Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re: Testor's Paint

I think they're water-based.

I'm thinking that too, the labels on the bottles look like the acrylic ones as does what little I can see of the box.

Edit: Not to mention it says Acrylic in two other languages on the bottom left of the box too.

Edited by Joe Handley

Having run high percentage ethanol fuel in my Chrysler for the past couple years, I find that I prefer the smell of that over regular pump gas, and especially over the nitromethane R/C fuels. Funny thing about it though, is that I worked for a drug store back in high school and it's no worse than many on the alcoholic beverages I had to mop off the floor there (with the exception of Corona and red wine on concrete, that wine on concrete smell was nearly was bad as vomit!), while the exhaust scent is comically reminicent of breath of many of the customers who made working Friday/Saturday/Sunday and holidays "interesting".

Edited by Joe Handley

So what....did Testors stop making enamel paint or did this Freiburger guy use the wrong stuff?

AFAIK, they're still making enamel. On one of my model airplane boards, guys have been complaining about recent batches of some colors. I've noticed a difference in viscosity in the last few years. Used to be the stuff was all pretty much the same. Now you can open one bottle and it's like pouring syrup, another bottle of the same color could almost be airbrushed as-is, it's so thin. :wacko:

I've been building since the early 60s and I noticed most model enamel bottle paint formulas changed somewhere in the 90s. For whatever reason or whatever was changed they seem less effective. I find them today to be thinner, more translucent, dry stickier or more slowly, don't cover that well and the flats are not so flat as they once were. Kind of like there's less pigment in the mix.

The good old days

plapaint-vi.jpg

TestorPaintLARGE-vi.jpg

Has their been a change in EPA regulations that might have forced Testors to change things again?

Prolly more trying to screw the bottom line up tighter. They now have thousands fewer retail outlets than they did 20, 30, or 40 years ago, with many LHS closing and most of the "five and dime" and discount houses getting out of the model bidness.

Prolly more trying to screw the bottom line up tighter. They now have thousands fewer retail outlets than they did 20, 30, or 40 years ago, with many LHS closing and most of the "five and dime" and discount houses getting out of the model bidness.

Considering they've killed off Pactra (which annoys me greatly) and Floquil/Polly S (which annoys me to a lesser extent), that makes sense, but their lacquer lines have kinda eaten into enamel sales from what I've seen at work too.