Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda Reference Pics & Info

(PS for you non Mopar Muscle Mavens out there, all '70 'cudas came factory equipped with Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 RWL tires...TB)

Sorry, but that would be incorrect.

Actually a Hemi Cuda is the only one that got the F60-15 tire as standard equipment.

Everything else when ordered with 15" tires received the smaller E60-15 's

The standard 'Cuda tire was an F70-14

AAR Cuda's excluded

Edited by gtx6970

David, not only do they look good, they fit perfectly - a straight swap, no kitbashing. TIM

(PS for you non Mopar Muscle Mavens out there, all '70 'cudas came factory equipped with Goodyear Polyglas GT F16-15 RWL tires...TB)

Thanks Tim Dave

Sorry, but that would be incorrect.

Actually a Hemi Cuda is the only one that got the F60-15 tire as standard equipment.

Everything else when ordered with 15" tires received the smaller E60-15 's

The standard 'Cuda tire was an F70-14

AAR Cuda's excluded

Bill is of course exactly correct that the F60-15 was JUST the Hemi 'cuda...unfortunately I was rushing and forget to include the word

"Hemi" prior to "cudas" in my response. I just corrected the post accordingly.

Thanks Bill for catching that. TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I almost typed the wrong thing about the engine compartment until I realized the body color is black....

Nice job Tim!

For those non-Mopar modelers out there, John's note refers to the fact that on most Mopars, and specifically E-Body 'cudas and Challengers, the engine compartment paint matches the exterior paint color. Since I painted this model Gloss Black...well, that's also the color of the engine compartment, vs. the generic matt black, for instance, of many GM muscle car engine compartments no matter what their exterior color.

Thanks for the compliment, Johm! TB

So I am wondering if one is painting the grill and the Shaker in silver. Has anyone seen a correct Shaker car (in person) and is the Shaker (Astrotone silver) lighter than the grill? I know the rocker gill moldings are a lighter silver but I am wondering about the Shaker vs the Grill for correct tones. Thanks

So I am wondering if one is painting the grill and the Shaker in silver. Has anyone seen a correct Shaker car (in person) and is the Shaker (Astrotone silver) lighter than the grill? I know the rocker gill moldings are a lighter silver but I am wondering about the Shaker vs the Grill for correct tones. Thanks

Yes in the OE world the grille is darker than the shaker bubble but mot by much and I have my doubts one could detect it 1/25th scale

Yes in the OE world the grille is darker than the shaker bubble but mot by much and I have my doubts one could detect it 1/25th scale

And the sources I have consulted suggest that the Shaker scoop "Astrotone" is a much heavier flake than the grille's silver paint .. TB

Tim,

Actually all I need , is the hood . I made this one to fit the MPC body but it's a tad to wide . And I would rather not trim it down to fit the new Revell body.

DSC01809_zps44efb13f.jpg

DSC01810_zpscd4f739d.jpg

Aha! I get it now! TIM

Mopar guys not notice a detail like that? Nah, never happen! ;) There's Mopar guys out there that can spot the deck height difference on big blocks in 1/25th. scale! :lol:

All kidding aside, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't black also available very early in the run? I remember reading about a non-Argent color somewhere in the past.....

And yes, it's killing me not being able to put my hands on one, in good conscience, until Christmas. <Grrrrr!> :angry:

And the sources I have consulted suggest that the Shaker scoop "Astrotone" is a much heavier flake than the grille's silver paint .. TB

Grilles and shaker bubbles were each painted by there respective venders that supplied said part. I can't say that I've ever heard of a flake size variation for the textured argent so thats a new one on me .

Fram supplied the shaker bubble but I don't know who supplied the grille.

Mopar guys not notice a detail like that? Nah, never happen! ;) There's Mopar guys out there that can spot the deck height difference on big blocks in 1/25th. scale! :lol:

All kidding aside, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't black also available very early in the run? I remember reading about a non-Argent color somewhere in the past

Wouldn't suprise me on the Mopar guys ( I 'm one of them )

As far as I know the 1970 Cuda shaker was medium argent only,,, with excetion to some very early build FE5 Rallye Red cars were avail with a red bubble.

1971 Shaker cars were supposedly all dark argent bubbles

Edited by gtx6970

I had a Mopar guy tell me I had the incorrect grain on my door panels for a `68 (he was right, they're from a `69) but I still felt compelled to tell him NOT to look under the hood. The 6 Bbl. would give him a stroke!

Mopar guys can be a huge PIA.... and yes, I'm one too. Just not that obsessed. I deleted the A/C and converted it to a 4 spd. And it's an original 340-S. Makes the numbers-matching guys twitch.

Grilles and shaker bubbles were each painted by there respective venders that supplied said part. I can't say that I've ever heard of a flake size variation for the textured argent so thats a new one on me .

Fram supplied the shaker bubble but I don't know who supplied the grille.

Wouldn't suprise me on the Mopar guys ( I 'm one of them )

As far as I know the 1970 Cuda shaker was medium argent only,,, with excetion to some very early build FE5 Rallye Red cars were avail with a red bubble.

1971 Shaker cars were supposedly all dark argent bubbles

The sources I consulted pretty much agree on the following:

Shakers on '70 'cudas were available in four colors by the end of the model year

- Astrotone (heavy silver flake),

- Organisol Black (matt black)

- Rallye Red (with Rallye Red cars only ) and

- BlueFire Metallic (with B5 BlueFireMetalllic cars only).

Organisol Black (IIRC) and Rallye Red (definitely) started the year, Astrotone added later, and finally, BlueFire at midyear - making that color pretty rare in final production.

There doesn't appear to be any consensus, however, on what determined whether the Astrotone or Organisol Black was used with various exterior colors.

I haven't researched the '71 Air Grabber colors, but the B5 Blue was a different color that year, and the entire 'cuda color and trim program was greatly simplified for that year, so it probably affected the AirGrabber colors.

TIM

PS, as Bill notes, Fram was a supplier, and sources say that they also provided/painted the air cleaner used with Air Grabbers, and as a result it was a different shade of orange than the Street Hemi Orange on the engine block. Revell provides the air cleaner as a separate part, so I dutifully painted it different orange (pictures later....) TB

Edited by tim boyd

Tim.

I'm not sure of your source.

But me personally , I've not seen or heard of any shaker color outside of the ones I described above.

BUT, I haven't seem them all either

I've been collecting books and articles on '70 'cudas for over 25 years now, it turns out, awaiting the time when we'd have a modern 'cuda kit to build. Info above was from several different published sources that all agree on those topics.

But exactly like you, I haven't personally seen all the colors described above.... TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I've never seen a blue shaker, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I do remember reading that Chrysler intended to have the shaker match the exterior color on all cars but the supplier had trouble with the paint sticking to the plastic they were made of. Since a Rallye Red 'cuda with a shaker was featured in the sales literature their lawyers informed them that they would have to offer at least red shakers to match what they had advertised.

The metallic flakes in the "Astrotone" on the Shaker hoods was reforumlated by at least the 1970 calendar year , as the glare caused by the flakes was deemed a hazard .

The info on the FE5 Shaker colour is correct .

All 1971 Shakers were semi-flat black ; they were also standard equipment on the HemiCuda (probably a "build-out" deal , as the option was cancelled for 1972) .