Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Stepside "Down Low" - Updated 10/13/2013

Bill... You are welcome for the Chassis shots. Hopefully they helped.

Jeremy... Thank you!

Eric... Thanks man!

Christopher... thanks man. I was leaning towards the Giraffe myself but I have one more to throw in the mix to show you guys...lol I know the feeling all to well about being like a fish and seeing something shiny...lol

Curt... You hit the nail on the head man!! I was actually thinking of painting the gold dash knobs with alclad to chrome them but I almost wonder what would happen if I just try to polish them if it will polish like brass or what it would look like. I also have already sourced some small bamboo material to do the bed like that. You know I am trying to make it to the NNL this year but I am not sure if I will be able to make it or not. I would love to make it out again because I had a blast last year. If I do make it I am not sure if I will have any builds with me or not depending on if I can get anything finished by then. So we will see. I would love to see some of my old Monterey Bay Area Scale Model buddies

Ok guys... so I picked up another style of interior decal. I will for sure go with one of these two.... Giraffe hide or Cow Hide???? I think that both with go good with that blue & white combo of the body and interior. Tell me what you guys think.... Thanks!

57ChevyPU0461-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

I like the giraffe because its not as busy. At least it looks that way since the spot patterns are smaller than the Jersey cows. The cow pattern would detract from the rest of the interior because of its larger scale busyness. But that's just me. :)

Edited by gasser59

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris go with the leopard print. I had a buddy in high school that had a 57 chevy car and his dad was an upholsterer and got some leopard print at work the car was painted in chrysler's plum crazy, and that leopard print really popped, for what it's worth. I've got a 55 Cameo that I am going to start on sometime soon I've been saving it for some time now thinking about pulling it out and getting started on it. Keep up the excellent work.

Leo... thanks man... I can't wait to have it done as well

James... sorry it's taken me a little time to get back to you. I have actually been focusing a little more on my 1/16th scale funny car build lately, But I dusted this kit off tonight and pulled it back out. I got to a point on my funny car where I needed a little break from it. It felt good to get back on this build. I did one thing tonight trying to fix the frame because it had a twist in it and when the bed was on it, it was leaning more towards the passenger side. So I had a bright Idea of getting a hair drier and heating it up to bend it so it would fix the problem. Doing this I actually jacked up the frame and I heated it way too much and it warped the frame. Luckily I had a 55 cameo kit that was still sealed and I had to rob the frame from it to fix what I messed up. The seat is ready for a final primer coat and I need to get some primer on the dash. I am hoping to have some updated pics up tomorrow ( i guess its actually today since its past midnight :lol: . I honestly think I can knock this build out in maybe two weeks....well I hope anyway lol

Larry... Thanks man. I am definitely going with the leopard print for this build. I think it is the best choice for how I am doing this build and hoping that it will pop with the blue that the body will be.

Hello All... I got some bench time on this build today.

Here is the chassis that I had to redo. I was trying to straighten the chassis with a hair dryer and I warped it way to much with the heat. So I had to start all over and redo it:

57ChevyPU0531-vi.jpg

This is to show where it was warped and I wasn't able to put the interior bucket into the mounting holes:

57ChevyPU0561-vi.jpg

I worked on the seat, sanding bondo and shooting primer and now it needs a light sand and is ready for paint:

57ChevyPU0591-vi.jpg

Then I worked on redoing the door panel:

57ChevyPU0511-vi.jpg

Here is a quick coat of primer to see where I need to fix the panel and it needs a little work but I think the look I am going for is turning out ok:

57ChevyPU0631-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris....Here is how I lowered my 55 chevy pu in the rear. Shaved off the spring hangers from the frame flipped them upside down on the opposite frame rails then flipped the springs upside down and the left became the right and the right became the left.

55chevysubrear_zps146da39d.jpg

Chris....Here is how I lowered my 55 chevy pu in the rear. Shaved off the spring hangers from the frame flipped them upside down on the opposite frame rails then flipped the springs upside down and the left became the right and the right became the left.

55chevysubrear_zps146da39d.jpg

Im doing a very similar thing to mine!

I was building this one for a guy I worked with...and this was how he was doing it on his 1:1 truck along with a camaro front sub frame and suspension....I used the 78 Camaro and cut off the the front subframe also...worked out just like his 1:1 did

Dave... Nice work on your frame. I like how you moved the leaf springs in to get it lowered. Since this is a curbside build I am doing I decided to leave the rear end out from my first go around. I had it it in the first frame before I messed that one up lol

Ok Fellas.... I got some more done to the interior of this build. I have pretty much finished the door panels and all that is needed is a final sanding of the primer before I lay color down. Here is a few pics of the progress....

Passenger Door Panel:

57ChevyPU0771-vi.jpg

Driver Door Panel:

57ChevyPU0791-vi.jpg

Dash:

57ChevyPU0821-vi.jpg

Dash with Seat and Parts by Parks Aluminum Steering Column:

57ChevyPU0871-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs