Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda RX-7 R1

ferrari87

I likes it. Been meaning to pick this kit up, it's dead cheap. Not sure how I'd do one, though.. But I do have an original RX-7 (not sure on the F designation for that.. I know this is an FD and the one before it is an FC, but I've never heard the mk1 being called an FB...)

Clean build.

Love rotary power. Is the carbon fiber painted, decal or how did you do it?

It is a decal from Scale Motorsport. You can find it here. A good tutorial on how to use it on hoods can be found here. I recommend you cut the decal in half while on the backing sheet. I didn't and it was a PIA to properly place.

That garage facade is awesome. Really like how you added the weeds along the bottom edge.

Thank you Kris! That is exactly what I was trying to get at!! Glad you noticed. Thank you.

I likes it. Been meaning to pick this kit up, it's dead cheap. Not sure how I'd do one, though.. But I do have an original RX-7 (not sure on the F designation for that.. I know this is an FD and the one before it is an FC, but I've never heard the mk1 being called an FB...)

Clean build.

Here in the US, '79-'80 are SA22s, '81-'85 are FBs

Guys, I want to thank you all very much for the kind words and support. Scott, thank you for following along from the start, it was a fun trip with this one. I'd love to do a couple more! For future builders, please note that there is a very small part of the directions that instructs you to remove the fender mounted turn indicators. I did not catch this until I started painting the corner markers and I felt that it was too late by then.

I also want to thank you guys for the support on the garage. I couldn't have done it without coming across Philbass's "Restoration" thread and inside of it, a DIY tutorial for the bricks.

Nice build Justin. Looking really good. Nice to see a good turnaround and see you come out on top after your issues with the Aston Martin.

Especially like the garage as well. I think that others may be right about toning down the bricks a bit but otherwise great job.

Chris

Nice build Justin. Looking really good. Nice to see a good turnaround and see you come out on top after your issues with the Aston Martin.

Especially like the garage as well. I think that others may be right about toning down the bricks a bit but otherwise great job.

Chris

Why you gotta bring up old stuff?! Thanks for following along Chris. I plan on taking on a new Aston Martin soon.

I agree, the bricks need a good dark wash and some pigments.