Model Cars Magazine Forum

Minicraft or Minicrapft? Building advice wanted for my next build

I just helped my daughter finish a Minicraft Model A truck in 1/16th.

While I enjoyed coaching her through this build, I was in deep despair at a few points during the build as I tried to engineer around the problems. The kit was badly warped, and I am not just talking about a part here and there. At times, I started to believe that every part in the kit was warped. Early on, while I was considering throwing this kit into the trash, I had visions of hunting down the engineer and quality control people, and giving them a piece of my mind.

While I consider myself a "good" builder, nearly everyone on this sub-forum has skills that are light years ahead of me. I have learned a great deal on this forum, but I am really lacking in my skill set with difficult builds, as I did with this kit. At the same time, I look at what most of you are doing with severe kit problems, and you are fixing them with ease.

I have read conflicting reports about the Minicraft Ford Model A kits. Most say that they are difficult, at best, but a few say that the Minicraft kits "have their issues, but they are not that bad."

I've never kit-bashed anything, but I would love to, just so I can challenge my skills and ability.

I am considering trying to buy a Minicraft Model A roadster and trying to build a hot rod, using parts from the AMT 1964 Mustang...but I am worried that I'll get another warped Minicraft kit.

Also playing into this is that money isn't growing on trees around here. I want to make wise decisions before I drop money into a kit.

Should I try to find a deal on the Minicraft roadster and a junk Mustang kit, or kick the idea to the curb, and buy the new Foose Camaro?

Are the Minicraft kits all Minicrapfts?

Thoughts???

If you had trouble building the Minicraft kit, the Mustang won't be much better. Minicraft does have a Hot Rod version of the Model A . The problem I see is that large scale is never easy, just because of the size. If you want to build and kit bash why not work in a smaller scale, especially if budget is a concern. Why not ask for suggestions on kits to get with an emphasis on how well they are engineered.

Thank you, Mike.

I have actually built the AMT Mustang in 1/16th. That kit did present some issues, but nothing like the Minicraft A truck.

I have seen the Minicraft A hot rod, but would like to challenge my skills with a very mild bash. (Yes, I can hear all of you pro's laughing at me!!!)

I'm not big on smaller scale stuff, but did enjoy a Revell level 3 kit in 1/25 a few years ago. Exceptionally nice build for me...I enjoyed that kit immensely.

Jeff, I have acquired a couple minicraft Model A kits, the ones I have don't seem to be warped but there was a couple parts which seem to be broken and off sprue.

I suggest getting a glue bomb (or even an unbuilt) AC Cobra to kit bash with since there will be some real good suspension parts to turn your minicraft-A into a fine piece of hot rod art.

Just take your time and expect to make changes and adjustments...

You're going to find a wide range of quality variations in Minicraft kits since so many of them were originally issued by different manufacturers.

You can see several builds and commentaries on them here. Regardless of original manufacturer, most of the 1/16 kits listed (except Rolls) have been issued by Minicraft.

http://www.freewebs.com/martsmodels/

Edited by sjordan2