Model Cars Magazine Forum

Australian V8 supercars

if a model company did them would they be a good seller? like Nascar has a big following and lots of model kits made ,for years I have followed this series and I find it more fun to watch .would like to see some kind of kit made .Like this one.

post-3542-0-30596300-1419082170_thumb.jp

Edited by Mr mopar

I would love to see kits of these! Unfortunately although Ford will run through the 2015 season, after that - they're done. Nissan, Volvo and Holden also have contracts to support teams through 2015. Mercedes Benz has shown interest, but has yet to commit. Sad to see Ford go after their long history in the series. I would however be interested in any kits done of these cars! They are more like WTCC cars with V8's stuffed in them.

I know I'd buy a bunch. Revell Germany did many DTM cars so why not Australian V8 cars? Just as popular I would think.

I would say Germany has a bigger market due to its population plus a little over flow due to interest in Motorsport in the rest of Europe as well.

Ben

Good point. It was just selfish thinking on my part as I think the V8 Supercars put on such exciting races that everyone would share in my views.

I wasn't trying to burn you. I'm Australian and like Motorsport as well. You're right about the racing being exciting. Cheers.

Ben

Perhaps Aoshima's Australian distributor could have a word with them. I hear he posts on here.

:P

Seriously, if there was a chance of anyone making $$$ producing kits of these don't you think they'd be doing so? The local market is too small and while there are a few enlightened overseas viewers of the races I doubt there are enough who would buy model kits you have to put effort into (and have some skill to build) when they can buy a die cast

Does Australia have a big enough hobby market to support a local model company producing injection-molded car kits? Like a version of Moebius or Galaxie International, and kits of Holdens and Oz market Fords/Chryslers?

Not sure to be honest. Drake trailers is coming out in 2015 with a plastic assembly Truck and Lowloader in 1/24 (Kenworth K200 and Drake swing wing with dolly) They're already doing diecast in 1/50. Belkits from Belgium does 1/24 rally cars and look fairly nice and seem to be doing well. I really think it depends on the market. Trucks seem to sell fairly well in Australia. Drake is really testing the waters with their product, that will decide if they do more or not.

Ben

It made me chuckle when I read that Roger Penske announced that his group was going V8 Supercar racing in Australia just as Ford was pulling out of the series(and the whole Australian car industry is heading to the dumper).Perfect timing,RP,perfect timing.Marcus Ambrose may be back stateside sooner than he anticipated.

BTW,V8 Supercars aren't anything like NASCAR Cup cars.Cup cars are tube frame,non production based cars.V8 Supercars(correct me if I'm wrong) are production car based racers with a cage system added.

I believe the V8 Supercars are now using a common chassis with different engines and bodywork. Not exactly like NASCAR, but kinda the same idea. And of course, they turn left and right at every race.

You're right Steve. I prefer the old days even though I'm youngish that the car you saw race on Sunday was the car you could buy in Monday. Cheers.

Ben

Does Australia have a big enough hobby market to support a local model company producing injection-molded car kits? Like a version of Moebius or Galaxie International, and kits of Holdens and Oz market Fords/Chryslers?

No.

Perhaps Aoshima's Australian distributor could have a word with them. I hear he posts on here.

:P

:blink: That's gold!

It's a pity the market is to small here to justify producing them but I think non modellers would have a go at these. There's plenty of V8 fans that'd probably have a go at building their favourite drivers car.