Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg's '64 Plymouth "Lawman"

Bartster

Don't look for this to be released

I just love declarative statements like that. Round2, and all it's employees have the same fondness when it comes to car kits. Film cars, and race cars. When it comes to race cars they looooooove Petty. You can bet your house, your hiney and your housecat that one will get a re-issue in the not too distant future. Between the 330 and the Plymouth, there were about what, eight versions of the two...maybe more? That's alot of real estate covered in one Dodge and one Plymouth. R2 also likes changing out decals to stretch the sales as well. The Lawman will eventually get released. When it does it will have decals from the R2 artshop and not Lindberg. They just acquired the company and the ink isn't even dry yet. Give them a few months to finish inventory of the molds, facilities and assets.

As more recent tools, and some of the better tools coming from Lindberg in the last decade or two i'm certain you can expect to see them repurposed soon as R2 gets time to work something up...a little kangaroo told me. ;)

P.S. In my opinion Fred Cady decals are junk! Anytime you have to register a decal yourself by layering?! It's 2013...you can do much better on your own these days than Cady!

Edited by MAGNUM4342

IMO, it doesn't matter who's livery it's released as.

But, Make the most of it and modify the body to reflect a 2 door sedan .

IMO, this would be a much better than just a decals / box art change. Although that direction would be considerably cheaper .

IMO, it doesn't matter who's livery it's released as.

But, Make the most of it and modify the body to reflect a 2 door sedan .

IMO, this would be a much better than just a decals / box art change. Although that direction would be considerably cheaper .

Agreed, a 2 door post Plymouth (especially a Savoy) would open up a lot more possibilities. The LAWMAN was the only hardtop Plymouth Super Stocker I know of. (And Eckstrand even ran a 2 door post LAWMAN at one point).

But all the LAWMAN needs is a decal sheet and a box big enough to cram in all the sprues it would take from both kits.

I just love declarative statements like that. Round2, and all it's employees have the same fondness when it comes to car kits. Film cars, and race cars. When it comes to race cars they looooooove Petty. You can bet your house, your hiney and your housecat that one will get a re-issue in the not too distant future. Between the 330 and the Plymouth, there were about what, eight versions of the two...maybe more? That's alot of real estate covered in one Dodge and one Plymouth. R2 also likes changing out decals to stretch the sales as well. The Lawman will eventually get released. When it does it will have decals from the R2 artshop and not Lindberg. They just acquired the company and the ink isn't even dry yet. Give them a few months to finish inventory of the molds, facilities and assets.

As more recent tools, and some of the better tools coming from Lindberg in the last decade or two i'm certain you can expect to see them repurposed soon as R2 gets time to work something up...a little kangaroo told me. ;)

P.S. In my opinion Fred Cady decals are junk! Anytime you have to register a decal yourself by layering?! It's 2013...you can do much better on your own these days than Cady!

I can't wait to see what they come up with for some of the Lindberg kits. Box art is such a powerful sales tool for a model kit, I don't think Lindberg ever understood that (no offense to anyone who ever built a box art model for them, I know there are a couple guys on here who did) they never had cool box art.

While Fred Cady's decals weren't the greatest, his decals did serve a purpose and helped many a modeler build many different cars with his decals. He's been retired for awhile now, so 2013 doesn't count in this case.

But all the LAWMAN needs is a decal sheet and a box big enough to cram in all the sprues it would take from both kits.

Is that even, well, not possible, but realistic? To include sprues A, B and D from the '64 Plymouth with the tires, chrome sprue, and sprues C and E from the '64 Dodge kits? That would require molding both kits, then mixing the various sprues correctly for packaging, and then what to do with the leftovers? Don't say Parts Packs, as nobody wants a bench seat and roll bar parts packs. I just don't see that making good financial sense, essentially including parts from two kits, when the builder can only build one model from those parts.

Now, if Round2 had the ability to open and close sprue gates on the Lindberg molds to limit which parts are molded, I guess it would be possible, but 2/3 of a kit still takes occupies the the injection molding machine the same as a full kit does, and the post-molding packaging sequence is far easier, too.

Is that even, well, not possible, but realistic? To include sprues A, B and D from the '64 Plymouth with the tires, chrome sprue, and sprues C and E from the '64 Dodge kits? That would require molding both kits, then mixing the various sprues correctly for packaging, and then what to do with the leftovers? Don't say Parts Packs, as nobody wants a bench seat and roll bar parts packs. I just don't see that making good financial sense, essentially including parts from two kits, when the builder can only build one model from those parts.

Now, if Round2 had the ability to open and close sprue gates on the Lindberg molds to limit which parts are molded, I guess it would be possible, but 2/3 of a kit still takes occupies the the injection molding machine the same as a full kit does, and the post-molding packaging sequence is far easier, too.

Bah, it's just styrene. Chuck 'em back in the hopper!

Agreed, a 2 door post Plymouth (especially a Savoy) would open up a lot more possibilities. The LAWMAN was the only hardtop Plymouth Super Stocker I know of. (And Eckstrand even ran a 2 door post LAWMAN at one point).

Golden Commandos / Hamilton Motors also had a 1964 Plymouth 2 door hardtop , ,,,,,,2 cars actually, A max wedge car early in the season , And I think some time later a Hemi car - Which 'I think' is just the max wedge with the 'new' Hemi installed, then the RO 1964 Hemi sedan showed up later on

IMO, this would be a better marketing subject to re-badge the box art compared to the Lawman

pitcock64Plymouth-GoldenComanndos.jpg

Notice the class number has changed and it now has a 2 head light grille

Edited by gtx6970

I have quite a fondness for the 60-70 Plymouths as that is all my family owned. I must do that car! Does anyone make that color? I have for years suspected that the Cady decal was the wrong color but this is the first time I have seen that top photo.

Thanks

Steve B

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand ----and believe me , I'm as dumb as a bag of bricks---- the 1964 Super Stock Plymouths and Dodges were available in two flavours :

-- Early , Stage III 426 Wedge were 'sedans' (e.g. , the B-pillar / framed glass)

-- "Late" , 426 Hemi were hardtops

I could be *wrong* on this ; it may've been a wives' tale from eons ago that the Wedges were 'sedans' and Hemis were hardtops .

Well here's Al and his '64 Hardtop. This was an original promotional photo from 1964. He also had a Sedan. Look on the web, it's not hard to find. If you still doubt that the real car ever existed, don't buy the model kit!

Personally I'm ecstatic to have the kit back on the shelves again!

Jim Kampmann

post-8590-0-91207000-1366672191_thumb.jp

Well here's Al and his '64 Hardtop. This was an original promotional photo from 1964. He also had a Sedan. Look on the web, it's not hard to find. If you still doubt that the real car ever existed, don't buy the model kit!

Personally I'm ecstatic to have the kit back on the shelves again!

Jim Kampmann

Trust me, I am well aware there was a Lawman in a 1964 Plymouth 2 door hardtop,,,my comment was to the fact I don't believe a Hemi 2 door hardtop ever existed as a factory built car.

Every reference I have on the Lawman is the 2 door hardtop was a maxwedge car, and the 2 door sedan was a Hemi car.

Max wedge cars usually have the 4 headlight grille, and the double lump hood scoop.

Hemi cars were 2 headlight grille and a wider and longer but almost smooth top hood scoop

Here's the Hemi car you're referring to. My guess is Ekstrand got a Sedan later in the year (hence this photo at Indy). You are correct, this car would have the single headlight grille, Hemi scoop, etc. The Hardtop would have been at Pomona in '64. Remember, the 426 Hemi became available in '64 with King Richard at Daytona (also a hardtop).

Jim Kampmann

post-8590-0-05834200-1366756221_thumb.jp

I don't really understand all the hullabaloo over this kit. It's nothing but a decal and box art change from any one of the earlier 64 Plymouth kits is it not ?

IMO, if they want to really make a splash with it , tool it to reflect a sedan body

Edited by gtx6970

No - it's a version that previously would have taken the purchase of 2 kits (A 64 Belvedere and one of the Dodge Super Stocks) and a seriously inaccurate set of decals from Fred Cady to build a reasonable facsimile of this car.

The Belvedere was only done as a street car and Nascar HEMIs, it was never done as a Super Stock.

Lindberg's sprue layout made it close to impossible for them to easily box up the parts needed to do it, you need something from almost every tree in both kits to build it.

Would a 2-door post or a Savoy be cool, if not cooler, sure, but that would take a new-tool body. Maybe we'll get it down the road, but for now getting Lindberg back to relevance for as little $$$ as possible would appear to be Round 2's mission.

There were resin Savoy bodies (R&R?) out there, made for the Johan kit IIRC.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Oh don't get me wrong It's good to have the Lindberg Mopars back no matter what variant. I'll buy a few,,,,, well just because. And I assume this will be a max wedge car ?

Anyone know if the all of the secondary color is going to be via decals ( similar to the Color Me gone Dodge ) or just the side panel lettering ?

I think R+R makes a sedan and like said I think it's for the johan chassis. but I think JF makes one for the LIndberg kit.

But I was less than pleased with either, so I have already started a conversion to make my own 2 door sedan for the Lindberg kits.

Edited by gtx6970