Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 International S-100 Pickup

If you're looking for a resin kit of one of those, there's one which usually pops up on Ebay every once in a while. I'm almost certain it's made by R&R Resin and/or username, "miteymouse". I've always hoped someone would mold a `59-`61 myself.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

If you're looking for a resin kit of one of those, there's one which usually pops up on Ebay every once in a while. I'm almost certain it's made by R&R Resin and/or username, "miteymouse". I've always hoped someone would mold a `59-`61 myself.

Although he calls it a 1956, the R&R resin that "miteymouse" sells on eBay is actually a 1957 International. It would make a great build because it was the 50th Anniversary model and a special gold and white paint job was available:

671a0f4dcb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

VERY NICE!!!! Love those old Internationals. :)

First of all - I just composed this post and I figured that I had better go back and say right at the start that I am not trying to hijack anyone's thread here.. the discussion was about International trucks and I figured I'd just add a bit here.. hopefully no one gets upset with me.. I appologize beforehand if you do.. :)

First of all, I just looked ar R&R's website - he has an impressive array but I am wondering what the quality is like. Looking at some of the pictures, there seems to be some kits that are a lot cleaner than others as far as flash goes. Just wondering what the quality is like because he offers some really neat stuff!

A little story here - all of it totally true - for anyone who might be interested and if you aren't - oh well... :rolleyes:

The International pickup in the first picture on this thread is the same as an old '56 International single wheel ( not duals ) one ton S-130 tow truck that I have here that I used to use around the property for moving cars around and doing all sorts of lifting and pulling. I could write some interesting stories of when we used it as a winch truck back in my forwood hauling days. I was hauling firewood with my two brothers and we'd go up into the hills with three trucks - the tow truck and two pickups. If we had to get onto a logged off landing to get dry wood and the roads were bad because of ice or new snow, we'd chain up the old tow truck, pick my '59 Chevy half ton on the sling on the back of the tow truck for weight and hook a chain from the back bumper of the '59 to my brother's '61 Chevy pickup and the old 'Binder would march right on up the hills through anything - ice or snow or mud - and never hardly grunt and never spin a wheel. We would find large standing dead larch trees ( aka tamarac ) that no one else could get to because they were down over a bank or too far from the road and the old tow truck would would winch the logs up to or out to the road so that we could cut them into firewood lengths. I had almost 200 feet of good cable on the winch so she'd pull trees from a long ways away.

I wish that I had thought of taking a camera with me on those trips but it just never occured to me at the time. I'd love to find a model of a '56 like in that top picture and build a replica of "the old tow truck" as we affectionatly called it. Those old IHC trucks were not very speedy on the highway but they were reliable to a fault, strong and just plain tougher than nails. Honestly, as fond as I am of GM's, Fords and Dodges, I really doubt that in a civilian marketed truck, there was anything that could even come close to those old Internationals when it came to being rugged, strong and durable.

The old tow truck is sitting out back awaiting an engine transplant which I hope to do in the not too distant future. The engine still ran when I parked it almost ten years ago now but the clutch linkage was really badly worn out and the throw out bearing on the pressure plate wasn't releasing I guess and it piled up and r\\wore through the fingers on the pressure plate rendering the truck inoperable. The old six cylinder was really tired and it will be replaced when the new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing are installed. Yup - that was one tough truck all right. We now use a 1980 F-350 wrecker around the place but the thing is a wimp compared to that old International. the Ford does OK as shown in the picture below - but comparing it to the old tow truck is like comparing apples to oranges. I guess that the old tow truck is why I am so crazy about Mater - the old tow truck from the Disney movie Cars. I collect Mater toys.. wish some one would release a model of him.... *sighs* Oh well, maybe I'll just have to do one of the old Ford.. I was going to post a couple of action shots of her in action last Fall but I figured that my doing so may be considered hijacking.. I'll post them if anyone wants on the trucks thread if it is not proper to do so here.. :)

The one that R&R sells is a copy of a '57 Golden Anniversary pick-up. It was a special package for the 50th anniversary of IH truck production. They were the special gold and white two tone, and had a special gold/houndstooth seat upholstry, alng with door panels. Every IH dealer recieved 1 truck, and had the ability to order more. They were all A-100 1/2 tons.

The R&R truck has a Chevy frame with it, (as the original was a promo) which has the coil spring rear suspension. The real truck had leaf spring rear suspensio

First of all - I just composed this post and I figured that I had better go back and say right at the start that I am not trying to hijack anyone's thread here.. the discussion was about International trucks and I figured I'd just add a bit here.. hopefully no one gets upset with me.. I appologize beforehand if you do.. :P

Well, Gary, I sure don't mind it when you have such great IH stories to tell, particulary since I am an International Truck retiree!

A little story here - all of it totally true - for anyone who might be interested and if you aren't - oh well... :rolleyes:

The International pickup in the first picture of this thread is the same as my old '56 International single wheel (not duals) one ton S-130 tow truck that I used around the property for moving cars and doing all sorts of lifting and pulling......

I wish that I had thought of taking a camera with me on those trips but it just never occured to me at the time. I'd love to find a model of a '56 like in that top picture and build a replica of "the old tow truck" as we affectionately called it. Those old IHC trucks were not very speedy on the highway but they were reliable to a fault, strong and just plain tougher than nails. Honestly, as fond as I am of GM's, Fords and Dodges, I really doubt that in a civilian marketed truck, there was anything that could even come close to those old Internationals when it came to being rugged, strong and durable.

Can you post some pictures of the International tow truck? When you are ready to build a model of it, we might work something out to get you some parts like I used for the truck in the original post.

Changing to the correct rear suspension wouldn't be easy, as the chassis is a one piece casting. Might be easier to start with a different kit frame and go from there. If you need, I can get some refrence pics of a frame/suspension.