Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

True enough...definitely an accomplishment.

Looking at myself, I started with glue kits around age 8 and built fairly constantly into my teens and then drifted away....from 18-26 I did almost no modeling.....4 years of college, 5 years of grad school, plus the usual youthful pursuits of women and good times distracted me from modeling in my youth...

I didn't start building again and seriously acquiring models until I was out of grad school and making serious $$$. 10 years later, I have 1000+ models, but I build very little, what with the time demands of work and other interests (golf, snowboarding, etc), and spending WAAAAY too much time online.. :)

I don't know how Billy finds the time to build as many as he does.

I scaled back a bit this year in buying kits. As for grails off the top of my head I would say that the few Nascar decals that a Friend picked up for me at Toledo and the Lamborghini Murcilago are the only grails that I got this year. On the building front I got only 5 or 6 done but I got a lot started and close to being done so this year I can maybe double my build production.

Charlie

The only grail (since a grail by it's definition is the only one) on my radar was a Lug Bug kit, which it turns a great clubmate of mine was willing to part with.

The esteemed Mr. Peterson does make a very good point. There was only one Holy Grail and the majority of of us are not just lusting after that one special kit, but rather multiple kits. My own list includes The Petty Transporter and kit car, An MPC Jim Hurtibese Chevelle, A Johan Hornet Funny car, etc. etc...So how about instead we start calling them "Crown Jewels" highly desired objects but more appropriately reffered to in the plural rather than the singular. Does this work for everyone

The esteemed Mr. Peterson does make a very good point. There was only one Holy Grail and the majority of of us are not just lusting after that one special kit, but rather multiple kits. My own list includes The Petty Transporter and kit car, An MPC Jim Hurtibese Chevelle, A Johan Hornet Funny car, etc. etc...So how about instead we start calling them "Crown Jewels" highly desired objects but more appropriately reffered to in the plural rather than the singular. Does this work for everyone

Works for me! I always thought of a grail as that one special kit (For me, a pristine Uncertain T, at an affordable price :shock:)

I guess my Grails would be tha Indy Novi's and perhaps some of tha old "S" series 1/32 Revell kits, but I'd have to sell my daughter to be able to afford one these days....56 Merc 4 dr hdtp or tha 56 Lincoln Mk II.

• 1 month later...

IMO, (which we can debate until the end of time, so your opinion will probably be different) a modeling Holy Grail is that ONE kit or model that you want the most, but can not seem to find.

The first grail I ever had was the 1958 23 window Revell Samba Bus. The box art was beautifull and the kit was the only accurate VW bus out there at the time. I looked for this kit in the back of scale auto, at garage sales, in toy magazines and other places (i did not know toledo existed back then, nor could I afford to get there) in the 80's and 90's. Funny thing was, I finally found one at a good price, the same year I started on ebay, but I did not buy it on ebay. Once ebay started, it seemed like every "grail" I searched for was only a click away. Well, I have been on ebay since the start and I get to toledo every couple of years, but there is this one kit that I know is out there, but is just impossible to find. maybe one day.....

BTW, what is your true ONE and ONLY, Holy Grail?

DSCF0712-vi.jpg

Bill Murrieta

i think the company that did the opel also did the late model VW bay window bus. I remember checking their kits out but with the exchange rate and shipping it came out to about $85 US. I thought that was a bit high for their quality.

Love your meter cheater!, I wish they would reissue that & the moon mixer.

Bill Murrieta

PS Is the pierpont inn still on the coast in ventura? My wife and I spent our honeymoon there 25 yrs ago. We had the cheapo wedding! Back in the 70's the pierpont inn was the place that many a playa from los angeles took their mistress'! We also lived in carpinteria for 2 yrs...boy do I miss spot burger.

I've actually had two graile kits, and been most fortunate to get them both.

The first was the Revell Germany BMW M3 that's about 10 years old.

BMWM3KIT.jpg

The second was the very first kit I ever built with my uncle when I was 6. The Monogram Strohmobile.

Strohmobile.jpg

THANK YOU EBAY!!!!

I've been fortunate in that I've been able to get pretty much everything I've ever wanted. But, when I get the top of my list, the next highest thing becomes "Grail #1".

Right now it's an original, unbuilt AMT 59 Edsel kit.

In the past it was the 60 El Camino, the 69 El Camino, 66 Impala, 60 Edsel, and believe it or not, the original issue 78 L'il Red Express Dodge pickup. I've been able to buy unbuilt, mint, save the 66 Chevy which was started, examples of each of these kits.

I am not sure if this fits the "Rare" catergory...expenxive yes, but not sure they are rare (they do come across ebay regularly).

AMT 67 Galaxie. I actually have an unbuilt one.

AMT 68 Galaxie.

AMT 66-69 Ford Falcon

These are rare and expensive...

Bandia 1/20- Fiat X 1/9. These are rare. I have 2 (LOL). One built one unbuilt.

631f_1.JPG

Though I think my new "real grail" is that VW Fastback posted abnove...I never knew one existed. I guess one that rare defines the true meaning of Grail LOL

i think the company that did the opel also did the late model VW bay window bus. I remember checking their kits out but with the exchange rate and shipping it came out to about $85 US. I thought that was a bit high for their quality.

Love your meter cheater!, I wish they would reissue that & the moon mixer.

Bill Murrieta

PS Is the pierpont inn still on the coast in ventura? My wife and I spent our honeymoon there 25 yrs ago. We had the cheapo wedding! Back in the 70's the pierpont inn was the place that many a playa from los angeles took their mistress'! We also lived in carpinteria for 2 yrs...boy do I miss spot burger.

[HIJACK]

The Pierpont is still there, but now has gone a bit "upscale", as has Carpinteria (I work in Carp - the Spot is STILL the place for a killer burger).

Thanks for the kind words on my old Revell horseless carriage (T-Bone Stake) build - I swapped over to VW power and went fenderless, just like I would if I ever built it in 1:1. Like you, I'm a VW guy:

roach29.jpg

roach35.jpg

[/HIJACK]

Gotta be a sealed Uncertain "T"... I've seen many builtups, open box, etc... on eBay, but very few sealed kits. When they are on eBay, they usually go for ridiculous $$$'s. Funny thing is, I have about 90% of the parts for a build, just never gotten around to starting it. :?

Hmmm, The ZZR Spy car would be one of my grails, fat chance we'll ever see that one reproduced. It was changed into some kind of fire fighter rod. Of course I now have to put that Midori V-dub fastback slotcar on the list as well, and the Volvo PS1800 that Mrobsessive speaks of. I would also like to find the Toyota-7 that Otaki produced (I have the Paramount/Eidai kit) to join shelf space with the Nissan R382 I just got off of the "bay". And all of the Renwal 66 Revival kits. I know Revell has the tooling for these, c'mon Revell, howsa bout a reissue of these?

Guest zebm1

My ZGrail....a Hussein I or II....in 1/25th. Found tha resin copy of a 60s slot car....guess I'll have to model tha rest. :wink:

:twisted: Zeb

Well, still lotsa grails on my list...But, that VW in the first post of this thread would really fit well in my VW-collection. Also, a better (complete) Palmer Volvo P1800 would be nice, I only have an empty body....

Someone mentioned the '66 Renwal show-cars. Well, I've finally managed to get all of them!!!! That Jordan playboy and Bugatti 101-CX being the two most hard to find.

I NEVER pay any ridiculous $$$$ for my models. What I can't get for about $30-35 I just pass and wait for a better opportunity! They ARE out there You know....somewhere....

I don't have many grails left, most of mine are sorta obtainable. but have been OOP for several years, here's a short list

AMT

VW Rabbit

VW Scirroco

MPC

Pinto Wagon

Pacer, any style

77 Volare Road Runner (Have a build up, would like one MIB)

80 Volare

71 Demon

Johan

AMC Rebel Mechine

Revell

VW Corrado

Lindberg

97 Dakota (Being Reissued :lol:

Nissan 1/20 Hardbody 4X4 (These have getten rare)

Resin

AAM S10 Blazer

AAM Mustang LX Notchback

AAM Mustang LX Hatchback