Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why No Modern Pickup's in 1/24 or 1/25 scale?

So after a good 15yr "dark age" of no model building I've decided to take on a couple projects. One being a Galaxie 44' goose neck trailer that has literately been sitting in the box for about 18yrs. So i have the trailer, but i'm finding a serious lack of trucks to model in front of it. When I was building models there were a few snap tite kits of the Dodge ram 2500 SRW, 3500 dually, and Chevy extended cab dually. They seem to be available if you search hard enough, but i'd still like something with a newer body style, or at least a crew cab. After searching the forum I found the Meng F-350 Crew Cab but theres no time frame on its release. But all this searching has left me wondering...

Why haven't we seen more modern 3/4' or 1' Ton truck models in 1/24 or 1/25 scale? I can't believe there isn't a demand for these kits. Have manufacturers given reasons? I'm sure this has been brought up before, and if it has i apoligise. But my searching (or lack there of) didn't revell any answers. Thanks for your guys time.

Yep...Too many middle men....Pretty sure of it....Everybody wants a cut, so.....It's a shame....When a new Corvette comes out, you KNOW there's gonna be a model of it, somewhere....Wondering when the new Sting Ray will be out.....But a truck?? Probably not....I was shocked at the turn of the century when the '99 Chevys came out along with the Ford F-150's....But, since then, nothin'....Those can still be had, too, by the way....

Yep...Too many middle men....Pretty sure of it....Everybody wants a cut, so.....It's a shame....When a new Corvette comes out, you KNOW there's gonna be a model of it, somewhere....Wondering when the new Sting Ray will be out.....

I am surprised that neither Revell nor Round 2 have announced a new Corvette...dragging their feet. I'd love to see a current Silverado, Sierra, F150, Raptor or Ram in scale but not expecting anything...

Edited by Rob Hall

Brandon, One release date is showing this month for the F350

Really? Do you have a link to the web site? I'll pre-order mine today. Thanks Jonathan.

SIMPLE, they don't sell enough kits to break even, yet alone make money. Moebius is coming out with two pickup kits and while they have a good reputation as a kit manufacturer, I don't see them selling the pickup truck kits like hotcakes.

IS there really no demand for these? I see so many modeling oppertunites from stock to fire apparatus, farm hands, flat beds, towing, police, etc. But i guess if there was money to be made we'd see a flurry of kits. That's a real shame.

IS there really no demand for these? I see so many modeling oppertunites from stock to fire apparatus, farm hands, flat beds, towing, police, etc. But i guess if there was money to be made we'd see a flurry of kits. That's a real shame.

There's a demand for them... from a very small group of pickup builders. Not enough demand from the general model building public.

You're absolutely right... if the kit manufacturers felt that a new pickup kit would be profitable, they would make it! But obviously they feel there's not enough demand out there to justify the cost of tooling up a new pickup kit.

Remember... you and all of your friends may want a new kit of a modern pickup, but that group is a very small part of the overall model building consumer base. That's why new pickup kits are so few and far between.

There's a demand for them... from a very small group of pickup builders. Not enough demand from the general model building public.

You're absolutely right... if the kit manufacturers felt that a new pickup kit would be profitable, they would make it! But obviously they feel there's not enough demand out there to justify the cost of tooling up a new pickup kit.

Remember... you and all of your friends may want a new kit of a modern pickup, but that group is a very small part of the overall model building consumer base. That's why new pickup kits are so few and far between.

I guess i'm just looking at this from a truck enthusiast more than a model enthusiast. Didn't realize that segment of model builders was so low. Oh well. Looks like the Meng F-350 wins by default! At this point one can only hope (or at least a very small group :P ) that the Meng kit takes off and sparks enough interest for other kits to be made. Here's crossing my fingers for a Dodge mega cab dually some day! :D

Keep in mind too that there are so many variations of pickups today versus the "old days" of models. Extended cabs, crew cabs, duallies, long beds, short beds, 4wd, 2wd. The list of possibilities is huge and trying to determine which one will be a hit is not easy. As modelers we expect these new kits to be well detailed as opposed to what we got in the 60s through 80s. There was a discussion on here about how some pickup kit beds were lacking detail, the interiors were generic, inaccurate engines and drivelines, wheels, etc.

Now look at the Meng F350 kit that has a MSRP of $75. Looking at the test shots it appears to be well detailed and there will be an outcry if it isn't, many due to price but also because we are demanding.

If the kit manufacturers could tool up a standard cab long bed Silverado and sell it for $20, how many of us would actually buy one? How many of us would use the following list as excuses as to why they didn't buy one:

A. It should have options for 2 & 4wd

B. I drive an extended cab

C. I want a crew cab

D. It doesn't have the engine I want

E. Mine is a shortbed and I want the factory 20 inch wheels

The list could go on and on. Maybe with 3D printing we could have bodies and frames made to order for our individual tastes!

Keep in mind too that there are so many variations of pickups today versus the "old days" of models. Extended cabs, crew cabs, duallies, long beds, short beds, 4wd, 2wd. The list of possibilities is huge and trying to determine which one will be a hit is not easy. As modelers we expect these new kits to be well detailed as opposed to what we got in the 60s through 80s. There was a discussion on here about how some pickup kit beds were lacking detail, the interiors were generic, inaccurate engines and drivelines, wheels, etc.

Now look at the Meng F350 kit that has a MSRP of $75. Looking at the test shots it appears to be well detailed and there will be an outcry if it isn't, many due to price but also because we are demanding.

If the kit manufacturers could tool up a standard cab long bed Silverado and sell it for $20, how many of us would actually buy one? How many of us would use the following list as excuses as to why they didn't buy one:

A. It should have options for 2 & 4wd

B. I drive an extended cab

C. I want a crew cab

D. It doesn't have the engine I want

E. Mine is a shortbed and I want the factory 20 inch wheels

The list could go on and on. Maybe with 3D printing we could have bodies and frames made to order for our individual tastes!

To make a truck kit to appeal to everyone (crew cab, dually option, engine options, 2/4wd options) the kit would cost $200 bucks. People are already balking at the $75 Meng kit.

I think the best hope for a new truck kit is for this Meng kit to sell like crazy and Round2 or Revell to realize they missed the boat and pull something out of their hats.

With the huge popularity of pickups in the real world, I'm truly surprised there's perceived to be insufficient demand for a model or 3. I mean, wasn't it not too long ago that one American pickup was the best selling VEHICLE in the states ?? I haven't checked in a while, so I don't know what today's numbers are.

As usual, I'd be interested in the market-study methodology that determined "insufficient demand".

Price is way too high for the Meng truck. Just is.

So how much SHUOLD it be?

What was the development and licensing cost?

What was the tooling cost?

What are all the other associated costs, like packaging, shipping, paying for box-art and marketing, cost of capital to do the project, etc.??

What are the projected sales figures?

What SHOULD be considered a fair return on investment, over how many years?

With the huge popularity of pickups in the real world, I'm truly surprised there's perceived to be insufficient demand for a model or 3. I mean, wasn't it not too long ago that one American pickup was the best selling VEHICLE in the states ?? I haven't checked in a while, so I don't know what today's numbers are.

As usual, I'd be interested in the market-study methodology that determined "insufficient demand".

Probably the most basic market-study of all, Bill. Last time they whipped one up, they put it out there, and it didn't sell well. So, they're not so quick to do it again.

That seems to be the way the Little Three function and it's certainly the methodology they consistently quote.

And who's to say they're wrong? Only Moebius is flying a different flightplan, IMC tried and failed, and maybe Meng is on that path as well.

Time will tell. B)

Price is way too high for the Meng truck. Just is.

Given the advance pictures of the kit, I would say it probably is spot on. Look at the recent Revell 77 GMC pickup truck with all of it's inaccuracies and that truck has a MSRP of at least $25. Crude bed design, interior tub that is somewhat close, wrong wheels, incorrect intake on engine. Yes, I have bought more than a few of them, mainly for the plow and other pieces but the fact that it has issues will probably prevent me from building more than 3, despite owning close to 10 of them.

And I do realize that I am comparing a kit from over 35 years ago to something more modern, but the discussion is on price. If we want our kits to be more detailed and accurate, we have to be willing to pay for them!

The Meng F350 probably won't be bought in large numbers in the US but maybe across the globe they will. I believe many are exported to other countries due to their status as workhorses and load carrying abilities.

Is $75 a lot for a model kit? It sure is, can only think of 1 model that I have ever bought that was more than that, the last issue of the Revell Can Do Wrecker. Will I buy more than one of this F350 kit? Maybe. Like others have stated, this truck has a lot to offer but also is limited in what one can do with it. I need something like this for a Galaxie LTD trailer, and possibly a couple of other ideas in my head.

I really don't believe the trucks don't sell mantra that always gets bandied about. I think it is far more likely that trucks don't sell under the same model as say a '57 Chevy.

Truck modelers are a very different market than car modelers. It appears the mainstream kit makers can't be bothered to figure out who it is that buys truck models and what they really want. It is quite likely that truck kits need to sell for more and offer more as well. Maybe Revell can turn a profit by selling 300,000 '57 Chevy kits a year at $15 a piece, but trucks need to sell say100,000 units at $40 to make the numbers work. Offering the truck kit at that same $15 will of course result in unsatisfying numbers.

Historically the kit makers have targeted model trucks at model car builders, typically choosing a 1/2 ton light duty truck popular with customizers, not work trucks that would appeal to the heavy semi-truck builders. In fact many of the light truck kits available are of little interest to truck builders unless they are willing to do a fair bit of extra work some not even offering a stock option.

It is very easy to go through and point out the many flaws in the existing truck kits. Trumpeter chose a famous fire truck manufacturer American LaFrance for their attempt at a modern fire engine. Long proud history in ALF, but realistically by 2000 not a top selling brand. Pierce, E-One, KME or longtime rival Seagrave would have been much stronger choices being at the top of the modern fire apparatus market. Then adding insult to injury they choose to base the specific fire engine and markings on an obscure volunteer fire department, not a well known city that might appeal to a broader market. Finally they cut back on production to produce a rather unsatisfying level of detail but still at a high price. The result was again, not that Trumpeter screwed up, but of course no, it was that fire engines don't sell. Reality is that It was a mediocre kit at a premium price. Similar issue with many of their American car kits.

Moebius stands out because they seem to be using a different marketing strategy. They are choosing subjects that are outside of the mainstream, subjects many have said are doomed to fail, but they seem to be doing ok. Yes, a little higher price point, but also better than average quality. When they entered into large trucks, they picked something that would satisfy the primary market (truck builders) desperate for any modern truck, but also something that might appeal to the car builder when they chose to do the Lonestar. That was also a subject that allowed them to do a more desirable subject with truck builders without starting from scratch, the more conventional Prostar.

The Revell F-250 / F350 is the exception to truck kits, being aimed more towards the commercial builder. The similar vintage Dodge and Chevy duallys are snap kits, desirable only for subject matter.

So when these discussions come up and people say "trucks don't sell", well of course they don't, nobody has really made a serious effort to find out what a truck builder wants to buy.

It will be interesting to see how Meng does, this is the first real effort in a long time. $70 is a lot for a kit, time to see if the people clamoring for truck kits are willing to spend the money. I know I've dropped that much on just a resin cab, so paying that for a complete kit doesn't seem too bad a deal.

Edited by Aaronw

To make a truck kit to appeal to everyone (crew cab, dually option, engine options, 2/4wd options) the kit would cost $200 bucks. People are already balking at the $75 Meng kit.

Why haven't we seen new pickup kits? Simple, no manufacturer has ordered a promo run. The last, most recent model year trucks all were a by product of promotional models ordered by GM, Ford and Chrysler. And from what I've seen, they weren't breaking any sales records. You can still buy them, as well as many of the promos for $10-20 at shows.

For late model trucks, your best bet is diecast. Take them apart, strip them down and finish them as you wish. Yea, that makes them models!

Note that the Meng truck isn't targeted at the US market. It's being done in 1/24 so they're focusing on the Asian and European markets, places that won't balk at the necessary asking price. We'll see them cheaper than the $75 MSRP but guys will still whine that they're not $2 like the old days.

Ford just happens to be the fastest growing brand in China right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were developing this truck for their home market. Go to the Ford China website and the first thing you'll see are photos of the new Mustang. Yea, the largest potential auto market on the planet loves American cars...

Edited by Tom Geiger