Model Cars Magazine Forum

Silly about PUTTY

Well I'm chiming in! Glad you mentioned the Tamiya 2-part polyester putty. Started using that 10 years ago and if it was easier to obtain(like at my local grocery store easy) I'd still use it. It's been replaced by Bondo two-part poly glazing putty now. I also like the Apoxie stuff,similar to milliput,but much cheaper and then found that Magic-Sculpt appears identical and is even cheaper than Apoxie.

I had some Milliput, but it dried out on me . . . the trick (like with mold making material) is not to have too much of the stuff or it will get ruined. A little goes a long ways.

I keep my Milliput White and Apoxie Sculpt in the refrigerator.

They are both 2 part putties and will last for years and years if wrapped in a baggie in the Fridge.

CadillacPat

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to use generic craft store Silly Putty for masking a chassis but it was not pretty! It was not very pliable and it would not adhere to the plastic. Dont wast your time on this stuff. Have not tried real silly putty yet.

Thanks for the Prescription Doc, Been using the Tamiya, Apoxie and Magic Sculpt putty for a while. Also use Super Glue both thick and thin with baking soda.

Cant remember where I got this tip for the baking soda. A couple of drops of food coloring mixed into the baking soda then allowed to dry before using it with the super glue helps match the plastic color and or to give a good contrast to the plastic you are trying to blend. Mix up enough to fill a 35 mm film can (if you can find one now days) and you'll have more then enough to last a long time. Super glue works well for blending joints and building up mismatch, like on some of the old Ed Roth and Weird-Oh's figures.

• 1 month later...