Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '61 Impala

D Fowler

On 7/29/2008 at 8:23 AM, larrygre said:

The changes were made shortly after the first production run of the kit, 1997 or thereabouts.

Again, back in the days of STRICTLY STOCK, Lindberg had sent me a final round test shot (in metallic black no less) of the kit for review. I saw the problems right away and provided them with a detailed report. Response was an "Oh $%#$!" and "The kit's gone into production. We'll have to wait until after the first run to make the corrections."

And they DID. They pulled the tool and made the corrections. Only one thing I reported to them was not addressed, and that was the shallow interior depth.

The fact that they did make the majority of the corrections is cause for major compliments. Such corrections are not cheap. Tooling costs are EXPENSIVE. But Lindberg at the time wanted to make serious inroads into our enthusiast community. And again, they DID.

Kits with the red and white box having a yellow and black NEW sticker on the shrink wrap are how to tell the "fixed" kits from the "unfixed" ones. All kits in the gray boxes are the fixed ones, including the Dyno Don editions.

Hope that helps a little.

They didn't catch all the defect kits. I bought a defective rounded windshield one and chucked it in the trash.