Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt 33' Willy's (mostly)

Codi

Hi Dave, wIthout a doubt my favorite part of this build was the engineering & fabbing of the entire chassis and drivetrain. The fun is having a vision and then bringing it to life. Just like your models and for that matter, your 1:1 37' Chevy. Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to see them personally.

Cheers,

Tim

• 3 months later...

Tim...I am another one who just re-entered the hobby after some 40+ years out of it. When married life turned to being a husband and father, I hung up the tools and turned to diecast to keep the automotive fires burning. I also wrote for Toy Cars and Models Magazine as well as the utterly mismanaged, now out-of-business, The Car Room Magazine. I have met a lot of good friends in the diecast business who worked for The Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint that are master modelers as well as former diecast designers.

Detail like this is rarely seen in diecast and certainly hits the upper 5% of anything I have ever seen. In fact, your builds come very close to what is produced by Marshall Buck from CMA Models!!!!

I saw the feature article in Model Cars Magazine that landed in my mailbox yesterday and when I saw the pictures of just the rear end...I suddenly realized I needed to throw my shorts in the trash (again! :blink: ).

Outstanding work!

Brian Schindler

Manny, Michael and JC, thank you for the compliments, I am truly flattered. We finish them and put them on the shelf and sort of forget them as we move onto the next build. But when I recieved my copy of the magazine, of course I went out and bought some more. Just for posterity right? :) Seriously, to have the build be received so positively by fellow builders means a lot to me.

Brian, wow. That is a heck of a background you have. And your assessment of my skills is greatly appreciated. I look forward to seeing some WIPs soon of yours and welcome back to the hobby.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Harry P. and MCM for his (their) assistance in putting together the article for the magazine. He truly did justice to the car and build and was VERY generous in the coverage he provided for it. Again, thank you.

Cheers, Tim

Manny, Michael and JC, thank you for the compliments, I am truly flattered. We finish them and put them on the shelf and sort of forget them as we move onto the next build. But when I recieved my copy of the magazine, of course I went out and bought some more. Just for posterity right? :) Seriously, to have the build be received so positively by fellow builders means a lot to me.

Brian, wow. That is a heck of a background you have. And your assessment of my skills is greatly appreciated. I look forward to seeing some WIPs soon of yours and welcome fback to the hobby.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Harry P. and MCM for his (their) assistance in putting together the article for the magazine. He truly did justice to the car and build and was VERY generous in the coverage he provided for it. Again, thank you.

Cheers, Tim

Funny, I never really thought much about Hot Rod in scale until I started reviewing Rick Hanmore's designs for the Danbury Mint.

It was these 2 cars that did it for me...

LDC

Kookies Kar

I am working on a Danbury 40 Ford Coupe. I'll get some pics later

• 8 months later...

I just have to comment on this one again as it is so stunning and I often come back to study the pictures one again. This build is of epic proportions and rates as the most inspirational build of where i'd like to progress in own skills. Thanks for posting Tim and I for one am glad you returned to the hobby. Cheers my friend.