Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Olds Gasser

Hollywood Jim

Way good, Jim!

Generally, the floorpans will rust out more than the frame, since they are sheet metal and the frame is heavy guage steel. The frame will develop surface rust while the floorpans will rust through in low places (as seen from above ~ think gravity).

I have been testing out some rust ideas on my “found behind the barn” 50 Olds Gasser.

I think I have it where I want it. What do you think?

Img_7894-vi.jpg

Img_7887-vi.jpg

Img_7892-vi.jpg

Jim, I love the way this looks. If you want to change the coloration on the frame, you can probably do so by sponging ever so slightly a lighter color. I think this build is coming along really well.

Pretty convincing, Jim. You're right that the two wouldn't rust the same. Usually, the only cars that I see with that much scaling also have been undercoated at some point, so maybe check out some reference to that effect? I'm sure there's got to be a way you could add it with a combination of wash and some well-placed tissue to represent big chunks flaking off.

Someone else mentioned that much rust there would be holes in the sheet metal. Think where water gets in as well as where it settles. A pop rivet patch job or two would be great.

Can't wait to see the rest.

Edited by Gluhead

Hope you dont mind me asking but what did you use for the engine sludge colours..? how did you mix it..?

Here is what I did. I have some Grimy Black made by Floquil Railroad Colors. The color is perfect, except that it is oil based paint. I wanted acrylic based paint so I can modulate it after it is applied. After the acrylic grime is applied I used water and or alcohol to wash it off a little in certain areas to uncover the original engine color.

So, I took acrylic craft store paint and mixed my own grime. I used Charcoal, Black, White and Gray and mixed them until I got the same color as the Floquil Grimy Black. I also added some fine sand and dust to the mix. The fine sand and dust really makes the grime look real.

Here is what I did. I have some Grimy Black made by Floquil Railroad Colors. The color is perfect, except that it is oil based paint. I wanted acrylic based paint so I can modulate it after it is applied.

Last I looked, Floquil also had a Polly S paint line that had the very same colors, but in acrylic. I have the weathering sets, both Floquil and Polly S.

your rust is great..with that much rust, the spare tire pan in the trucnk would most certainly be rotted thru.. probably the rear fenderwells too..I have a 50 dodge coronet that has thru rust in those places as well as the bottom of the doors and the lip of the trunk... great idea for a gasser!!!

Edited by EL Sid