Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint question

there's more than one school of thought on the Testors paints. Most of the standard line of spray paints take a verbal beating on a fairly regular basis. I've never heard too much against their bottle paints. The Model Master line from Testors is the preferred paints for a lot of folks. Unless you plan to do a lot of painting on a daily basis I wouldn't buy that much testors paint at one time, as you'll find that once opened the standard formulation of testors paints dries out quickly. I find it's better to keep a smaller stash of regular use colors on hand and buy others on an as you need them basis. But that's just me.

I use the Testors bottles and Model Master paints all the time. First time opening the bottle, I drop in a steel ball (slingshot ammo) to help mix it better. Seems like the LHS and Hobby Lobby are over $2.00 per bottle so maybe Mega Hobby might be a good deal - depending on the colors.

How likely is it you would use 45 colors? I guess I'm the sort who'd recommend caution about putting the cart before the horse. You're loading up on a lot of supplies before you know what your needs are. However I admire your vigor for the hobby and look forward to seeing your efforts.

i am not sure what you all think of Testors enamel bottle paint but is it ok paint ? and Mega Hobby has 45 colors for 78 dollars , is that a good price ??

Anne ,

The Testors bottle paints are an excellent product to use . Cut it at a 2 to 1 paint to thinner ratio to shoot it through your airbrush . I read that you bought the Paache H kit . Use the # 5 head and needle assembly , you'll get more coverage with each pass .

One more thing I forgot .... You want to use cheap hardware variety laquer thinner , no automotive grade !

Donn Yost

Edited by LoneWolf15

Here ya go, Anne. http://oldmansmodels.com/id76.html Worth every penny.

As far as buying paints, they're getting more expensive every day, but you can get around that if you're not in a huge rush. Every once in a while Tower Hobbies offers free shipping on orders over $25.00, and someone on here will announce it. This is the time to get things you'll use over the long term, such as bottles of Model Master Metalizer. It wouldn't hurt to have an assortment of quality sable brushes either.

Edited by Monty