Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touch Up Painting Mistakes During Polishing

I was polishing the color coat prior to installation of decals and burned through the paint slightly in a few locations. It's a Revell 69 Nova, and I'm using Tamiya blue in a rattle can; I can't remember the color number (TS-15, maybe). The spots I burned through are the ridge on the rear deck lid, the very rear tip of the rear quarter panel, and a spot under the lower character line behind one of the rear wheel openings. I was polishing with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (great stuff by the way) with an old t-shirt. Sorry, no pics at the moment.

What's the best and fastest way to touch this up? Do I need to respray the whole thing, and re-polish? I really don't wanna do that , but if I must...

Edited by Nate

You might have to just the way they do it with real cars. Tape off the section, scuff, and reshoot the paint, then clear, and sand and buff. That should do it.

I always spray minimum of 3-5 clear coats to buy some security. Good luck, Nate.

I think Cranky has it .. I just finished spot painting a Crown Vic that I was balking at this weekend and it came out good. I just have to reapply the clear coats to be sure it IS invisible. I got many good recommendations when I asked about it here, so here's the original post that may give you some good insight.

Edited by Foxer

Nate - are the spots just on the trunk lid? If yes, instead of reshooting the enitre body, you can mask off just the trunk. Mask on the trunk lid gap eliminating a ridge from the masking tape. I have found it easier to shoot one area than risk dust, etc. on the whole thing.