Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hollywood Garage

Hollywood Jim

I still have to add junk to the top shelf on the back wall, the top shelf over the work bench, the top of the work bench and the shelves in the work bench. This does not even count the stuff I'll be adding to the floor.

ea-vi.jpg

I was thinking maybe I'm over doing the junk. In diorama building the open space between all of the junk is just as important as the junk.

Some thought needs to go into how the open space is layed out.

So I decided to create some open space in front of the work bench and reduce the clutter a little bit. I made some doors for the work bench.

And I added some visual interest by opening one of the doors just a tiny bit.....................

ge-vi.jpg

gf-vi.jpg

gg-vi.jpg

Jim, as you are doing, I kept moving the junk around in my trailer kitchen. I'd move it, photograph it to see what it looked like in pictures and create more detail or move things around again. I like the open cabinet, I was wishing I had done a drawer ajar in my kitchen! Keep going, it's coming out well.

Working on the top shelf, rear wall. I think a typical family garage would have Christmas decorations.

These photos start out with the initial layout and then the final painting and glue down.

gh-vi.jpg

Sometimes this process drives me crazy because there are so many different ways to arrange things.

gi-vi.jpg

gj-vi.jpg

gk-vi.jpg

Finished shelf.

gl-vi.jpg

gm-vi.jpg

Edited by Hollywood Jim

Thanks guys !!!

OK, it is time to finish the smaller top shelf.

I don’t want to over-fill this space or put anything too big on this shelf.

I want to make sure this shelf does not pull the viewer’s eye away from the main subject that will be on the floor.

go-vi.jpg

Is anyone old enough to know what that item is on the far left????

gp-vi.jpg

gq-vi.jpg

Top shelf finished !

gr-vi.jpg

Here is a photo with no camera flash.

gs-vi.jpg

Here is a photo with camera flash on.

gt-vi.jpg

Something happened that somewhat changes the direction of this diorama.

This diorama is a loose representation of my father’s garage and the one I remember growing up with.

I saw these very cool pictures the other day and it brought back some strong memories of me and my Dad building a soapbox car out of a wooden apple crate.

gu-vi.jpg

gv-vi.jpg

gw-vi.jpg

So, I want to somehow incorporate a small boy and an apple crate car into the diorama. So I built a 1/25th scale apple crate.

gx-vi.jpg

Maybe I can create something like this. A father and son building an apple crate car. And an unfinished hot rod.

gy-vi.jpg