Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 '69 Camaro Z/28 (New Foose Kit) BMF Done 6/2

ImpalaBoy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I, too, can't wait to see the finished product, but I guess that's sort of up to me :P

I traded a set of my Foose wheels with 57peppershaker for these gorgeous Goodyear Eagles. (Thank you, again!) It took quite a bit of trimming to get the rally wheels to fit, but they sure look good. Any tips on painting the raised lettering?

if i may ask?

what sort of trimming did you do to get those wheels to fit inside the Goodyears?

i've been looking at the wheels myself but they look way to big to fit in there..

i would really like to use them in order to get some meat in the wheel wells

the stock ones look to skinny ...considering this was a high performance car back then

It was VERY tedious, I must admit. I was also glad I had two sets to work with, since I messed up one of them. I used an x-acto knife and 150 grit sandpaper to get the majority of the material off. I wish you good luck :)

Tedious, but it looks like you did an excellent job! B)

just saw what mr Thibausometing did with this kit...

still don't have a clue what's knocking people about the other magazine...

but he built this thing Foose style..and i like it.. some more detailing would knock it out of the park...

maybe it's not realistic (cross rams aren't easy picked up streetcorner),,,and the wheels are a little big ..

but i like it ..give the guys ...be it Foose or Revell some credit..

it looks great..

Andrew, get yourself a white Gel Pen from Michaels or Hobby Lobby, that's what I use for raised white letters. They may be a bit hard to find, but they're out there, and they work great!

99EclipseBB0161-vi.jpg

1969Barracuda0235-vi.jpg

This one's been done for about 17 years now, and the white Gel Pen's ink is still as nice as the day I put it on!

1968Cutlass023-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Andrew love your build! The tires you selected is fantastic. I wish I saw this sooner. I was so mad at the kit tires that I went another direction.The suspension is changed. Narrowed the rear springs and mini tubbed the wheelhouse. I wanted a stock build but not to be. Keep up the great work!

post-7810-0-32864100-1412827239_thumb.jp

post-7810-0-86880300-1412827259_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

A very beautiful build - thanks for the inspiration and ideas. Lovely to examine your work.

Mike K.

Thank you very much. I see you're doing yours in the same color scheme. Well, the exterior anyway. I look forward to seeing how yours comes out as well. Maybe it'll give me a kick in the pants to start working on mine again!

Andrew, I have been following your build for a while now and must say you have everything right. I have built two of them myself and never used the decal stripes. I found painting them on is a lot nicer looking. Once you get enough clear coat on them and wet sand the rest you can't notice. Engine looks bang on to me as well. The whole model is a real nice kit to build and I would build another one as well. Keep up the good work, will be watching.

Ken. B)

Greetings,

Maybe relating what I'm planning will indeed kick start your efforts to complete here. If funds allow, maybe just quickly assembly a hack chassis painted all in black to put your expertly finished shell on wheels, and then in a low key and low stress sense attack a duplicate chassis for buying another kit? As many people tell me, it's supposed to be fun. Perhaps I'm just revealing more of my own makeup than I am yours, but all the same we're all extremely impressed with the work you did on the stripes in particular.

I don't know - it just seems that I'm also given to making things so complex and literal that I dare not mate some very nice assembly with something I fear won't match the quality of finish or fabrication seen elsewhere. In short, my Daytona Yellow Z/28 will be done almost box stock but for wheels and tires. A second Olympic Gold Z/28 might be done with thing simply not on the planning cards for the simpler predecessor in the form of things most of us could identify as matters crying out for addition on the very good 1:12 Revell/Monogram 1969 Camaro tool. Kind regards...

Mike K.

What color and brand did you use to get the cadmium goldish color on the engine parts?

What about the intake manifold and tranny?

The gold color on the carbs is a mix of Testors 1144 Gold and 1146 Silver. The transmission and intake are either 1180 Flat Steel or 1181 Aluminum, all Testors enamel.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...