred and Derrick..:)

My humble apologies for the lateness (read = slackness...) in replies......:wacko:

I have this motor almost ready for install now....The leads were my biggest headache...fourth attempt was successful. :D

Linkages are complete and the whole thing will just require some touch-ups and a final wash with thinned black before she goes in. ;)

Here's where we're at.......

240ZGjuly042010009-vi.jpg

240ZGjuly042010012-vi.jpg

240ZGjuly042010013-vi.jpg

The main reason for the Datto's slowing down is that I have also resurrected an old build.....B):D

I'm back at the bench on my 69 Baldwin Camaro. :) A very long way to go....ALL of the work I had started is getting re-made.......

Stay tuned. ;)

Cheers guys

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Great work as usual Bro. One question.... where can I get the motor with the tri carb setup. Romell :D

Thanks Romell. B)

Mate, the triple carbs come in the Safari version of the Datsun. They fit on the standard head motor, same side as the stock "twin carb" set-up. ;)

The twin-cam head is what I scratch-built. The triples mount on the opposite side of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Romell. :unsure:

Mate, the triple carbs come in the Safari version of the Datsun. They fit on the standard head motor, same side as the stock "twin carb" set-up. :blink:

The twin-cam head is what I scratch-built. The triples mount on the opposite side of it.

thx greg.....Now get back to work! LOL! :huh:

Edited by Aftashox

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Long time no update..

What's wrong?

Engine won't turn over??

Scale gas IS hard to find, isn't it.. ;):blink:

Funny you should bring this up Rodney. I have had some dramas getting the hi-compression motor to run smoothly...............:lol:

Hey, I have actually done two nights work so far this week.....on the DATTO. B) Nothing worth bragging over yet, but it's a start. :D Been 7 months since things slowed down, time to up the antee......

Oh, Happy Birthday too mate. ;)

Cato, sorry mate.....no GT40 progress yet. :D I got side tracked with the release of GT5 and what not....but I'm over that now. BACK to the bench ! :D