Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

I found this picture of a 1920's dirt track racer a while back and figured it would make an interesting scratchbuild. Would you believe this thing hurtled around a quarter mile dirt track with driver and riding mechanic..... with no seat belts!

1986_Haucke_Ford.jpg

Here's my 1/32 scale version using the Pyro Couplet frame, engines and wheels. The rest is scratchbuilt

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

Tony

Spent the last hour and a half going thru all this....stunning work everyone!!

Included a couple of my current drag racing projects....pro mod scratchbuilt chassis' in brass and styrene. The bodies are not 100% scratched, but pretty close. (68 Vette Roadster and 2011 Challenger Pro Mod's)

DCP_4151.jpg

DCP_3699.jpg

pix3.jpg

b4aft1_zpsf7b34ccb.jpg

I found this picture of a 1920's dirt track racer a while back and figured it would make an interesting scratchbuild. Would you believe this thing hurtled around a quarter mile dirt track with driver and riding mechanic..... with no seat belts!

1986_Haucke_Ford.jpg

Here's my 1/32 scale version using the Pyro Couplet frame, engines and wheels. The rest is scratchbuilt

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

Tony

no seat belts? there's only one steering wheel between them to hang on to!

makes the Bug look lake a Nader design. great job on the build.

That school bus is amazing, Tom. How did you do the hood, fenders, etc.? I want to build a Loadstar 1600, and it looks like I will have to scratch the cab. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. As for the rest of the work shown in this thread- just incredible! I love seeing what you folks can do.

Edited by Kit Basher

All the builds that I've seen here are awesome. Now, if you ever get a chance to see the school bus in person, it is more than awesome. I can't find the right words to describe it but it won best of show in Columbus Ohio ( I forget what year :(). It sure looks like Tom took a 1:1 bus and shrunk it down to scale. The greatest build of a bus ever. Great job Tom. :) :) Dan

Edited by 59 Impala

I'm in awe.

I like seeing all the scratchbuilt stuff, but I simply don't have the skill's or patience to do so. So my idea of scratchbuild ususally means " Oh BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH,,, I scratched it now I gotta rebuild it "

To the ones making a complete replica from nothing but an idea and stryene sheets/strips simply amazes me

Tom…what beuatiful builts! Wow!

Buddies – you’re all crazy. Incedible! I’m a little light with my gadgets, if I look at your builts…braving the gap.

I took a few pictures of my post in “my” german forum. Here we go.

57’ Bel Air; Window lifter mechanic and the inner Doorpanels:

CIMG7733.JPG

CIMG7756.JPG

CIMG7858.JPG

My favorite Open Road Camper; aquarium and more than 170 „stuff“ parts:

CIMG7515.JPG

CIMG7529.JPG

surfboard built of wood:

CIMG7527.JPG

Awesome projects........ B)

this is mine..........

IMG-20111130-00442.jpg

i used 1/8 brass tubing.

this is the idea.........

IMG-20120305-00768.jpg

this is the first time that i build something like this............ B)

Did you build a jig to make the frame or were you just laying on that cutting board and soldering? Just curious how you wnet about it. I am going to be building some aircrfat fuselage interior framing and was wondering. I did a little bit in the past where I taped the pieces to a piece of tracing papaer and did it burning away the paper as I soldered. That actually worked pretty well.

MSD unit. Mostly aluminum. A couple-few dozen parts and some wires and custom decals. Even has the shock absorbing mounts.

DSC09986C.jpg

Fire extinguisher.

DSC09266.jpg

Wheel(s). The tire is kit sourced, the wheel including valve stem and core is 100% scratch.

DSC00008.jpg

How about a can of tire sealer? The bottom of the can has the code printed on it and there is a core in the valve too.

DSC09366.jpg

DSC09370.jpg

Alternator. 42 individually scratchbuilt parts if I recall correctly...

DSC09889.jpg

DSC09892.jpg

Are you sure you did not just shrink a real one? What scale are you working in here?