Model Cars Magazine Forum

Procharged Corvette Z06 - updated 4/10 Finished!

shucky

Here is something I've been working on as a quick build since getting my Pace paint booth up and running. I have allergy induced asthma for those that dont know so painting in the house was a no-no so I haven't really finished a build in 2-3 years. I'd get only so far than be reluctant to spray paint anything so the builds were shelved. Well NOW I can paint and BUILD again so I have a bunch of projects in the works.

Started with the somewhat "unloved" Jada Z06 kit. I actually like the Jada kits for their simplicity. They make great quick builds.
IMG_0001.jpg

Tamiya Enzo tire pack, resin sleeves, and resin wheel inserts
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

Early mock up! Body mods are subtle. I reshaped how the rear (behind the rear tire) comes down, removed third brake light, and opened up the vents on the front fenders.
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg

Carved a lip spoiler
IMG_0027.jpg

This kit only has a simplistic engine insert. I'm going to improve upon that a bit with some creative add on's and detailing. Oh ... and a resin Procharger will find its way up front also!
IMG_0095.jpg

More coming soon. Thanks for looking!

Edited by shucky

The supercharger is right at home in the front corner of the engine bay, but it's a tight fit.

IMG_0097.jpg

Here I outlined the area to be removed in order for the supercharger to sit lower and mount up nicely.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Area removed.

IMG_0105.jpg

Fit like a glove! Mocked up.

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Body, headlight buckets, hood, chassis, spoiler, and wheels already in primer. Working on cleaning up the engine bay insert now readying it for additional detailing. More to come and thanks for looking. Appreciate the comments.

man, this is awesome. i like where its going. keep up the great work.

my 4yr old son has excersize enduced asthma..do you know how hard it is for a 4yr old to stay still....lols but im glad to hear that you can start painting now. best of luck.

Nick, not really selling any resin at the moment. Working on my own projects for now.

Jonathan, they did a run of 4 kits for a bit but they are no longer being made. They are somewhat simple kits but the plastic is very high quality and very clean. The Mustang kit is very nice.

Thanks for the kind words guys. More progress coming shortly. Been cleaning up (removing) some of the molded in detail on the engine bay insert. Stay tuned.

Test fitting again. Blue arrows show where I removed molded in detail with rifler files. Added a very thin strip of styrene on each side (front of motor/blue arrows) to give a better appearance of the factory engine covers being separate pieces than molded all as one solid piece. Each was carefully tapered at each end. Throttle body area was removed from pulley assembly because I made a new one from styrene stock (show later). Red arrows show where I will be removing/reshaping next. Mock up shows supercharger in place with small length of aluminum tubing for the hose connection and scrap piece of aluminum tubing leading to the intercooler (will be replaced with either polished piece, or painted styrene). So far really pleased with how its turning out! And YES! It all fits nicely under the stock hood. Should have primer on the engine bay insert, engine, and exhaust mani's this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to work on the interior as well. More pics coming over the weekend. Thanks as always for the comments.

IMG_0116a.jpg

Edited by shucky

Thanks guys. Rob, now that you mention it ... filling those side marker lights sounds like a good idea. I'll play around with it later tonight.

Steve, some folks think the Jada Vette 'looks' out of proportion or swollen lol. I think its look is subtle and suits a build like this where it doesn't need to look "stock." Either way, I have 3 of them lol and plan to build them all at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

Have some progress to share. Been working on sorting the engine and engine bay. Here I've got the motor painted metalizer aluminum plate with a matte clear, matte red covers, and matte black on the intake manifold. Started adding plug wires and boots.

IMG_0117.jpg

Finished plug wires and mock up with belts.

IMG_0119.jpg

Addt'l mock up's in the engine bay checking fitment again.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Throttle body was molded (sorta) to the belt assembly. I removed it and made a new one using scrap styrene. Here is the new finished detailed throttle body.

IMG_0128.jpg

Throttle body and belt assembly now mounted on engine insert, here it is placed in the engine bay insert for mock up purposes.

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

I'll be working next on painting, detailing, and mounting the supercharger and charge piping as well as detailing and finishing the engine bay. Thanks for watching. More to come.

This looks like a great kit, I didn't know jada made kits like this either. You did a real clean job with it, nice suttle details. Just curious but did the kit come with the wheels on the box? I would love to see what they look like on there. Nice job, can't wait to see it finished.

• 6 months later...

Its been a long time since I've updated this thread. I'm still working on this build but did have some delays along the way when there was a little construction going on at my house. I'm also just not so great at keeping my posts updated anymore lol. Here are some new pics and I'll keep adding updates and progress along the way.

Here I'm working on the new intake tube. Polished aluminum piece added and also added some Archer dry transfers for warning labels and such.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

I wanted a flat bottom steering wheel and couldn't find any in my parts bin so I opted to make one from bent solder and plastic bits.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Edited by shucky

I also needed to make a new emergency brake handle so I chucked some round aluminum tubing into the dremel and carved some thin finger grip/grooves into it with the back of an xacto.

IMG_0478.jpg

Next up were the gauges. The kit gauges kinda stink so I cut thin slices of aluminum tube for the bezels and found some gauge faces online. I reduced them in Word and printed them out in size. Only the essentials here .. RPM, boost, and oil lol punched out with a micro punch from Micro Mark.

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Here is a shot of the interior. Mounted the new e-brake, shifter, and pedals.

IMG_0165.jpg