Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2's 66 Mustang reissue review

oldscool

As requested by a couple of people in the "what did you get today" thread. The pics were taken on a cloudy day so they aren't the sharpest but I fiddled with the brightness and contrast to bring out the details as best as I could.

First off is the box art. I'm sure most of us have seen the box top by now.

IMG_0670.jpg

My favorite art is the stock version on the box end:

IMG_0683.jpg

The new pad printed tires are really nice and represent Goodyear Polyglas bias plies in two sizes:

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

Note that they are not the old L-60 Goodyears that AMT have been using for decades.

Next are some skinny Firestones to represent OEM tires:

IMG_0675.jpg

These aren't as nice as the others as they have soft sidewall detail and the tread looks like old ,cheap 60's recaps.

Next up are the sprues.

The chrome parts:

IMG_0678.jpg

Note that I removed one stock wheel cover from the sprue. Everything else you see is what you get.

Not much flash but the plating could be cleaner (as usual).

The body and chassis:

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

Again some flash but not too bad. The only sink marks are some shallow ones on top of the front fenders.

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

A convertible boot is included and I believe the interior bucket is for a convertible:

IMG_0682.jpg

The decals:

IMG_0681.jpg

The horse head flames aren't bad and the Mr Gasket and M&H decals are useful. What the heck is "green broke" supposed to mean?

Other than the tires, I see nothing that looks as if it has been tweaked or retooled . Maybe just some sprue swapping from other kits? There is a blower belt but no blower and the covered spare which had to have come from another kit.

This is all you get except for the clear window unit, red tailight lenses, metal axles and miniature kit box.

I hope this review is helpful and feel free to ask questions about anything in this kit.

Edited by oldscool

wondering why they put an extra taillight and headlight in the sprue.... but happy to see that the Iron Horse issue dual fuel filler caps are there. i need two correct ones.... the stock tires aren't very good at all, compared to the others.... i seldom use those on ANY builds.

it's essentially the same Mustang we're used to seeing for years; but, that's not a problem to me. it's got good proportions, it goes together well without massive work, and it's not hard to update using parts from other kits. new decals are a welcome change, as well.

Looks much the same as past issues...I've built a few of these from the 'Countdown Series' issue onward. The boot is there from the original '60s tooling---AMT did convertible and 2+2 kits back in '65 and '66, the coupe body came later--based on the promo body, I assume. I like the vintage style box art.

The horse head flames aren't bad and the Mr Gasket and M&H decals are useful. What the heck is "green broke" supposed to mean?

I had to Google that one, too:

green broke

adj

Definition of GREEN BROKE

of a horse

: incompletely broken or trained

Other than the tires, I see nothing that looks as if it has been tweaked or retooled . Maybe just some sprue swapping from other kits? There is a blower belt but no blower and the covered spare which had to have come from another kit.

This is all you get except for the clear window unit, red tailight lenses, metal axles and miniature kit box.

I hope this review is helpful and feel free to ask questions about anything in this kit.

I thought I read that AMT was cleaning up the tooling, as I recall reading lots of complaints about how this one was showing a lot of flash, etc. in the last resissue. but maybe not. A set of wheelie bars, zoomie/weedburner headers and the M&H slicks appear to be the bulk of the optional drag parts, but the lack of a blower is puzzling.

I have to say the Polyglas GT tires look great, so those should please many replica stock musclecar builders. :)

Thank for posting the review, Gerald.

wondering why they put an extra taillight and headlight in the sprue.... but happy to see that the Iron Horse issue dual fuel filler caps are there. i need two correct ones.... the stock tires aren't very good at all, compared to the others.... i seldom use those on ANY builds.

it's essentially the same Mustang we're used to seeing for years; but, that's not a problem to me. it's got good proportions, it goes together well without massive work, and it's not hard to update using parts from other kits. new decals are a welcome change, as well.

Dual filler caps eh...was wondering what they were. Thank you. :D

it's pretty easy to start with this kit and go whole-hog detailing it. really, i hadn't encountered serious flash issues with the last few i worked with...

the headers, custom seats, and dual filler caps were in the Iron Horse kit, one of the permutations of the '66 base kit molds. from what i've discovered restoring my two, they're not simply one or the other of the 64-66 series or the 67-up series... they're a mixed bag.

i'll more than likely snag a couple more of the art box '66's; i like the kit the way it is.

I'm not sure if its mechanically correct, but I used a shortened AMT '73 Cougar chassis under the Stang body and it worked out very well and is a much better replacement for that terrible promo-looking chassis.

100_0918.jpg

100_0926.jpg

Looks pretty close to me. I knew it was just a matter of time before someone used a character from The Big Bang Theory as an avatar. :P

If for nothing more than nostalgia ( or is it a midlife crisis in my case ?) , this'll be in my 'To Build' pile in short order .

I wonder how many parts in this kit are from the George Barris ' Sonny & Cher customised Mustangs from circa '66 ?

Thanks for the detailled review , OldSchool !

What I don't understand is if you're going to the trouble of a new decal sheet (btw, those flamed GT stripes are great), why not throw in some instrument decals for those of us that are lousy at detailing instruments?

wondering why they put an extra taillight and headlight in the sprue..

The explanation I got years ago was the extras were for the promo version AMT did for Ford. The Tail lights at that time had small pins that could be heat sealed inside the body and trap the red lens. They were a bit fragile and easy to break and loose. The headlight was heat sealed too and seems they were dropped or lost easily....that's the story I was told anyway!

Wish they had returned it to 1966 spec 100%....but this is OK.