Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher 1931 Alfa Romeo 2300 Monza

Harry P.

^^^Just beautiful. Painting makes a lot of the laminate construction of the rim 'go away'.

Thanks again and keep it going-can't get enough of your detail work.

Thinking of Marvin's tires?? These actually look quite good.

A true masterpiece, Harry, and excellent text. This is definitely material for the magazine -- and a special occasion, since you actually FINISHED it! :lol:

However, it would be good to see more full-body shots from a variety of angles. I'd like a better look at your hood piano hinge.

This build addresses all the main issues I face with my 1/15 Bugatti T59 - safety wire, hood piano hinge, replace the Brooklands windscreens, re-do the exhaust (and wrap it with asbestos), seat material, rivets, etc. Except I've got to do this on a diecast body.

Edited by sjordan2

I'd like a better look at your hood piano hinge.

Impossible.

I attached the hood, it's not a lift-off anymore. I pushed the kit-supplied hood center hinge's pin back so that it sticks out at the rear, and added a short section of piano wire in front so that I had hinge pin extending out from both ends of the hinge... then I drilled a hole in the firewall and carved a small block of styrene that also has a small hole drilled in it and glued it to the grille shell, with the hood held in between by the extended center hinge pins, like on the real car. And because my paper piano hinge is on the inside, you can't see it unless the hood is open... then you can see it as in the photo I posted. But there's no way for me to get "inside" the hood now and photograph the hinge.

Trust me, it looks just like the kit's metal hinge, only not quite as crisp and precise, because it's made out of paper.

Painting makes a lot of the laminate construction of the rim 'go away'.

Right, especially in black. All those seams just visually disappear and the rims look like one solid piece.

BTW... have you seen Marvin's new wheels? They're working on them... one piece rims! Bet they're going to be expen$ive...

Trust me, it looks just like the kit's metal hinge, only not quite as crisp and precise, because it's made out of paper.

A possible alternative is .005" baking pan aluminum. I used it a lot on the GT-40 and it's very cut-able and bend-able.

And yes Marvin's rims will be beauts but they are a little behind their announced availability date. Also mega-bucks but that goes without saying with those guys.

Edited by Harry P.

Seriously Harry-how will you display them? A cabinet with doors? Surely you want them dust free. And I forgot-you also have the Benz done and Sedanca in process! Great if you have big rooms but...how will you group them?

For my RR, I'm intending to do another of my glass cases for both display and storage.

I know it will be a heavy sucker (and large) but I dread exposure to dust and humidity. All that unplated metal will turn in room humidity. And I just can't like plexi for the rag-scratching.

• 2 weeks later...

Harry, what a master piece. It will be a center of the display any place. I have the same kit but I don't know if its first issue or what, but the box art has one white and one red (I think) car on it. I will have to see what year it was made. Anyway, I'm interested to read more about all those inaccuracies you talked about. Did you build it online here or some other site that I can read?? TIA.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...