Model Cars Magazine Forum

death race car build off (official WIP page)

diymirage

Really late to the start, but thought I would throw my hat in the ring. I am not promising to have this one done in three months so, but I will try. Dug out a Donks kit that I grabbed at big lots a while back. The idea was actually percolating in my brain since I started reading this thread a couple of months ago. So without further ado, I present 'Vlad the Impala'

Vlad2.jpg

Here I have shaved off the side trim. Added weld seams on the door, can't have it flying open at high speed. I added some 'sheet metal' to strengthen the sides from impact. I also removed the passenger's door handle. If you can't open it why have it? You can also see some of the armament I have choosen.

Vlad.jpg

These are browning 30 cals and some 20mm cannons that came from a Trumpeter 1/24 Spitfire I had laying around. The cannon barrels have been lengthened through the use of styrene tubing and Aluminum tubing for end of the barrels. The brownings are just as they came from the kit. I put them on the car to gain some reference in size.

cannons.jpg

Here are some closer shots of the cannons. They originally had fairings due to the fact that they are intended for a fighter aircraft. The fairing was cut off and then the barrel was lengthened for intimidation. I am not sure where they will be mounted. I don't know yet where these will go. I am thinking right next to the driver with some sort of ocular aiming device ALA longbow apache type system.

brownings.jpg

These are the four brownings. Two will be mounted in the trunk using the existing taillight holes for the muzzles to exit from. I haven't decided what kind of mounting the other two will receive. Most likely it will be some sort of turret like mount.

Finally figured out a BIG gun for the Pony AckAckAck. Raided a buncha

military toys I got some time ago for an art project I dreamed up ;) and

found 4 big ackack-ers. Rigged up a mount for atop das turret, made mods

to the machinen guns and glued it all together. Set it up with my ratty

Fleetliner for target practise :D and started 'shooting' :D !Ponyattack1-vi.jpg

This sled is HUGE--hard to get a decent pic of the whole thing :blink: ....

Pa5-vi.jpg

As usual, I gotta 'play' with my pix, attempting to make some action shots :o

Pa3-vi.jpg

'Painted' it here, not exactly how I plan in the 'real' world, but close.

Pa4-vi.jpg

Gotta inflict some battle damage and then it's PAINTIN' time........Can't wait ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Vlad has been joined by a buddy. I am actually thinking of making Vlad into a 'support' type vehicle. I haven't come up with a name, but the idea hit me walking down one of the isles at Hobby Lobby.

ROUNDS.jpg

GUN.jpg

FULLON.jpg

Chassis is a Monogram 50 Ford pickup. Weapon so far is a Tamiya german 7.5 cm PAK 40. Brass shells are from Tamiya as well. In 1/24-25th it would work out to about a 50-55mm gun. I figure I will add some armor for the gun crew and maybe a couple flexible gun mounts with 30 cals as well. Vlad will become a very well armed ammo carrier...

Hello all!! I hope the build-off hasnt been put on the back burner!. I just got my artillery in so business continues as usual. Then I thought of all the wieght my 'macho mustang has been added I had to upgrade the engine bay. I tore the engine open and upgraded cam and piston liftin and added a turbo system. Well not really but just to make look like it got the turbo installed. heres some pics then off to finallly get the front end armored..

DSCF3595.jpg

DSCF3596.jpg

DSCF3598.jpg

Im still pluggin away i dont know if this is still going on but I will finish this project cause this is as fun as the detail and cool painting projects too.

Keep on wit the keepin on!!!

peace

ajulia

Tito, You got a 106MM. cannon, a coupla M-60's and a .50 Cal. plus whatever else I don't know about, so, you needn't be afraid of nobody, now go out there an do me PROUD! :lol:

Hola hermano!! Gracias loco!<--- for the lead spitters...Yeah but did ya see what was on that pickup truck. Dang!! This build-off for me has been nuttin but fun I learned alot not having to worry about this color paint not wanting to be on this color and so on!!!. Im not sure of the end date but I know its in March Would love to see where everyone are at this point..

peace

ajulia

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to get something done.

Little Armour Plating since I plan to be in front of yuz all

And in-case yuz get too close, a few self defense Flares(?)and weapons.

Top hatch for reloading rockets, 1 on 1 shooting, and escape.

Firstpicsof09-14.jpg

Little something to help push Uz out of the way.

Firstpicsof09-11.jpg

Front tire guards (don't know what to do with the centers yet)

and my Night Vision/tracker system Dome.

DEATHRACERS! Prepare for GLORY!

That's right gang, the Spartan is back in the race. I have aquired a 300C on Ebay for an absurdly low price to replace the chassis I ruined. Gonna do some weathering on the body to lose the ugly gold color and we'll see what develops.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...