Model Cars Magazine Forum

'99 F-150 Ext Cab Flareside

if anyone read that, they know there wasnt any ext cab 99 ford made...other than a lightning. I had 3 cabs 3 beds and a lot of time on my hands, so me, myself and dremel got our groove on.

I raised the the rear fenders up to clear 26" rims/tires, shaved smooth, tonneau cover built into the tailgate, side and rear windows smoothed out, frenched plate in the rear of the cab, bodydropped with suicide doors that scrape, hood hinged, hand fabbed frame with 409 wired & plumbed, serpintine belt & billet pulleys do the dress up. interior is all custom with 2 flame amps, 2-15" subs on the back wall, 2 12" inverted subs behind the seats, 2 10" round inverted in lower area behind seats, suspension moves, sliding sunroof that works..etc...ill just post pics.

100_1630.jpg

100_1629.jpg

100_1627.jpg

100_1632.jpg

100_1633.jpg

100_1634.jpg

100_1635.jpg

100_1638.jpg

100_1636.jpg

100_1641.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The '99 F- 150 is darn near identical to the '97, and almost every permutation has been kitted. Revell had the Lightning, an extended cab flareside, a standard cab and long box and the Harley- Davidson F-150 (with a Sportster and trailer). Lindberg did a really nice standard cab flareside 4x4, and AMT did a snpper of the extended cab short styleside box and a glue kit with the standard cab short styleside box. I've done just about every possible box, cab, suspension and drivetrain swap you can do on these things.

Edited by Harold

The differences were very, very minor. '97's had the NASCAR style exhaust that exited just ahead of the rear wheel. Ford found out this caused discoloration of the wheel from the exhaust fumes, so for '98, the exhaust was extended over the axle and exited out he back in the more customary location just in front of the rear bumper. Both '97 and '98 were otherwise identical, as both years had the same grille and front bumper-

db_97f150-vi.jpg

The earlier Revel-o-gram kits had this style grille, but as far as I know the only Revell kits with the '99 style grille were the Lightning and Harley Davidson versions. On that '99 style, the bumper was different, the grille 'dipped' down into it a little, and there were different inserts (the Lighting had a mesh setup, while the regular F-150 had the old style 'bar' setup)-

99f150-vi.jpg

That's what kind of throws me- the bumper on this one looks like the '97/'98 style, and since the second-generation Lighting wasn't introduced until '99, and the Revell kit is a '99, and Sonoma says (and I believe him!) all the parts are from the Lightning kits, I don't see how the '97/'98 grille and bumper got into the mix, unless he modified them. :(

But at any rate... I'm really liking the buildup, and yeah, I really think Ford should have built a Super Cab Lighting! (Well, the Harley Editon pretty much was a SuperCab or Super Crew version of the Lightning, but still!) Now if only somebody would do a kit of the new SVT Raptor! :D