Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Wagon

am73grand

Dr. Olds. That would be a huge help! Please send me whatever you have. Especially the chassis where the spare tire well and gas tank are. If it's not too much work I may alter the chassis to match. I also need a shot of the passenger side cargo area storage.

Thanks!!!

i had a 1:1 71 vista. if you need more reference shots let me know. i have lots!

• 1 year later...

Reference pictures?

I saw a really cool 1970 Vista Cruiser with bucket from the factory and re-painted to look like a Hurst/Olds car. The W-30, hood, and the whole bit was factory installed. This was at a big, big cruise night and was owned by the DJ.

I thought I had a couple more pictures of the cargo area, but this will at least give you some ideas.

DSCF0769.jpg

DSCF0768.jpg

DSCF0767.jpg

DSCF0766.jpg

DSCF0765.jpg

DSCF0764.jpg

DSCF0763.jpg

Charlie Larkin

• 1 month later...

This is finally back on my bench. The resin caster that originally was going to cast it backed out because he felt the bodywork was not perfect. I was asked to build another with corrections. I tried twice to duplicate my own work but just couldn't come close to the original so.............It's in paint!

Picture098-vi.jpg

Picture100-vi.jpg

Picture097-vi.jpg

The chassis and interior are also painted. The motor is coming along. I will post another update over the weekend.

If you ever get the urge to try another one of these and it meets the caster's standards, there's at least one of these sold to me.

This is really nice work. Very well-done, Ron.

Seeing that you're not too far from MassCar, why don't you bring it up for a visit along with yourself? Our next meeting is September 19 in Dedham. I can give you directions if you need it.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie,

Thanks for the Invite! I have to be in work for 7 am. The MassCar meetings run a little late for me....Plus I am an hour away. I went to one meeting and had fun (I am a MASSCAR member) just too far and too late for me to get into work the next day.

At some point I will build another one of these. It will be the shorter regular wagon though. This project really pushed the limits of my abilities as it is...lol.

i am a big olds fan and love the vistas! i am completely blown away by this build. but, i have to ask, why would you paint the engine gold? gold=350. if you had a 442 W-30 it would have a 455. blue =455. most vistas including the '70 and the '71 i had came factory with 455's. just wondering.

Thanks Gregg, Was looking at the second and third I started for you.......I may try this again.......If I can pull it off I'm gonna get a hold of you.

Dr. Olds. I know a 455 would be factory correct in Blue but seeing as how this car is a bit of a street machine, rather than bone stock, I figured Gold would stand out better against all the black under the hood. The last reason was because I love sleepers. If I built one of these in 1:1 I would try and hide the 455 any way I could. So I would paint the engine gold.