Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures of your kit collections (waiting to be built)

For those who have been questioning insuring models, it is not really nessesary to have a separte policy. They are automaticaly covered as personal property on any homeowner, renters or condo policy.

What you do have to have is a current list and some photos of your stash so that you can prove that you owned 953 kits. Valuation can be shown by ebay or some other auction site or current cost if the kit is still availble. You need a separate rider for such things as jewerly, guns, money, furs etc. because the above mentioned policies have specific restriction or limits in the policy. There are no such restrictions on models. I would guess that most insurance companies don't see a lot of claims for plastic kits.

However there is one restriction and that applies to your built kits. Unless you bought it from someone else and have a reciept you will only get the value of a replacement kit. Insurance companies don't recognize your efforts unless you are a professional and they are inventory for sale. Then there is a whole differant set of rules that apply to business inventories. This also applies to your photos. The companies only have to give you replacement film.

So, for the average hobbiest, just keep a list and some photos, but then that applies to just about everything in your house.

Personally, every couple of years or so, I get the video camera out and shoot the whole house. I open all the drawers, cabinetes and closets and shoot everything. I then make a dvd and throw it in the safe depost box. Takes a couple of hours but I had to use it once and it came in handy.

Good advice here, Ive been in the insurance industry for 30 years, READ YOUR POLICY!!!!! they will cover collections but there is a dollar limit to it. If your collection exceeds this amount you need to have a writer added to the policy to make up the difference.

• 5 months later...

If I post pics of my unbuilt, yalls would just laugh at me and tell me to come back when I can hang with the big boys :lol:

<----has under 100

Don't feel bad.

I have far fewer than you do.

------has under 4 (one of those kits needs to find a new home on ebay, and I am building one of those kits now)

Well I figured i'd bump this topic with my new collection than that one a few posts above...its gotten quite larger with some rare and desirable kits.

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0020-1.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018-1.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

Wooooooooooooooow Brodie!!! I want those 1/8 and 1/16 kits in the worst way possible. I didn't even know they existed. How is the quality of them outside of the box?

Wow! Great to see what other people have. My wife shouldn't complain. I've been selective as to what I've bought lately. When I build something, it's usually for a person (eg, father in laws' mx5, granddad's first Mack) and I give it to them when its finished. About to give a couple of truck models to a truck museum. I have a lot of unbuilt ones at the minute.i would like to complete one a month but that's pushing it with work, study and training. The last model I bought was the aoshima subaru brz with engine to model my own car. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Ben

I have two big deuce kits, the red one & the yellow one.

Only reason I bought the yellow is the red one didn't have a flathead in it.

The yellow kit was offered to me at about 1/2 the cost of the aftermarket resin engine kits...dollar saved, dollar earned.

I can only build one at a time.

Besides my guitar collection plus my git build shop takes up all of my available space.

Edited by Ognib

I think I will get around to getting a formal inventory of what I have as I need to "thin the herd" again. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that I have bought some kits on impulse or with the idea that I can whip right through a build, which I have proven to be difficult, even with a snap together kit!

I have the camera out for other reasons, I think I will take pictures of the stash this weekend.

This is my collection as of august 2012 till recent when I started building, I like to collect models I once wish I had when I was a teen, that I couldn't afford of a $5 allowance. I like the feeling I get of looking at my closet and seeing all these models, each and everyone of them. Some are rare to find now, I want to wait until im pretty good to build the monte carlo aerobacks and the amt 73 mustang.

post-10617-0-09063500-1374718246_thumb.j

Been playing with my camera and Photoshop to see what I could do with my model area. Here is a panorama shot of one end of my garage. The other end is dedicated to all my other ######! Last inventory which was over 8 years ago, the could stood at 500+. Yes, the file boxes are full and some are stacked two deep, or should that be too deep. :lol: Probably time to thin the herd a bit.

finishedpanorama_zpsc5c959cf.jpg

The wall next to the door is my box art gallery. A few years ago, as I finished a model, I started cutting the box top off the kit writing the date on it and stapling it to the was as a gallery of the finished models. At this rate the box tops will never equal the boxes.

Edited by Pete J.

I thin the herd, and somehow the herd continues to reproduce. Most of my kits are in large plastic storage boxes that I bought at Lowe's, living in a crawlspace area in my basement. Others are boxed, sitting on rollers in the basement. The swap meet dedicated sale kits are in my garage.

Been playing with my camera and Photoshop to see what I could do with my model area. Here is a panorama shot of one end of my garage. The other end is dedicated to all my other ######! Last inventory which was over 8 years ago, the could stood at 500+. Yes, the file boxes are full and some are stacked two deep, or should that be too deep. :lol: Probably time to thin the herd a bit.

finishedpanorama_zpsc5c959cf.jpg

The wall next to the door is my box art gallery. A few years ago, as I finished a model, I started cutting the box top off the kit writing the date on it and stapling it to the was as a gallery of the finished models. At this rate the box tops will never equal the boxes.

I see you put the best 6 center stage!!!

I thin the herd, and somehow the herd continues to reproduce. Most of my kits are in large plastic storage boxes that I bought at Lowe's, living in a crawlspace area in my basement. Others are boxed, sitting on rollers in the basement. The swap meet dedicated sale kits are in my garage.

They're like Tribbles.

It is kind of a priority build thing. In file boxes or up high, not so much a priority, lower and more to the middle, get done sooner. Well, that is the theory. ;)

IMG_2639-vi.jpg

Kinda the same theory... the shelves directly over my bench are all my unfinished projects. If I put them away in the closet, I'd forget about them. Sitting on the shelf right in front of me, every so often I pull one down and finish it!

I've got about 400 to 500 kits.mostly big trucks and cars,but I do have motorcycles and aircraft to.I enjoy my own personal store cause it makes me happy.I get what I'm interested.I have hopes of building it all cause building them are the fun part.I have two of most kits,but some a have more cause there parts kits.I find nothing wrong with collecting kits.if it makes you happy....why not.I have some pictures but just of my work area and what in that room the rest are in the basement.I do have one question,I see some of ya have a MPC 1967.5 firebird...I dudn't know that kit was ever made.can someone post pictures and box info,kit number,I would like to keep my eyes open for one.Thank you,Chris

atleast yall have a hobby store lol i have to go to springfield or st.louis for a kit and i live smack dab in the middle between both but somehow i manage to stock up !!

Dont feel bad i live i. The middle of both and my lhs doesnt really carry anything

And if any of you guys need a adoptive son im right here and u get a granddaughter as a bonus lol

Edited by chevyfever2009

No pix to post but when I inventoried my stash a few years ago the count was at 1,000.I know its more than that now 'cuz I've bought a couple collections and kept the kits from them that I wanted and also just the normal buying of newer kits plus finding deals I couldn't resist.My guess is I'm up to about 1200 kits now.Yes,I'm running out of room in the basement.So it's time to glean some boxes of old magazines and VCR tapes of bygone races-so I can have room for more kits! :wacko: