Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP.....69 Daytona Pro Mod..Updated 10/28/10

1320wayne

Here is the beginning of my latest project. And yes, I still have many other projects that I haven't finished yet. Those will be finished but you always need others on the workbench to bounce around to.

This is a 69 Daytona Pro Mod based on the master that I created for Top End Miniatures, now Holeshot Miniatures. The body is based on the Chip King car and even though I really like his car I decided that I have to create something with a bit more color and graphics to it. So, this will be a phantom build designed after what I think Chip's car should, or could look like.

The chassis will be primarily scratchbuilt out of styrene tubing and working suspension components.

So, here is the beginning.

DSC03676-vi.jpg

DSC03677-vi.jpg

DSC03678-vi.jpg

DSC03679-vi.jpg

DSC03680-vi.jpg

DSC03682-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Nice project, I'll be watching this one. That frame looks very nice, and it's made from styrene tubing ;) . I'm making scratchbuilt frame to my '63 Impala from metal rod. But my project will take forever...

Making steady progress on the chassis. Never have I gone this far with a scratchbuilt chassis before. It's fun but takes quite a bit of time to measure and cut and attach all of the pieces needed.

I will be slowly working on this one while I am also concentrating on finishing up some previously started projects at the same time.

DSC03710-vi.jpg

DSC03711-vi.jpg

You are a brave one, Wayne, doing the whole frame in styrene. It would make me nuts not doing it in brass. I am kind of a clumsy builder, always dropping stuff. I need the strength of brass to survive my ham-fisted building techniques.

ps What you have so far looks great!

Here is a lot more done on the chassis. Only a few more cross braces to install and the funny car style drivers area to finish and this part of the build is done. From there I will move onto the front and rear suspension setups and then start working in the sheet metal for the chassis.

I also did some work on correcting the rear wing for this body. The one that I did for the master was too high. I cut down the sides and created a new center section.

DSC03727-vi.jpg

DSC03728-vi.jpg

DSC03729-vi.jpg

DSC03731-vi.jpg

DSC03732-vi.jpg

Roger, I used chassis references located at various online sources.

Well, since it will be quite some time until this body sees any color I wanted to experiment with what kind of paint scheme I was going to go with. I used a scaled out drawing to work up an idea and I think I came up with a winner on the first try.

I might continue to play around just a bit with some other ideas but ths one seems to be the direction that I want to pursue.

DSC03734-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

So I started work on getting the engine mocked up so that I can figure out where it will sit in the framerails. The engine being used is a Ross Gibson modern pro stock Hemi that will be configured to a blower setup.

The blower is a resin cast Kobelco Superman blower from Holeshot Miniatures.

DSC03951-vi.jpg

DSC03952-vi.jpg

DSC03953-vi.jpg

Very nice! That frame fits perfectly and engine will be very nice too. I like more these blower engines without nitro in Pro Mod. What kind of front wheels you gonna use? This is so interesting project!

More progress on the engine. The motor plate is a resin piece from the parts box that I reworked to fit between the framerails. The blower manifold is also a resin piece from the parts box that I added a photo etch burst plate on the front as well as aluminum inserts for the fuel lines. The blower has been attached and will have a blower blanket added later.

DSC03958-vi.jpg

DSC03961-vi.jpg

DSC03964-vi.jpg

Dave, I am working on small styrene plates for the front and back of the blower manifold that will fill the gaps that you see.

Just cruisin along on this one. Here's more on the engine. Valve covers are painted and attached. Starting to get the pulleys in place. They were supplied from Protech. The photo etch blower holddown plate is from the Model Car Garage set. There will be plenty of photo etch bolt heads attached all over the engine as well.

DSC03966-vi.jpg

DSC03967-vi.jpg

DSC03968-vi.jpg

DSC03969-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took a short break from this one to finish another project. Now back to it.

I added more of the chassis/suspension framerails to the build. The front suspension is starting to take shape. And, I created a new fuel cell from altering a piece from an Action diecast by adding a new base along with bolthead details.

DSC03995-vi.jpg

DSC03996-vi.jpg

DSC03997-vi.jpg

More work done on the front spindles. I also added the engine plate between the block and the bellhousing. And, because the chassis work came out so intricate and is hard to get down into, the sheet metal work will have to be done in smaller pieces. You can see that I started on the sheet metal floorboard on the drivers side. These pieces will take some time as they will have to be cut and then shaped around the sections of tubing.

DSC03998-vi.jpg

DSC03999-vi.jpg

DSC04000-vi.jpg