Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many model A Ford kits are there ?

This thread is about Model "A" Ford kits. A group that falls within these years 1928-1931, not to be confused with Fords that came after this.

The Model "B" ( four cylinder version of the model 18, by the way a term not used by Ford) built only one year 1932.

The model "C" ( another term not used by Ford) being of the year 1933.

Sorry no model "D" ;)

"Model B" was used by Ford, but not really advertised that much--Ford's advertising for 1932 focused on the Model 18, but even that was referred to in most ad copy as the New Ford V8. Apparently the reason for this was a concern that some potential buyers would be afraid of "gambling" on the "newfangled" V8 engine, so the B was referred to, in some advertising, as "The Improved Model A" (which in many ways, it was). "B" was used, however, throughout 1932 as the prefix to body style numbers (witness "B-400", which was the body style number for the Convertible Sedan). Model B was used for 4-cylinder pickup trucks (it was a few months before V8 engine production reached a level which allowed Ford to begin installing them in trucks and commercial vehicles. Even then, all Ford heavy-duty trucks (1- to 1-1/2 ton) were referred to as Model BB trucks not only in Ford literature but also on the street, 1932-34 (as a follow-on progression of Model TT and Model AA trucks).

You are correct that officially there was never was a Ford Model C, that coming from a curious casting code of a raised letter C on the engine block of 4-cylinder engines produced in 1933-34 (Ford dropped the Model B 4-cylinder engine in midyear 1934, due to very low sales)

Art

From what I just read the Model B was the 4 cylinder version and the Model 18 (Ford V8-8) was the V8 version of the Model B

As far as I am concerned it is in the same grouping as the Model A . The Model 18 had a larger more powerful engine and longer wheelbase

Jon, there is no difference in wheelbase (or for that matter in the chassis whatsoever) between the 4-cylinder and V8 versions of the 1932 Ford. All US-produced Ford passenger cars for 1932 rode on the same identical 106" wheelbase chassis.

Art

Jon, there is no difference in wheelbase (or for that matter in the chassis whatsoever) between the 4-cylinder and V8 versions of the 1932 Ford. All US-produced Ford passenger cars for 1932 rode on the same identical 106" wheelbase chassis.

Art

Art

I was referencing to the Model A and the Model 18 engine size and wheel base. The A having a 201ci 40hp and a wheelbase of 103" and the Model 18 having a 221 65hp and a 106" wheelbase. Sorry if it was confusing

From what I just read the Model B was the 4 cylinder version and the Model 18 (Ford V8-8) was the V8 version of the Model B

As far as I am concerned it is in the same grouping as the Model A . The Model 18 had a larger more powerful engine and longer wheelbase

You are correct as to the nomenclature for the V8 version of the 1932 Ford . . . I committed a dastardly typographic error. It was, indeed the Model 18 and I knew that but typed wrong. My apologies.

But the thread is "Model A" which does not include Model Bs or Model 18s, any more than the Mustangs are Model As by virtue of being in the "all Fords" 'set' or 'grouping.'

B)

Edited by Danno

Interesting perspective. My first car was a Model A. LH11_r108_01.jpg Everywhere I went " Nice model T".To a lot of people, especially those unversed in car makes and years, they "Group" similar (not same) cars all in one broad "Group". And we ain't pickin' "Nits" here, we're talking about Model A Fords.

Edited by Greg Myers

You are correct as to the nomenclature for the V8 version of the 1932 Ford . . . I committed a dastardly typographic error. It was, indeed the Model 18 and I knew that but typed wrong. My apologies.

But the thread is "Model A" which does not include Model Bs or Model 18s, any more than the Mustangs are Model As by virtue of being in the "all Fords" 'set' or 'grouping.'

B)

And I thought I acknowledged that in my edit of my first post <_<

Interesting perspective. My first car was a Model A. LH11_r108_01.jpg Everywhere I went " Nice model T".To a lot of people, especially those unversed in car makes and years, they "Group" similar (not same) cars all in one broad "Group". And we ain't pickin' "Nits" here, we're talking about Model A Fords.

again: And I thought I acknowledged that in my edit of my first post <_<:rolleyes:

so is that a Model B/Model 18 Grill shell

Yep. VERY common modification. The '32 grille/radiator shell (only one year, by the way . . . the '33 radiator shell was much different again) is generally considered to be better looking than the 28-28 or 30-31 shells.

Ooops. I forgot to smile. :)

Edited by Danno

Let's see: of the kits shown, I've had the AMT '29 roadster (channeled on '32 rails; dismantled long ago but still have the body); the Revell '30 sedan (way too fiddly for me to get the body together when I was 12); the Monogram '30 Phaeton twice (still have a stock early built-up); the AMT '28 sedan and '29 woody/pickup (as yet unbuilt), and three Hubleys (sedan when I was 11 - finished it! - and unbuilt phaeton and Victoria that I'll probably end up building because no one else wants them...). Really liked the Monogram kit best for building.

Has anyone built the '29 woody or '28 sedan and had any issues with them?

Here's two more A's I didn't see on here or at least different box art. Nice thread Greg.IMG_6678_zps69bf2c1c.jpgIMG_6680_zps9e2dc719.jpg

Uhm, Ron....

That Sedan Delivery is a 1926 Model T, not a Model A (one giveaway is that Model A Ford production did not begin until early December 1927--and then as a 1928 Ford.

Art

what I would like to see is an analysis of those never ending just a little bit different from last time or maybe not even reissues that probably make up 90% of the majors offering. sort of a family tree of the model a from say AMT Revell Lindberg and that would probably be that. it would probably also boil down 100 "offerings" into 5 or so basic tools with little extras here and there and maybe a non-reversable tool change midstream or two.

jb

Edited by jbwelda