Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Lee, Jump gone wrong

DrKerry

Looks like the ones you see for 1/2 a second before they cut to a new car rolling down the road. The damage and rust looks fantastic, but you didn't paint the window trim :P

In the photos it wasn't but it is now. You weren't supposed to see that!!!! LOL

nice work Kerry, I heard they went through a bunch of Chargers making that show, thats probably what it looked like after each jump! what a shame to toast all those Chargers!

I hear ya Bill, I think they went through 150 or so...

more than twice that, 300+ Edited by dmk

Thanks ben and you are right. Plastic doesn't bend like metal. I worked in a salvage yard for six years and have seen a lot of reference material. That and being a Demolition derby fan and pit crew for many years tends to help as far as bending metal. Thanks again for the kind words....

Thanks ben and you are right. Plastic doesn't bend like metal. I worked in a salvage yard for six years and have seen a lot of reference material. That and being a Demolition derby fan and pit crew for many years tends to help as far as bending metal. Thanks again for the kind words....

You're very welcome. ;)

That looks great but if it had hit a tree and flipped then surly the screen would be at least cracked if not shatterd!!! Great rust tho B)

Not a tree, a clump of small saplings. it could come out looking this way as I've seen a car do a similar roll and came out without a broken windshield at all. I've seen just about every type of accident car first hand, some I didn't really want to see but I have. Granted it could of depending on a more direct hit to that area but if hit more on the sheet metal the glass wouldn't of taken the impact.

• 3 weeks later...

It was an entertaining show and I enjoyed it as a kid, but it wasn't worth the destruction of all those Chargers.

i disagree, the charger wouldn't be quite as world-wide famous if it wasn't for the show and not nearly as desirable. besides, at the time they were just 8-9 year old cars (would you cry over a 2002 dodge stratus being destroyed for a fun tv show?)

i disagree, the charger wouldn't be quite as world-wide famous if it wasn't for the show and not nearly as desirable. besides, at the time they were just 8-9 year old cars (would you cry over a 2002 dodge stratus being destroyed for a fun tv show?)

Its kind of hard to compare a generation 2 dodge charger to a 2002 dodge stratus that I dont think even has an american made drive train in it. I couldn't even compare it to the new dodge charger because it has 4 doors. A better comparison would be the new dodge challenger, its very similar to the 2nd generation charger in that you can get it with a v6 (comparison of a 318 in 1968) or a hemi (comparison of a 440 6pack or hemi in 1968).

You are correct though in that when they made that show dodge's were pretty much throw away cars back when they started that series. I know when I turned 16 in 1986 I was able to purchase a 1973 Charger SE factory 440HP magnum car with 76,000 miles with my $3.35 an hour taco bell pay for $1700.

• 1 year later...

Kerry - this is just terrific!! I imagine there were several Chargers about like your rendition scattered about during the show's run. Excellent tribute! I've done a little melting and bending of plastic. Usually when it's hot, I press a rough rock into the panel - helps with the texture in the bend. Excellent work on the Charger!