Model Cars Magazine Forum

1985 Pontiac Fiero V8

Jordan White

This build will also be posted in the Cannonball Run CBP thread, but I figured I would post it here as well for those who don't venture into that area.

I'm starting with the vintage Monogram '85 Fiero GT kit.

picture000.jpg

I have a spare Chevy 350 out of one of the AMT C1500 kits, along with a set of Fujimi 17" Nismo wheels and tires.

Awesome idea! There is a guy around here in my area that has an Army Drab flat painted ones with wheels much like your mock up ones that are flat blacked. IIRC the car has LS4 out of a newer GXP Grand Prix, and the transaxle I beleive. I remember as a kid reading in Hot Rod Magazine about swapping a small block Chevy into a Fiero, even G.M. got into the game with a Northstart powered Fiero. Very cool, looks like you might have done one of these swaps in 1:1 before.

Finally have another update!

Here's the chassis painted with the front suspension installed, and fuel tank painted.

SDC11853.jpg

Engine mounted to the rear subframe along with the axles and sway bar. Valve covers added to the engine, along with the starter and remote oil filter. Exhaust manifolds flipped to provide better exhaust routing clearance. Still need to add dipstick and distributor/plug wires.

SDC11850.jpg

SDC11852.jpg

SDC11851.jpg

I have a magazine somewhere in the stash that a guy swapped in a 400 small block with a tunnel ram and two fours. It still had the stock wheels and look. The only give away was the two carbs sticking up behind the window. I can't remember if they got any time slips from it or not. But, it had to be a wicked little car!

that was the promise of these cars that was never fulfilled. i remember reading about the imminent release of this car in road and track and how in later incarnations it was scheduled to get a V8 but that never happened. actually i am surprised to hear they came with a V6, somehow i thought they were all 4 cyls...shows how i lost interest as the reality unfolded after the great buildup in R&T.