Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevy Black Widow convertible - follow up

Alyn

Because of the excellent reference material available on-line, I wanted to build a 57 Chevy convertible. Because 1. I didn't have one, and 2. The Revell Black Widow is such a great kit, I decided to convert (no pun intended) it. I cut the top off, and reshaped the rear deck area to mimic the convertible body. Interior floor and dash were modified to show the bare structural look. The interior side panels and top frame are scratch built. Throw in a bit of engine detail and some weathering and you have budget build that just rolled out of the paint shop.

Img_2769b.jpg?psid=1

Img_2781b.jpg?psid=1

Img_2783b.jpg?psid=1

Img_2787b.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Alyn

I drive by that place every day and see that unfinshed Checy just sitting in the garage. It's been there for years and never seems to be worked on.

I always want to stop and ask if he want's to sell it. I slow down, but go on by every time because i know he will just tell me like so many others have "I'm going to finish her some day"!

Thank you all for the great comments, especially Mike and Chuck. Your comments made my day! :)

Jim, the door panels are easy. You just keep sanding off the upholstery panels until the underlying metal structure is revealed. Actually, I normally take lots of pics during a build to do a WIP, but on this one I was up against a deadline and didn't take hardly any. Building the door panels required a heavy reliance on good reference photos (the internet) and amount to nothing more than duplicating the weird cut-outs found on this sort of panel. Lots of various size small holes to drill as well. I shot the doors in primer and then airbrushed the blue around the edges. This left the center in primer.

Johnny, I'm looking for a good steel front clip, then it'll be time to get this baby on the road.

Virgil, anything to please EYEGORE :)

Glad you all like it. This kind of build really gets the brain juices flowing.

Thanks again for the great words of encouragement.

I found a used front clip the other day and talked the guy out of it for under a $1,000.00. It's hard to find original steel these days. The drivers fender was in bad shape. A metal lamp post had fallen on it and crushed the area around the headlight. I already had one fender that was pretty rusty, but was able to cut out a piece and weld it onto the clip. It still needs paint and body work, but should look good once it's all in blue.

Actually, I was rifling through the kit box and when I came across the clip I had cut off, I set it on the car for kicks. The off-color (white plastic) clip looked pretty cool on the car, so I decided to paint it up and have the option of displaying the car with or without the clip.

The paint work is almost done, so I'll take a picture or two and post up a little later.

Edited by Alyn