Model Cars Magazine Forum

White 3000 SWB Pumper...from leftover parts etc.

traditional

PC270625.jpg

My twin brother, Larry, brought this model over to show me.......A '50s White 3000 short wheelbase pumper modified from some of his surplus parts and assemblies leftover from previous projects. He also added lots of his own fabricated parts such as fuel tanks/fillers, power take-off and lines for the pump, siren, folded flat hoses (made from color-dyed shoelaces, hand rails, and hose leads etc.

The cab and chassis originated on a DM Campbell's Soup van, and the main pumper body was from a Yatming Mack fire engine

He told me that the wheelbase of the White only had to be modified a small amount to center the rear wheels in the fender wells, and almost all of the major parts were from his parts bin.

I think he did a beautiful job on this cute pumper and I'm always really pleased when surplus parts go to some good use.

PC270617.jpg

PC270622.jpg

PC270626.jpg

PC270624.jpg

PC270623.jpg

Edited by traditional

Larry,

Another great job by your brother! Thanks for sharing it! His projects look like they came pre-assembled at the factory - always so cleanly built! One suggestion that you might share with him for the future is to use flat elastic found in the sewing section or bias tape. These items have a scale texture and lay/bend flatter, more like 1:1 fire hose. Here is a link to a tutorial on this technique:

http://www.scalefirehouse.com/watercooler/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2430

Not taking anything away from his fine build, it is awesome!

Edited by hooknladderno1